Thursday, August 16, 2018

Thursday's Doings

Even though I woke up relatively early on Wednesday (after approximately 3 hours of sleep, I may add), and I didn't take an afternoon nap (although I felt a bit sleepy around 5:00 p.m. and rested a bit), I didn't fall asleep again till 3:30 a.m., this morning.  So, I gave myself permission to sleep in this morning, and slept till 11:00 a.m.   Dancer woke me up, actually, asking, "Meow?  You still sleeping, Mummy?  Meow?  What about my breakfast?  Meow?"  As if there wasn't a big bowl of dry food sitting out for him should he be hungry!  Of course, he spent the rest of the morning and afternoon sleeping, after having had his brunch!  Spoilt cat!

I had my coffee and then, replied to my blog comments and commented on a few other blogs I read on a regular basis.  I don't have a blog list posted on a side bar on my blog; I've seen other people do that, but I haven't quite figured out how to do that, yet.  It might be something I'll do one of these days, assuming it is OK with all of you for me to do so.

My daughter texted me a little after noon to say she's at the DMV to get a replacement driver's license.  She had renewed her driver's license, online, earlier, and it was supposed to have been mailed to my home, since she trusts it being delivered here more than to her apartment, because she is constantly having other people's mail delivered in her box and she's afraid her mail might get delivered to someone else who might not turn it into the management office!  We were expecting it to be delivered around the beginning of July, but it never arrived.  When I went to see my financial planner and mentioned it to her in passing, she cautioned me to have daughter put a credit freeze in case her license was stolen and someone tried to steal her identity and open credit in her name!  That frightened me, and it frightened my daughter, too.  She went to the DMV a week or so ago, but was told that they had given out all the numbers for people to be helped that day, and the next available appointment at that particular office was in 3 month's time!  The long lines and delays at our DMV offices in our state have been in the news, lately; people are waiting for 5-6 hours, even with appointments, and there was a call for an audit, which was voted down by the state legislature!  Daughter was rather put out by that, as she had been told by a co-worker that the DMV will help anyone who was in line before 4:00 p.m. - maybe they did that, earlier, before it got so back logged.  But, anyway, daughter managed to get an appointment for today at a different DMV location.

So, when she texted to say she was at the DMV, I turned on the altar lights and said a prayer for her to be able to get her license renewal done without any problems or difficulties.  Then, I texted daughter to let her know what I did.  She always laughs at me for doing this, but I consider it as insurance!  Anyway, she called me back, within the hour, with good news all around!  Apparently, the new license had been mailed to my address, but, since I wasn't home to receive it (I guess you have to sign for it?) they had returned it to the post office.  The mail carrier is supposed to leave a note saying there is a piece of mail waiting at the post office, but, if one was left, I never received that, either!  So, of course, I didn't know to go to the post office to collect the mailed license!  And, since no one came to pick it up, they destroyed it!  That was the first bit of good news - it was destroyed!  What a blessing that it wasn't mis-delivered or stolen and there is no one out there trying to steal her identity and ruin her credit!

There were more blessings: they are going to reissue a new driver's license and they didn't charge her for it, again; it should arrive in 10-15 days she was told and this time, I'll be home to receive the mail - I'll keep an eye out for the mail carrier, from next week!  In the meantime, they gave daughter a temporary license, so she can drive me to the colonoscopy, next week, if needed!  Plus, she was in and out within the hour!  Yay!  She said she was so relieved that everything went so well and I reminded her that I had turned on the altar lights.  I said it might be coincidence, as she always says, but it might have helped, too.  You just don't know, do you?  I said a heartfelt thank you as I turned off the altar lights and I told daughter to say a thank you, as well, at the altar I had set up at her apartment.  As far as I am concerned, it was an answered prayer that she will get her replacement license without any problems or difficulties.

In the meantime, I cleaned the ceiling fan and light fixture in my bedroom.  As I said, it had been cleaned a few months ago (can't remember when, exactly, but probably when the smoke alarm battery was replaced?), so it wasn't very dusty:

Before Cleaning

But I wiped the fan blades and the bulbs and lamp shades with disinfectant wipes.  I decided that the shades didn't need to be taken down and washed, this time around; might do that, the next time I clean the fan.

After Cleaning

Then, I stripped the bed and washed everything, including the mattress cover.  I sprayed the mattress with flea spray, just in case.  I considered turning it around, but decided not to.   Later, once the mattress cover and sheets were dry, I remade the bed; I put back the same sheets as they have a white background (with small lilac dots), which makes it easier to see any unwelcomed specks!  The other set of sheets is darker with a larger pattern; not as easy to see any specks.

I had thought of going shopping in the afternoon or early evening, today, but I didn't feel quite up to it.  So, I decided to rest and postponed the shopping until tomorrow afternoon.  Instead, I wrote most of this blog post and watched some news on TV.

Later, I watered the front garden - today, I didn't get anything on my white skirt, even after walking up to the front door and back!  I was so happy!  However, I did put the skirt and blouse and the socks I was wearing to wash, along with the dust covers on the family room sofas.  Then, I lint rollered the sofa cushions and covered them with another set of dust sheets. 

My daughter flew out to Seattle, this evening (she just texted to say her plan just landed).  Her flight was supposed to leave at 7:30 p.m., but it was delayed till 9:00 p.m.  She will be met at the Seattle airport by two of her friends who are flying out from down here, and another friend who lives in Tacoma will pick them up and take them to her apartment.  Two of these girls are daughter's friends since middle school and one is a friend since high school.  She is looking forward to her "girls' weekend"; she will return to Berkeley on Sunday, go to work on Monday, and fly down here on Monday night to be with me while I have my endoscopy/colonoscopy. 

Friend R called in the evening and we chatted a bit.  I asked her if she'd like to attend the meditation session tomorrow, and she said it depends on when she gets off work; she'll call me when she gets home.

Today, I am grateful for:
- Daughter's visit to the DMV went off well
- Her new license was destroyed and not stolen!
- Daughter had a safe flight to Seattle
- I didn't get anything on my skirt when I watered the front garden
- Keeping up with the laundry and the cleaning

Thursday's To Do List:
- Change and launder sofa dust covers - DONE
- Change and launder bed sheets - DONE
- Shopping - flea spray, baking soda, vacuum cleaner bags - FRIDAY
- Clean the ceiling fan and light fixture in the bedroom - DONE
- Vacuum? - FRIDAY
- Water the front garden - DONE

Friday's To Do List:
- Doctor's appointment at 11:00 a.m. (have to be there at 10:45 a.m., I was told; will need to leave here by 9:30 a.m)
- Shop for flea spray, vacuum cleaner bags, baking soda
- Put away laundry
- Have M spray the garden, again
- Attend Friday evening meditation session
- Vacuum

How was your day?  What have you planned for Friday? 


  1. Oh, the DMV, whatever state you live in, is never fun, but 5 or 6 hours is definitely too long. It sounds like your daughter has figured out the best location or time to go. Maybe you should light a candle at the alter for a safe delivery of her card. :)

    1. My daughter was saying that, when she went in, the wait time (posted on a screen for all to see) was under 5 minutes. By the time she signed in, etc., it had increased to 15-20 minutes, and by the time she left, it was 2 hours! Some of the DMV offices have extended their hours and some are open on Saturdays, as well, and they are saying they are adding more staff - I guess everyone is trying to get the federally required "RealI.D."s as soon as possible, thus the long lines.

      That's a good idea to light a candle for the safe delivery of her card! No harm in trying everything!

  2. Lots of news today. Thank goodness the problem of your daughter's missing license worked out so well. It is such a worry when documents go "missing". It is great that they will be able to reissue the license at no further cost.

    You were able to accomplish so much today, including the task of continuing to deep clean your bedroom into a peaceful refuge. I hope your "baby steps" towards this goal is not wearing you down and you can celebrate the end result. Good also is seeing an end to the flea problem outside your house. Though you may have to remain diligent, it looks as though you have brought this to a conclusion. What a relief.

    It was just as well to postpone the shopping trip until today so you can combine the doctor's appointment with the errands. I know it irks me to have to make unscheduled trips away from home because I didn't plan well enough ahead. You will still have the outside flea spray in time to have your gardener friend use it.

    And finally, yay for girls' weekends. I hope your daughter is able to continue for a very long time.

    1. Thank you, Susan. I hope I wasn't being too long-winded! I smile to myself when I go into the bedroom, now! There is still a bit more than I like out on the dressing table and desk, but there isn't a layer of dust on them! I need to keep it maintained and that's going to be the next step - making myself a cleaning schedule!

      I'm keeping my fingers crossed on the fleas, but I bought more spray and Dancer will get his flea meds applied, tomorrow.

      I did some of the shopping, today. Couldn't shop for the vacuum cleaner bags, though.

      I was thinking of your annual girls' weekend with your friends, when my daughter said she and her friends have planned one. I'm looking forward to hearing all about it. :)

  3. I hope your daughter has a wonderful weekend! I'm sure you will be praying for her safe travels. Prayer always works! You are a good mom and your prayers watch over your daughter. Oh awful the motor vehicle waits are. They used to be slightly bad in Delaware, years ago, but then they build new motor vehicle stations and you walk in and out! Here in Pennsylvania, in a rural area, I've not experienced any lines or waits. So glad the license wasn't stolen or lost! Now there are no credit worries for your daughter!! Andrea

    1. Thank you, Andrea. The DMV waits here are notorious! I have seen and been in long lines that snake out the door! Yes, much relieved that she doesn't have to worry about her credit!

  4. Wow that sounds like quite a bit of bother your daughter had! My husband went to renew his and it took him 2 1/2 hours. Son decided to go early on his birthday and managed to get in and out (he was there before they opened) in about 30 minutes! I'm glad you were able to find out what happened to the original.

    I hope your sleeping situation gets better. I've been having some horrible nights with the warmer weather and the horrible bed. A new mattress is next on my list!

    1. We wondered when the license delayed to come and then, we worried when it was pointed out that it could mess up her credit, if it fell into the wrong hands! Very glad to have that sorted out.

      Sorry you are having trouble sleeping, Sharon. Hope the new mattress helps. And the cooler weather, when it comes. :)

  5. Heheee reading about Dancer made me laugh aloud. I think he must miss you (not his breakfast) when you sleep late. 😀

    1. Oh, I don't know, Nil. He's pretty good at ignoring me during the rest of the day! :D But you are not the only one who laughs about the conversations Dancer and I have. My daughter laughs at them, too - especially when she hears us! We have long conversations, where I talk to him and he meows back! :D

  6. I'm so glad that everything worked out fine with your daughter's license, and I love that you turned on your altar lights and said a prayer. Whatever our faith, there is a wonderful God who loves us and delights to help us when we ask. Sometimes it isn't always the answer we want, but often things go more smoothly with a prayer!

    1. Thank you, Bushlady. I like to think that prayers help. :)


Thank you for visiting my blog and commenting. Your comments are much appreciated. Please comment in English. Thank you.