Here we are, half way through the year! The first six months behind us, the next six months ahead of us. It is a good time to pause and do a bit of a review, don't you think? In addition to my usual monthly reviews, I want to take this opportunity to review my goals for a more balanced life, to see if I want to continue the way I've been doing things or do things need a bit of a mid-year adjustment?
For example, New Year's Resolutions - do you make any? If you do, do you review them from time to time to see if you are keeping them or if they need to be modified in anyway? I made five New Year's Resolutions at the beginning of this year. Very briefly, they were to pursue good health, better time management, being more organized, being more positive, and maintaining a balanced life. These resolutions are incorporated into my monthly goals for a balanced life; the monthly reviews enable me to see my progress on those resolutions.
Or, how about a Word of the Year? Did you have a Word of the Year? Or One Little Word as some call it? I know at least one blogger who selects a new word every quarter. I chose "Resilient" as my word of the year; I wanted to be more resilient in all areas of my life and considered it as part of my overall well being, but, going forward, I will include it as part of my "Spiritual" category, along with joyful, grateful, and positive, in my Balanced Life goals.
I visualize my life as a wheel, with 10 spokes, currently (I had more spokes, at one time, but, 10 are what I have now), each spoke representing a category or area in my life. Each month, I rate my satisfaction in each area on a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being most dissatisfied and 10 being most satisfied. Ideally, all the spokes have a rating of higher than 5 and are of equal length which enable the wheel to roll along smoothly. If some spokes are shorter in length than others, then, the resulting wheel is lop-sided and wobbly! I usually indicate my satisfaction ratings for each segment within parentheses, with the beginning of the month ratings in black and the end of the month ratings being shown in blue.
So, here is my mid-year review of my goals for a balanced life:
- Clean - Clean the house and garage as needed
- Organized - Continue to find a place for everything and keep everything in its place
- Well maintained - Keep "erasing the evidence"; implement daily and weekly cleaning schedules
- Decluttered - Continue with the decluttering process
- Start improving the parkway in the front
- In person get togethers as and when I feel comfortable about them
July Family and Friends goals will include:
- Celebrate a friend's birthday with a curb-side visit
- Observe my father's death anniversary
- Food exchanges with neighbors from time to time
- Participate in temple events when safe to do so
July Community goals will be the same as above.
- Continue to take my medications as prescribed
- Continue to take necessary precautions against viral infections
- Spend time purposefully, mindfully
- Engage in daily joyful activities
- Engage in leisure activities
- Do crafts and pursue hobbies