Sunday, August 2, 2020

On the First Day of August

Milk Rice and Mackerel Curry

On the first day of August, I made milk rice for brunch and a mackerel curry (using canned mackerel) to go with it.  I used regular dairy milk for the rice, but, used the remainder from a can of coconut milk (that I had kept in a jar in the fridge) for the curry.  In case anyone is wondering, the red bits in the curry are pieces of tomato and the green leaves are curry leaves.  I also had a banana while I was waiting for the milk rice and the curry to cook.

It was another warm day, with a high of 97F.  I did the dishes (the plates, etc., in the dishwasher; the pots and pans by hand), scrubbed the stove top and the counters, had a long conversation with cousin P and a shorter one with friend R, practiced the piano, swept my bathroom and cleaned the litter box, watched some of my favorite cooking shows on TV and watched the video of today's temple services, online. Later in the evening, I video chatted with my daughter.  

I received a reminder in the mail, today, from my gynecologist that I needed to make an appointment for an annual exam!  I am not sure if I am ready for all this, yet!

It was a fairly relaxed day, but, I am content with what I accomplished.  In between doing the few household tasks I did today, I sat on the sofa with my foot elevated, icing my toe, which is still a bit painful (it has been a week since I bruised it).  I am wondering if I might have a hairline fracture, after all.  

Dinner was a sandwich as I wasn't very hungry, followed by some yogurt.  Later, I had crackers with peanut butter for a snack.

Today, I am grateful for:
- The beginning of a new month
- Being able to watch the video of the temple services
- Working appliances (fridge/freezer, dishwasher, fans, TV, computers, etc.)
- Electricity to run the appliances
- Chatting with my daughter, cousin, and friend

Today's joyful activity was watching cooking shows on TV!

According to the weather forecast, tomorrow's high will be 100F.  I am planning to have another relaxed day, although I really need to start the car!

How was your Saturday?  Did you do anything special to mark it being the first of the month?  What are your plans for tomorrow?


  1. I always think of you now whenever I make mackerel curry :) It has become a firm favourite here.
    I hope your toe heals soon. I would suggest to perhaps get it checked out, but I don't think they would do anything other than to advise you to rest it. X

    1. I'm glad you enjoy the mackerel curry, Jules.

      I hate going anywhere, even to medical appointments at this time, Jules. Each time I leave the house, I am exposing myself to the virus because not everyone here is wearing a mask and even those who wear them, don't do it properly. I, too, think that all they will say is to rest the foot and keep my weight off it! However, I do have an appointment with the podiatrist at the end of the month and I can mention it then.

      By the way, there were two comments from you (both very similar) but, I deleted the earlier comment.

  2. I like the way you describe 97°F as "warm". That is definitely classed a "unbearably hot" in my book!!

    I'm sorry to hear that your bruised toe is still causing some pain. Is it still swollen? I hope it improves soon - maybe have a couple of healing days and avoid walking as much as is practical?

    1. Ha, ha, in my opinion, up to 100F is "warm"; when it goes up to 105F or so, it becomes "hot". "Unbearably hot" is reserved for those days when we go up to 110F and above. A few years ago, we had a couple of days when it went up to 119F, but, that doesn't happen all that often.

      The toe is still somewhat swollen. I think the swelling increases as the day passes - probably because I don't spend the entire day sitting with my foot elevated! But, it is getting better.

  3. I thought of you yesterday morning having your milk rice, since it was the first of the month.
    It was very hot here, too and in the afternoon DH and I walked down to the river where there were plenty of people with umbrellas and boats, but not a real crowd. We walked a long way along the shore into a shady area and back again and all up the road. It was a good workout, which is just as well as today it is raining and not good for a walk, but pleasant to hear the steady downpour. It is turning out to be a lazy day.

    1. Ha, ha, you know me well, Bushlady! Yes, it's usually milk rice for breakfast on the 1st! LOL.

      Sounds like you had a good workout, yesterday! Enjoy the rain and the more relaxed day, today. No rain, here, of course, and we have several fires burning (at least some of which are suspected to be due to arson).

  4. I ushered in August by working. We are only doing pickups at the library but there are a lot of calls with people trying to understand what services are available and lots of materials to get ready for pickup. These requests, combined with several people who have not returned to work, has us pretty busy.

    1. Sounds like you are very busy at work, Live and Learn. Our libraries, too, are doing only pick ups and only from select libraries, not all of them. The local branch in my neighborhood is still closed. I don't think I will be going to the library anytime, soon, myself. Fortunately, I've plenty to read on my shelves at home!

  5. Sounds like you had a nice, productive day.
    Did you make milk rice because it was the first day of the month? My mom used to do that when we were kids. :)

    I'm sorry your toe is still bothering you. Hope it heals soon.

    1. Yes, I made milk rice because it was the first of the month! :) I didn't do that when I had to go to work, unless the first happened to be on the weekend. But, now, I am doing it, every month. I need all the good luck I can get! :D

      Thank you; I think the toe will take a little longer to heal.


Thank you for visiting my blog and commenting. Your comments are much appreciated. Please comment in English. Thank you.