Monday, July 13, 2020

Piano on Monday

Today, in the morning, I called the oncologist's office and confirmed my appointment scheduled for Friday afternoon and verified that I needed a lab test done prior to it (I had been hoping I wouldn't have to do the lab test).

Then, I called the lab to schedule an appointment and couldn't get through (got only the recorded message).  I went online to schedule an appointment and saw that there were none available for this week.  They had an estimated 30 minute wait for walk-in appointments when I checked online, but, I wasn't ready to go as a walk-in, today.  They do urge anyone over the age of 60 and/or has on-going health conditions that put them in a higher risk category to come in during the first hour of their opening, which is at 8:00 a.m.  I checked to see if any of their available appointments for next week included one during this first hour after opening, but, they didn't.

I am wondering what might be the best thing to do - go in first thing tomorrow morning as a walk-in and try my luck (I can wait in the car, if needed), or, call the oncologist's office to see if I can reschedule my appointment for the end of next week and schedule an appointment for the lab tests.  I need to get a regularly scheduled injection at the oncologists, so I don't know if rescheduling the appointment will be a problem or not.  Also, our governor announced that there will be additional lockdown measures being taken due to the spike in virus case numbers, so, it might be best to get the medical check up done sooner rather than later.

In the afternoon, I had my piano lesson and that went quite well.  S was pleased with my playing (she could tell that I had practiced, she said!) and with the additional pieces I had learned on my own.  She has assigned me a couple of new pieces to learn: Bach's Minuet in G and Beethoven's Für Elise.  No doubt much simplified versions, but, that's all I can handle, right now!  I have always enjoyed listening to Für Elise when my daughter learned to play it, so I am looking forward to learning it, myself. 

Later in the afternoon, I made a birthday card; just one for now.  I need two more, but, I will make them, later.

It has been another rather warm day.  But, it cooled down a bit in the evening and I watered a few of the plants, dusted and tidied the living room and dining area, remade my bed with the sheets I had washed earlier in the morning and hung up to dry, put away the rest of the laundry, cleaned the litter box, took the trash cans to the curb for pick up in the morning, and called a family member to check on her.

Today, I am grateful for:
- My oncologist appointment was confirmed
- The lab is still accepting walk-ins
- My piano lesson went well and I have new pieces to learn
- A working washing machine
- Video chatting with my daughter

Today's joyful activity was playing the piano.

Monday's To Do List:
- Call the oncologist's office to confirm appointment and if blood tests are needed - DONE
- Call the lab to make an appointment for the blood tests - TRIED
- Change bed sheets - DONE
- Load of laundry (bed sheets/towels) - DONE
- Dust living room & dining area - DONE
- Clean the fridge - DONE
- Take trash cans to the curb for Tuesday trash pick up - DONE
- Piano lesson - DONE
- Make birthday cards - DID ONE
- Do some tidying - DONE

Tuesday's To Do List:
- Dust family room and my bedroom
- Go to the lab for the blood test
- Visit my friend
- Water the garden, front and back
- Water the house plants
- Practice the piano

How was your Monday?  What are your plans for Tuesday?


  1. You got your to-dos done and still had a very good piano lesson. I am jealous. I am still working at Mom's

    1. Thank you, but, I think you probably get more done at your Mom's than I do at home!

  2. Do you have any other options for locations for you lab work? I can go to a couple of different places. Good luck working your appointments out.

    1. There are a couple of other locations in my neighborhood, but, this is the one I have been going to and my lab orders get sent to, etc. Plus, I am a creature of habit! I feel most comfortable going to the places I know, where I know the technicians and they know me. I chose to go as a walk-in, today, and, although there were quite a few people waiting, it wasn't too bad. I was done in 30 minutes.

  3. That's a bit worrying that you have to attend a walk-in for your bloods but considering the situation where you live, it's probably better to get this round of medical appointments completed while you can.

    Did you get a virtual sticker for your piano lesson?

    1. Yes, I was a bit of a nervous wreck about it, but, it went well enough. There were several others already in the waiting room when I got there at 8:05 a.m. and I opted to stand out in the hallway (there was one other person who also stood in the hallway with me, but, we kept our distance); then, I went into the waiting room for about 10 minutes before they called me in. The blood tests didn't take too long and I was done by 8:35 a.m.

      Ha, ha, yes! I did receive a virtual sticker! And an A+!

  4. What a pity that it has become complicated to get the tests and oncologist visit done. You don't need this at this time! At least you were able to stand in the hallway. So unnerving.

    Well, they keep telling us not to leave out bird food in the summer. This morning I discovered that our two sunflower feeders were on the ground. They had been pulled down off their hooks. It wasn’t squirrels that did it, although they would certainly love to be able to. The plastic tube feeder is absolutely squirrel-proof being of high quality, but there are teeth marks on it and they have broken through in some places. It is still usable but both will be cleaned and put away until winter!

    1. It was a little unnerving, Bushlady. I really didn't know what to expect, so, tried to be as prepared as I could. It might have been a bit overkill, but, I felt better for doing so.

      Do you suppose the bird feeders were taken down by raccoons? I'm sure the squirrels will miss their treats!

    2. I suspect a bear that would stand up on its hind legs and grab at the feeders. I'm not sure even a large raccoon would have been able to do that unless it jumped and hung on! The plastic is really thick and would be hard to pierce. I've seen what a bear can do to a metal garbage can!

    3. Oh! I wondered if it might have been a bear, but, thought, no, it couldn't be! Yes, I think it is a good idea to store the feeders for the summer!

  5. Teachers can always tell when you've been practicing. That's great.

    1. Yes, they can, can't they? However, I still maintain that I make fewer mistakes when I am playing on my own! LOL.

  6. Hi Bless. I thought I had made a comment this morning, but reading through your entry again and the replies, I realized that no.... I had not commented. But I was thinking of you off and on all day. I think it was because I was worried for you. I was wondering how they would make it safe for walk-ins during this time. But I agree with you and some of the others that it is probably better to get it done now and not a month from now. So glad it is over.

    Having just read Bush Lady's comment, up here where I live now, it is also recommended that the bird feeders get put away until after the snow arrives. The reason given is that we do not want to attract BEARS. Well, I haven't seen one myself, although I know they come into town; but two mornings ago I did see a big raccoon crawl under my shed. Or should I say, I saw one waddle under my shed. If there aren't kittens now, there probably will be very soon.

    I'm glad the piano lesson went well. An A+ for your efforts...all that's missing are the home-baked cookies. Ha.

    1. Thank you for thinking of me, Susan. I was nervous about venturing out among others, but, it needed to be done and worked out well enough.

      Oh, yes, bears! I wondered if it was a bear, when I read Bushlady's post, but, then, thought it couldn't be. But, apparently, it was! Aw, baby raccoons! I hope they don't damage your vegetable garden! I used to have raccoons coming to eat the cat food, at night, but, I haven't seen any, lately.

      LOL, yes, all that's missing are the chocolates and cookies! I might have to bake myself some cookies for next week's lesson! :D


Thank you for visiting my blog and commenting. Your comments are much appreciated. Please comment in English. Thank you.