Thursday, October 24, 2019

A Working Garage Door on Thursday

I felt worn out by midnight, last night.  I was in bed by 12:30 a.m., although my sleep was rather disturbed.  I found myself waking up every hour, or so.  I think, knowing I have to be up by a certain time, was preventing me falling into a deep sleep.  In one of my dreams, I had to go to work that day, but I was telling my mother that I wanted to call in sick because I really wanted a day off and my mother was looking at me incredulously!  Then I woke up and realized I was retired and didn't have to go to work!  I was so happy!  LOL.

Handyman A had said he'll be here around 9:00 a.m.  I got up at 8:00 a.m., had my tea, fed the cats, and got dressed.  Then, I watered the back garden and picked some feijoa (pineapple guava).

A was here a little after 9:00 a.m. and he was able to fix the garage door.  The remote control is not working, still (I think I need to get a new remote and try to program it), but, the door can be operated from the wall switch, inside the garage.  Opening and closing the door without a working remote is still a bit of a song and dance routine - enter the garage from the side door, open the main door with the wall switch, pull the car out, unlock the side gate to go back inside the garage to get the door to close from the wall switch, then, lock the gate, and drive the car.  Then, when you get back home, you reverse your steps - open the gate, open the garage door from the switch inside, pull the car in, close the door and the gate.  It's not as convenient as pressing a button to open and close the door without getting out of the car, especially in rainy weather.  Still, it is better than not being able to open or close the door, at all!  A told me to call him if anything happens and the door stops working, that he'll come by and fix it.  He charged me $225 for parts and labor to fix the garage door, which I thought was very reasonable.  Several years ago, when I had to have a spring replaced, I bought the spring and paid $100 for the labor only to a different handyman recommended to me by one of my neighbors.

I also showed him the garage side door which is warped and has a hole in the bottom (a small hole which has been enlarged by the garden cats who like to go inside the garage to sleep!) and the door frame which is deteriorating.  He said he can replace the door and frame for $150, parts and labor; he is coming back on Saturday to work on that.  I don't want to overwhelm him with all the work I need done, but, I did have him take a look at my sliding glass door which doesn't slide that easily anymore.  He said it needs new wheels.

I am feeling optimistic that I might be able to get some long neglected repairs done!  It seems I have something in need of repairs in just about every room!  Maybe the garage door breaking was a blessing in disguise!

In the afternoon, after A had left, I went to the post office to mail an overseas letter.  I needed to have it weighed and buy the proper postage.

That done, I went to the Armenian grocery store for a few items.  I didn't take a picture, but, I bought:
Onions @ $.20/lb = $.90
4 cans of condensed milk @ $1.69 = $6.76
1 package pita bread = $.99
Red lentils @ $1.29/lb = $1.47
4 potatoes @ $.29/lb = $.60
Dried garbanzo beans @ $1.29/lb = $1.73
3 bananas @ $.49/lb = $.59
2 cans of chick peas (garbanzo beans) @ $.69 = $1.38
Total = $14.42


The lentils and dried garbanzo beans are to replenish my stock; the canned garbanzo beans are to have on hand in my earthquake supplies.

The 10 lb. bags of russet potatoes were $1.99 each, which would have been much cheaper, per pound, but I bought four loose potatoes because the 10 lb. bags are too much for me and the potatoes usually spoil before I can eat them all!

It was 98F when I came home from grocery shopping at 2:30 p.m.!

After I came home and put away the groceries, I warmed up some beef curry and ate with a pita bread for lunch.  Then, I ate some raspberries for dessert.  Breakfast had been a slice of toast with a little of my strawberry jam and some of the fresh feijoa (pineapple guava) that I had picked earlier in the morning, when watering the garden.

After lunch, I took a short nap.

Later in the evening, I watched some TV and knitted a bit.  I finished one sleeve of the sweater I am making.  Dinner was chicken fried rice with asparagus followed by the rest of the pineapple guava I had picked.

Today, I am grateful for:
- A working garage door
- Finding a good handyman
- The opportunity to get some repairs done
- Fresh fruits from my garden
- Afternoon naps

Today's joyful activities include knitting and napping!

Thursday's To Do List:
- Get the garage door fixed - DONE
- More paperwork
- Post office - DONE
- Water the  back garden - DONE

I didn't do the paperwork, but I went grocery shopping, instead.

Friday's To Do List:
- Paperwork
- Tend to the garden with M
- Buy new bulbs for the garage security light

How was your Thursday?  What have you planned for Friday?


  1. Good to hear that your garage door is working again ... now get that remote sorted!

    It may be worth asking your newly found handyman to quote for all you want done as sometimes that works out cheaper - reduced travel time and fuel for one thing, but also if any decorating is involved he can get on with another job in between coats of paint. That's what my handyman did and it really kept the overall cost down.

    1. I think I need to order a new remote; putting a new battery in the old remote didn't work.

      Yes, that's what the monks told me, too. Make a list of all the things I want done and ask him for a cost estimate. Yes, there will be some painting, too. The family room really needs a new coat of paint and probably the rest of the house, too! I did the rest of the house, myself, several years ago (I enjoy painting), but I was younger and healthier then.

  2. Glad you were able to get the garage door fixed, quickly & cost appropriate. It seems with houses, that once one thing needs attention there's several other areas wanting the same attention - it's like having little jealous children about (col).

    1. It's wonderful to have a working garage door, again! You are right - when you start with one thing, then, you realize that at least 10 other things need doing! Especially when you let things go undone due to one reason or another. But, maybe I'll be able to get a few of those things done, now!

  3. The dance you have to do to open and close your garage door is building exercise into your routine. At least, that's how I would have to think about it to not become annoyed every time I used it. :)

    1. LOL, Live and Learn; yes, exercises! I don't get annoyed because I know that it is due to my own fault - I am the one who has chosen to "make do" rather than get the whole system replaced. The automatic garage door opener system I have is over 20 years old; it probably needs to be replaced. I went so far as pricing a new garage door system and asking for an cost estimate to have the store install it, last year. But, they said that, if there is an old system in place, then, the homeowner had the responsibility of taking it down - well, at the time, I knew I couldn't take it down, myself, and I had no one to do it for me. I might still need to replace the whole system, but, for now, I am OK with doing a dance routine every time! :D

  4. nice to have a handyman that can fix various things!

    1. It is wonderful! I am hoping to get a lot done, over the next few months!

  5. I’m glad you got the garage door fixed.

    I just read about wildfires in LA. I hope it’s not close to where you live.

    This morning I made pol roti for breakfast, and bought some curry goat and a roti from a Jamaican restaurant for lunch. It’s the first time I had Jamaican food, and I was not really impressed. I decided to make my own curry goat soon. 😁

    1. Thank you, Nil; I'm happy to have a working garage door!

      The wildfires are further north of me and I am not affected by them. But, it is in the area where Stephenie (An Awakened Soul) lives and I emailed her to check on her, but, she hasn't responded to my email, yet. I hope she's OK and didn't have to evacuate.

      I wasn't very impressed with Jamaican food when I had some at a Jamaican restaurant, either. But, my cousin and her daughter love it (I went with them). I've been wanting to make some pol roti, myself. Maybe next week. :)

  6. I'm glad your door is fixed - and that's great that it appears you now have a new handyman.
    It can be so tricky sometimes to find someone to do household repairs.

    You started another sweater? I think I missed hearing about it??

    1. Thank you, Debra. Yes, I'm excited that I might have a handyman to work on some of the projects around the house! Little repairs that I have put off doing because I didn't know of anyone to do them for me.

      Yes, I pulled out a "work in progress" sweater that I had started some time ago and put aside. I had already knitted the front and back. I just had to do the sleeves and sew it up. :)

  7. You are so busy, Bless! Fantastic that you have found a reasonably priced handyman. "New" home coming up! I did not know that feijoas are pineapple guavas. They are my favourite fruit, and their season in Auckland, New Zealand, is quite long. Yum, yum

    1. Well, you know, the thing is, I don't feel like I am being that busy! In fact, sometimes, I think I should be busier! I guess because I was so busy when I was working. :)

      I am happy, too, that I seem to have found a handyman to help me with the projects I want done! I hope it will all work out well and I'll have a fully functioning home!

      This is the season for pineapple guavas, here. I have 3 pineapple guava trees, but, only one of them is doing well. The other two look like they are drying up, but, I am hopeful that they might pick up with some extra watering and care.

  8. How unfortunate to be wakeful when you got to bed at a decent time. It sometimes happens to me when I know I must be up early, that I have the most restless night. Well, you may sleep better tonight knowing that some jobs are getting sorted out.

    Regarding the potatoes, I usually pass up on a bargain 10 lb bag since with just two of us they are likely to sprout before used up, but recently I did buy one and remembered that I had read that you could put an apple in the bag to inhibit sprouting (at least I think that's what I read, could have been a cantaloupe for all I know 😄) Anyway I put an apple in the bag and so far all is well, but it's early days yet.

    1. I think it was the anxiety of knowing I had to be up by a certain time that made it harder to sleep! I did sleep a bit better, last night (although I stayed up till 2:30 a.m., before I went to bed!)

      I think you are right about the apple preventing the potatoes from sprouting. I believe the apple emits a certain chemical (ethylene gas) that prevents the sprouting. :) But, don't store your bananas with an apple because that same ethylene gas will cause the bananas to ripen sooner!

    2. Thanks for the tip to keep the apples away from bananas. We seem to find only green bananas in the store and then when they ripen they go fast, so I have to buy only 3 or 4 at a time and really I should stagger my purchases so I have a combination of green and ripening at the same time!

    3. You are welcome. On the other hand, if you want some to ripen quicker, well, you know now that an apple can help! :)


Thank you for visiting my blog and commenting. Your comments are much appreciated. Please comment in English. Thank you.