Monday, August 7, 2017

Sunday's Activities

I seem to have developed a stye in my left eye, on the lower lid!  I woke up with a swollen and somewhat painful eye, yesterday and this morning, I saw that there was a definite bump.  I hope it goes away on its own in another day or two.  It's always something, isn't it?

My neighbor called me in the morning and we had our usual Sunday morning chat.  Later, one of my cousins called to give me the news that a family friend/distant relative of my mother's had passed away.  Cousin said she'll inform me of the funeral arrangements once they have been finalized.

Later, in the afternoon, my aunt called to confirm that she and cousin will come late in the evening (after 9:00 p.m.) - she and cousin will be visiting Lourdes, France, later next week and I wanted to send a donation and a letter of thanksgiving through them.  I asked about dinner for them and aunt said not to prepare anything because they were coming for a quick, 15 minute visit, as it was a working day in the morning.  It's aunt's birthday, next week, so I quickly made her a card:

Birthday Card
Yes, those are real birthday candles, hot glued to the card.  :)

I gave aunt one of the tote bags I had made:

Apples Tote Bag

And cousin got another tote bag:

Kitty Cats Tote Bag

I spent most of the afternoon sewing.  I sewed one side of the central panel, but when I went to lay it out on the bed to pin the other side (I don't have a "design wall", the bed is my design wall), I found the bed being occupied:

"Silly, Mummy!  Beds are for sleeping, not for designing quilts"
After I finished sewing for the day, I tidied the house a bit, washed the dishes, and cleaned the kitchen.

Aunt and cousin came over around 9:30 p.m.  The visit lasted much longer than the 15 minutes aunt had intended!  Cousin played the piano, I sang, and I quickly made some fried rice for a snack dinner!  It was past 11:00 p.m. when they left!  But it was a lovely evening of celebrating the good news of my mammogram results and aunt's birthday to come.

After they left, I video chatted with daughter for a little bit.

Today, I am grateful for:

- Aunt and cousin's visit
- An evening of music and celebration
- Being able to put together a quick meal!
- Phone calls and emails from family and friends
- A lovely day

I hope each and every one of you have had a blessed day, too.  Are you ready for Monday?


  1. I love how your evening turned out. It sounds a lot of fun and a great way of celebrating your results and your Aunt's birthday.
    I hope your eye is better soon. X

    1. Thank you, Jules. It was a lovely evening. It was a "joyful noise" and the house and I really needed that!

  2. It woulds like a very lovely visit with your aunt and cousin. :) I love the card you made and the tote bags. I'm still so very happy for your mammogram results...what a blessing indeed!

    1. Thank you, Debbie. Yes, it was a lovely visit. The mammogram results are a real blessing; my daughter and I are both so happy and grateful. Each day is truly a gift from Above!

  3. What cute tote bags! I always envy people with sewing skills.

    1. Thank you, Anne. I enjoyed making them and they were well received.

  4. Is your eye better today? You should put a hot wet towel on it, it'll draw out the "poison" and allow it to "ripen" if I remember properly.

    My grandmother was fond of going to Lourdes. One summer she brought me with her. I found it quite bewildering. I was 14, I think when I went. I hope your family has a good trip.

    How is your brother-in-law doing?

    1. The eye is a little better, today, Nathalie, thank you. I, too, read to put a warm compress on it, but I haven't done so, yet.

      My brother is doing a little better, Nathalie. I just got off the phone with his wife. She said the ventilation tube is out but he's not quite able to talk, yet and might need speech therapy. She said he was expressing a lot of anger and frustration and the brunt of it was directed at her because she was the one who was there. Poor thing! She has been at the hospital each time I've spoken with her. I wish I was living closer to them so I could help out in some way.

  5. So very very pleased to hear your good news Bless
    You deserve it

    1. Thank you, Siobhan. I am very happy! Hope all is well with you and yours.

  6. Hope your eye will be better by the time you read this. I suddenly was reminded of styes in my childhood and my mother using "Golden Eye Ointment". I wonder if it is still on the market all these decades later!
    Sorry about the loss of your family friend.
    Good to know that your brother is progressing. I wonder if the anger and frustration, while normal under the circumstances, is also partly due to the stroke's effects on the control of the emotions.
    What fun to have an impromptu "party" with your aunt and cousin!

    1. Thank you, Bushlady, the eye feels a little bit better, today.

      That is a good point, about the stroke's effect on the control of the emotions! I must mention it to my sister-in-law and maybe she can discuss it with the doctors.

      Aunt called me today to say how much she enjoyed yesterday's dinner and evening. :)

  7. Sorry about the eye stye. Hope it clears up,quickly.

    What a delightful evening. You have some of the sweetest relatives. You painted such a lovely picture. Your ability to pull a quick meal together is to be admired.

    Take care.

    1. Thank you, Sandy; I, too, hope it'll clear up in another day or two.

      We did have a fun evening. My cousin is a good pianist and I like to sing! Aunt grabbed two spoons and "accompanied" us! :D

  8. Hope your eye gets better soon.. those styes really hurt.. My daughter use to have them all the time, one of our doctors told me, to put a hot/wet compress [wash cloth] on the eye and it would help to heal it quicker.. Works great , and speeds the healing time..
    How is your brother doing? praying for him.
    Dancer is so cute..

    1. Thanks, Judy; the eye is getting better. I will try the warm/wet compress. Brother is still in ICU, but they removed the ventilator and he's breathing on his own. His wife said he is very angry and frustrated, still unable to talk. It sounds like it will be a long, hard road for them.


Thank you for visiting my blog and commenting. Your comments are much appreciated. Please comment in English. Thank you.