Friday, December 9, 2016

Friday: Oncologist Appointment

Today, in the morning, I went for my appointment with the oncologist/nurse practitioner.  It was an already scheduled appointment, but she said she wished I had informed her of my fall, earlier, so she could have put in for authorization for a round of hydration at today's appointment.  As it was, she put in the request today and asked me to come in on Monday for the hydration.
I brought her up to date on all what has happened, the tests done so far, etc.  She thinks the poor reflexes might be a result of some degree of neuropathy due to the Taxol I was taking for chemo.  That is quite possible, as I did have tingling/numbness in my hands, etc., from that.  She recommended I took some magnesium supplements for the cramps.  She also put in a request for a copy of the MRI results, so maybe I might know the results sooner than Wednesday afternoon when I meet with the radiation oncologist. Oh, and she told me not to walk on my own until all this is sorted out.
It was very sweet how so many people in the clinic, from the receptionists to the nurse practitioner, asked about my daughter, how she was, when was she coming home for a visit, etc.! 

My cousin accompanied me to the appointment, today.  I drove us there and she drove us back.  On the way back, she helped me to put gas to the car, so now I have a full tank of gas to drive myself to the various medical appointments, next week (I've three scheduled, so far!)  My cousin brought me another container of soup and a 2017 calendar, so I can write down all my upcoming appointments for the new year:
New Calendar Front
Back of Calendar
I sent her home with a few curries I had in the fridge and freezer and a packet of crackers from the cupboard.

I spent the afternoon and early part of the evening doing office work.  I had taken sick time off to cover all my medical appointments, this week, because I knew I didn't want to push myself to make up the time.  But I still got most of my office work for the week done, a little after 6:30 p.m.   
When my gardener friend came in the afternoon, I took a little break from office work and got him to put the furniture back in place, put away the almsgiving dishes, water my indoor plant that is on top of the entertainment center, and change the clock battery.  He is tall enough to reach the plant and clock without standing on a step stool, not like shorty me!  I dropped and broke a glass when I was handing him the dishes, so he swept and vacuumed the family room for me, as well. And he also watered the front garden for me.
Later in the evening, I did a load of laundry, spoke on the phone with my sister, an aunt, a cousin, and a friend, exchanged emails with another friend,  and video chatted with my daughter. 

Friday's To Do List:
- Oncologist appointment - DONE
- Put gas to the car - DONE
- Office work - DONE
- Have gardener friend water the front garden for me and water the indoor plant that is on top of the bookcase (I don't want to climb the step stool to water it when I am alone in the house) - DONE
- Have him put the furniture and almsgiving dishes back in place - DONE
- Have him replace the battery on the wall clock (again, I don't want to climb the step stool to reach it) - DONE
- Do a load of laundry - DONE (hanging up to dry, overnight).

Saturday's To Do List:
- Attend my friend's memorial mass (a cousin will give me a ride there and back)
- Put away the laundry
- Do another load of laundry
- Some paperwork
- Clean the litter box

Today, I am grateful for:
- Cousin accompanying me to my appointment with the oncologist, bringing me soup and the gift of a calendar, paying for my parking yet again (she paid for yesterday's parking too), and helping me to put gas to the car
- Gardener friend helping me with putting furniture and dishes back, watering my houseplants, replacing the clock battery, vacuuming the family room, etc., in addition to watering the front garden
- Phone calls from family, emails from friends, and video chatting with daughter
- Being able to take sick time off to cover all my medical appointments, this week
- Safe drives to and from the clinic.

It has been one week, exactly, since last Friday night and my fall.  This whole week was shaped by what happened last Friday night.  I have had so much support from my family and friends, my supervisors at work, and the medical staff at the clinics that I feel very blessed.  

How was your Friday?   What have you planned for the weekend?  Are you busy preparing for the holidays?


  1. Praying for you BLess.
    Proud the gardner was able to help you get the furniture and stuff back in order.
    Proud your cousin went with you to the doctor.. Having family and friends is so wonderful.
    Take it easy, rest when you need too.
    Praying for good test results..

    1. Thank you, Judy. Your prayers are much appreciated. Yes, definitely taking it easy. Hope you have a lovely weekend. Take care.

  2. It's great that you have such wonderful support! It's amazing how everyone can come together and help you out. When my Mum was diagnosed with cancer she was amazed that so many people called her, sent her cards and offered her help. She had a scan last week and an appointment on Monday to find out results. She's been feeling good so we are hopefully but always a little nervous at these times.

    I hope you get results sooner rather than later. I think the waiting is harder than anything. Glad you can video chat with daughter. It's got to be difficult for her being away from you - believe me I know! I hope you have a lovely weekend and make sure to get some rest!

    Take Care

    1. Thank you, Sharon. I feel very blessed with all the support I've received. I hope your Mum's scan results were all good and everything is well with her.

  3. Sending hugs and prayers.

    Dancer won't thank you for getting him to the vet, you know. I'm sure he'll miss it willingly lol!

    A superstition here says that when you have a bad fall then your soul is shaken loose and it takes time to settle back in. I don't believe it, but it's a good description. Please take care. x

    1. Oh, you are right - he hates going to the vet's! He protests, very loudly, all the way there and back!

      Thank you for the reminder that it takes time to settle back after a shake up like a fall. It gave me a scare and I have been feeling a little vulnerable, not as self confident. But I am continuing to be careful and take it easy.

      Hope you are having a good weekend.

  4. Glad to read the MRI scan went well and that the results might be with you sooner than expected. Also that you are booked in for a hydration session and that the reflexes might be a side effect of a drug. Hopefully, all these things are pointing in the direction of nothing being untoward.

    I'm sure you're confidence to go out on your own will return as time goes on. I know after my HA I was terrified of being left on my own, just in case anything happened. Now I can't wait to have the house to myself lol. Take care of yourself. xx

    1. Thank you, Suzanne. I apologize for the delayed publication of your comment. I have a couple of places where the comments go to and I forgot to check one of them!

  5. Hi Bless, I didn't see and email address in your profile.. So decided to contac you here..
    Just wanted to check in on you, and see how your feeling? Hope all is going well, and you are feeling much better. Prayers for you my friend.

    1. Hi Judy, thank you so much for checking on me. I am OK - tried to post last night, but didn't have an internet connection!

      My email is:

      It appears at the top of the blog, to the right. I have included it in my profile, as well, but I can't get it to show! Even though I tried to update it just now. I think one has to click on the "email" button, and that takes you to the link. I don't know for sure, though. When my daughter comes down for the holidays, I'll ask her to see what she can do.

  6. Hi Akka finally I was able to see your BLOG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you are toooooooooo sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so sorry i was not able to take you again as i felt under the weather !!!!!!!!!!! are you eating drinking etc??????????????? praying for you daily will touch base with you later today love your cuzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!! you know whoo and my sonna sends his bunches of meaows xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx take care and PLEASE REST REST REST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

    1. LOL, glad you were able to see my blog. Now I'll have to be really careful about what I say about you, huh? Thank you, again, for being there for me and for commenting. :)


Thank you for visiting my blog and commenting. Your comments are much appreciated. Please comment in English. Thank you.