Sunday, April 17, 2016

Sleep Deprived Saturday

Well, being unable to sleep on Friday night didn't spoil my Saturday too much.  Once I realized that I wasn't able to sleep, I sort of took things in stride.  I enjoyed a cup of tea around 7:00 a.m. and then, made pancakes for breakfast.  I wanted some strawberries to serve with them, but since I've been told not to eat fresh berries, I took some of the strawberries I had previously frozen and cooked them with a bit of sugar to pour over the pancakes.

Pancakes with Strawberry Syrup

After breakfast, I stripped my bed, remade it with fresh sheets, and put my Texas Star quilt on the bed:

Texas Star Quilt
I then did a load of laundry and hung it up to dry.

Lunch was a salad, with the last of the lettuce, grated carrot, chopped Bosc pear, and cashews:

Salad for Lunch

Later in the afternoon, around 3:15 p.m., I finally lay down on the sofa, cuddled Dancer the cat who came to keep me company, and took a nap!  From about 3:30 p.m. till 5:00 p.m.  Just as I was waking up, my daughter called to say she had returned from doing her grocery shopping.  She was telling me what she bought and how much she paid, etc.  She shops the way I do - buying mostly what's on sale.  She has given herself a monthly budget of $100 for groceries for herself.  She got some good deals, so I told her to send me a list of what she bought and the prices she paid.    She sent me this:

0.93 lb
Sesame Oil
1 bottle (5.5 fl oz)
Shirataki Noodle
1 packet (4 servings)
2% Milk
½ gallon
2.15 lb (6 bananas)
Roasted Garlic Hummus
1 container (10 oz)
1.40 lb (2 stalks)
Salmon Furikake
1 container (50 g)
Bunched Radishes
1 bunch (8 radishes)
Iceberg Lettuce
1 head
Baby Carrots
1 bag (1 lb)
Gold Sweet Potato
1.41 lb (2 potatoes)
Red Bell Pepper
1.36 lb (7 peppers)
1.56 lb (1/2 watermelon)
1.28 lb (1/2 cantaloupe)
Orange Mango Juice
1 carton (64 fl oz)


She didn't need to buy any meat because I had sent her off with salmon, chicken curry, and ground beef, plus she has more uncooked salmon and two whole chickens in her freezer.  

I had another cup of tea after my nap.  Afterwards, I hand watered the back garden, as it wasn't my scheduled day to use the sprinklers (due to the continuing drought, we are assigned days of the week based on our house numbers on which to use the sprinklers; houses with odd numbers may use the sprinklers on Mon, Wed, and Sat; houses with even numbers on Tues, Thurs, and Sun; but we may hand water any day).  I also hand washed all the dishes that had piled up in the sink.

My dinner was leftover fried rice:

Fried Rice for Dinner

I also had part of a nutritional drink for "dessert".

A cousin and an aunt called me today, as well as one of my friends.    I also called another friend who had been in an accident earlier this week, to check on her. 

All in all, it has been a pleasant day, even if a bit sleep deprived.

Today, I am grateful for:

- A working washing machine (on it's 24th year!)
- Being able to air dry the laundry (since the 24 year old dryer isn't drying!)
- An afternoon nap!
- Phone conversations with friends and family
- Being able to hand water the garden even when I can't use the sprinklers

Well, it's just past midnight, so I am off to see if I can fall asleep!

Hope you've all had a lovely day, today.



  1. Your food pictures look delectable! I'm thinking I might need to get up from my very comfy chair on my back patio and go make some pancakes with strawberry syrup, ha ha ha!

    Your daughter has a good head on her shoulders, like her mom, and seems to be a frugal shopper as well! I like her spreadsheet chart! The information is presented to clearly :)

    Glad you got some sleep, finally, even if it was just 90 minutes.

    As for the dryer, have you checked the vent? A lot of times people don't think to get the vent (that goes to the outside) and it gets filled with dryer lint and stuff, which would interfere with the dryer being able to dry AND is also a big fire hazard (if you keep on running the dryer, though, which you apparently are not). You might want to ask a friend to check it for you. Mine has a little vent on my outside wall and I stick my fingers in there once a year or so and remove all the stuff that's in there. It's amazing how much stuff accumulates. I also clean the dryer lint trap every time I use it. Of course, 24 years... it could also just be at the end of its rope. Here is a YouTube video that might help

    Have a great Sunday, Bless!

    1. Thank you, Nathalie.

      My neighbor promised to take a look at the dryer, but he's not had time. It's a gas dryer, so I don't like to poke around too much, in case I cause a gas leak. But I do clean the lint trap and I have looked at the vent. After I finish my treatments, I might have Sears come out and take a look (it's their brand). Otherwise, it just might be time to buy new appliances!

      Hope you are having a lovely day.

  2. I already typed a comment but think I deleted it by mistake. I'm always grateful for being able to get the laundry outside to dry, it makes the job much easier. If you don't mind me asking, why are you not allowed to eat fresh berries? Also, the quilt is lovely, did you make it yourself? We only need a couple of weeks without rain in the UK and we seem to be drought alert. A couple of weeks with rain and we're flooded. We need a more happy medium haha. xx

    1. I have been told to avoid raw food, especially fruits and vegetables that can't be peeled, to minimize risk of infections from any bacteria, etc. on them, during the chemo treatments. In fact, I am not supposed to eat salad, either, which I didn't think would be a problem since I am not much of a salad person, but I began to crave salad after awhile! I wash all the salad ingredients in vinegar to reduce the risks.

      Yes, the quilt it one that I made. English paper pieced and tied, rather than quilted.

    2. I don't know if freezing kills the bad bugs or not. Making strawberry syrup or sauce would be better as long as you boil it.

    3. Yes, I cooked the frozen strawberries with some sugar and brought it to a boil before I put it on the pancakes. :) These are the strawberries I had bought last year, intending to make jam for Christmas gifts! Never got around to making jam!

    4. Goodness, I would never have thought about such things. But I'm glad to hear you can have them in some form or other. Nothing worse than craving a food and not being able to eat it. xx

  3. I wish I could keep a washer for 24 years! I suspect that the European models aren't so sturdy. You are eating well, and I admire your daughter's thrift. She is also eating well.

    The drought sounds awful. I wish I could send you some of our cold wet weather. You must have to be so careful. Take care of yourself, I hope you get a good night's sleep. x

    1. I'm pleasantly surprised I've been able to keep the washer going for so long. The knob for the wash cycle setting broke off some time ago, but I am able to push the dial with my finger and get it to work. Occasionally, the spin cycle stops working and it won't drain, but I've learned to poke a chopstick until it triggers the mechanism to work again. :D

      We are on water restrictions due to the drought. Each household is allocated a certain amount of water per billing period, at lower, Tier 1 rates. If you go over that amount, the overage is billed at higher, Tier 2 rates. If you exceed the Tier 2 amounts, then, there is a Tier 3 rate, as well. Since landscaping accounts for most of the water use, lots of people are turning to drought-tolerant plants, xeriscaping, etc. etc.

  4. The quilt is beautiful.
    SO sorry for the "steroids causing you to not be able to sleep". I so understand, I take massive doses of steroids when I have a bad asthma attack..They effect me the same way.. I stay awake 24/7.. And I cant be still, I have to get up and work.[ Have talked to other people, and it does not affect them the same way???].
    Hope you have a good day..

    1. Thank you, Judy. Glad you like the quilt.

      One of the nurses told me that some patients get so much energy from the steroids that they clean the house at 2:00 a.m.! Not me, though! I guess it affects different people in different ways.

      I took another nap today, so am catching up on the sleep. :)

      Hope all is going well with you.

  5. Not to be predictable, and I know it's featured before, but that photo really does show off the quilt!

    1. Thank you, Lady Ella. :) It is currently rolled up and sitting in the linen closet because I have a different quilt on my bed, right now. I like to switch the quilts every so often.

      I've a question about accessing your blog - when you went private, I received an invite, which I accepted and was able to comment on your Letter B photo challenge photos, but, I forgot to bookmark your blog and I don't think I saw a "notify me of future posts" box to click (or, if I did see it, I didn't click on it). I tried to revisit your blog the other day, but, the invite I received is no longer valid, apparently. Will I receive another invite when you do a new post? If not, how will I know if you've posted something new? Or, is there any other way I can access your blog? For example, if I want to return the compliment and read some of your old posts, how would I do that? Sorry - but, yours is the first private blog I've been invited to and I am not quite sure how it works!

  6. Oh :o(

    Thank you for telling me. I am also not very familiar with private blogs, but something has definitely gone wrong because once you have accepted the invitation, you should be able to come and go freely, as before. (The only difference may be that if you use a feed/reader, it might no longer update automatically when there is a new post.)

    You are showing as a registered reader, but I'll send you a new invitation and see if that works. Please let me know. I have only written one post since "B" ... I assume therefore that you didn't receive it through your e-mail subscription either? :o(

    Having a private blog is a real nuisance ... I am wondering if it is worth moving the whole blog over to a new address and leaving it open as before. But that feels like a hassle!

    1. Thank you! No, I didn't receive anything through my e-mail notification. I did receive your new invitation and accepted it. It did let me access your blog and I bookmarked it. I think, the first time I accepted the invitation, I clicked on "View Blog" instead of clicking the url. This time, I clicked the url - maybe that makes a difference? I left a short comment is almost 4:30 a.m. on Saturday morning, here, and I haven't gone to bed on Friday night, yet! :D

    2. I'm glad it worked! (Let's hope it still works in the morning!!) Interesting to know that the e-mail subscription no longer functions once the blog is private... I need to think what best to do about that but I have a feeling you might not be the only one to have had problems. SIGH!

      Sleep well! (And I thought I was a night owl!)

    3. It worked this morning! I remembered to click on the "Notify me" box when I commented, and I received an email notification when you replied.

      Sorry to hear that you are experiencing some difficulties with going private - it's a learning experience like everything else, I suppose. :)


Thank you for visiting my blog and commenting. Your comments are much appreciated. Please comment in English. Thank you.