Thursday, February 28, 2019

Errands on Wednesday

Wednesday morning was off to a slow start, since I slept in!  By the time I had my cup of tea, replied to blog comments, and put away the dishes I washed yesterday, the morning was gone and it was time for lunch!  I had a salad for lunch.  I didn't take a photo of it, though.

In the afternoon, I ran some errands.  The pharmacy had sent a text saying two of my prescriptions were ready so, I planned my errands around that.  I first went to the bank (in the same shopping mall as the pharmacy).  Then, I went to the pharmacy.  Only one of the prescriptions for the lowered dosages was ready; the other item that was ready were the lancets for the existing blood sugar monitor.  How that was approved by the insurance, but not the test strips, is a mystery to me!

I asked about the second lowered dosage medicine (the earlier text, I received on Monday evening, had stated it was on order), but I was told to stand in the other line to ask the other pharmacist at the "drop off" counter (I was at the "pick up" counter) about it.  So, I paid for the medications that were ready and stood in the other line.  That pharmacist was very nice and put through the second medication, right then and there.  I also asked about the new blood sugar monitor, as I had been told the insurance no longer covered supplies for my currant monitor, and she said she needed to put that request through, again.  Oh, well, I have enough test strips and lancets for March.  I waited at the pharmacy until the second reduced dosage medication was ready.  I paid almost $50 for my medications, the antihistamines the doctor had wanted me to take (over the counter, so not covered by insurance), and the lancets.

Then, I decided to go to the grocery store that was in the same shopping mall to buy the milk I needed (instead of waiting to buy it on Thursday).  While there, I also bought some (four) bananas (@ $.59/lb) and a bag (12 oz) of frozen corn ($1.00) for myself (dipping into the March grocery budget!) as well as 10 cans of cat food for Dancer (@$.60 per can, plus tax).  

By the time I came home, it was 5:30 p.m.  I had a cup of tea and ate a banana.  Then, watched news and did some knitting.  Cousin P called and we chatted a bit.  

Dinner was leftovers - red rice, green beans, and mackerel curry, with some  homemade tomato chutney.  Still later, I ate a slice of bread with a spicy onion sambol.  

It was an overcast day, today, and, later in the evening, it rained.  There is more rain in the forecast for tomorrow and the weekend!  

Today, I am grateful for:
- Helpful pharmacy staff
- The insurance covering the lancets!
- The rain holding off while I ran my errands!
- The rain watering my garden for me
- Phone calls and emails from family and friends

I didn't do the housework I had planned to do today, as I spent time running errands.  So, the to do list gets carried over to Thursday!

How was your Wednesday?  What are your plans for Thursday?


  1. I'm changing how my prescriptions are prepared. I've registered with a company which is approved by the doctor's surgery and all I have to do now is request repeat prescriptions online as and when I need them. This company will liaise with the doctor's surgery for the paperwork and will then send the medication to me by post. I don't have to pay for my prescriptions as I am over 60, so there's no financial aspect to deal with. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it works as it'll be so much easier.

    1. Eileen, I hope that works out well for you. It sounds very convenient. There are some medical providers here, such as Kaiser Permanente, that have their own pharmacy system, and I believe they mail out the prescriptions. My insurance is such that I register with a particular pharmacy and the doctor's office sends the prescriptions to that pharmacy, electronically. I used to prefer it when the doctor handed me a piece of paper with the prescription written on it, because then, I could physically take it over to the pharmacy and know for sure that I gave it to them! These days, the doctor's office will claim they sent the prescription in, the pharmacy will claim they never received it, and, too often, the patient is left wondering what happened! Lucky you, not having to pay for prescriptions because you are over 60! That doesn't happen here!

  2. I consider running errands a full day's work, especially when you have many places to go. I'm glad to get back home to rest and know I have accomplished a lot. As a matter of fact, yesterday I spent recuperating from running my errands the day before. *laugh*

    I would have been annoyed to be asked to wait in another line at the pharmacy, but it is a relief that the other staff member was helpful.

    1. Susan, sometimes, I marvel at how I used to be able to fit in errands during my lunch break or after work, without thinking twice about it! It wasn't that long ago, either!

      Yes, having to stand in another line is annoying, but, the line to pick up medications is always long and they are trying to speed up that line. The pharmacy worker was just following protocol. They are always so busy at that particular pharmacy!

  3. It feels good to get errands done all at once doesn't it? The sun was shining here yesterday so I ran all the errands I had been putting off because it has been raining like crazy here. Who wants to get drenched any more than they have to?
    Of course last night the thunderstorms returned so I am thrilled I spent yesterday like I did.

    1. Yes, it does! I try to group errands, but, sometimes, I get too tired to do them all in one go. Two or three errands and a couple of hours is good. After that, I'm ready to go home!

      Glad you got to get your errands done when it wasn't raining. It was supposed to rain here, today, but, so far, it hasn't!


Thank you for visiting my blog and commenting. Your comments are much appreciated. Please comment in English. Thank you.