Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Labor Day Monday

Today, I took it easy and relaxed for the most part.  I went to sleep late, as usual, but was able to sleep in, so managed to get almost 8 hours of sleep.  I spent the rest of the morning and part of the afternoon, responding to blog comments and reading other blogs.

I cooked one of the two cassava roots I had bought, earlier, for brunch.  The actual root is white, when the peeled, but we usually cook it with turmeric, so the cooked root appears yellow.  I ate it with katta sambol, which is a very spicy mixture of onions, a type of dried fish known as Maldive fish, dried chili, salt and lime juice:

Cassava and katta sambol 
In the meantime, my daughter has been cooking, too:

Daughter's Cooking

Top row:  Korean spicy tofu stew; green beans with butter, basil, and garlic; Pad Thai with shirataki noodles (which are made from a type of yam).  Bottom row: Nametake - Enoki mushrooms cooked in mirin and soy sauce; one pot spicy Thai noodles made with shirataki noodles; braised daikon.

Nanchatte bouillabaisse and tofu brownies with pecans and milk chocolate chips

She said the tofu brownies would be considered vegan, if she didn't add the milk chocolate chips.

Kamaboko and carrot puffs

Kamaboko is a type of fish cake.  She adapted recipes she found online, she said, and they are all recipes she's making for the first time, except for the green beans.  Well, at least I don't have to worry about her not eating!  LOL!

In the afternoon, I thought I would wash daughter's bed sheets, but when I went to take the sheets off her bed, this is what I found:

Dancer sleeping

I didn't have the heart to wake him up!  I know the saying is to let sleeping dogs lie, but I think it ought to apply to napping cats, too, don't you?

By this time, I had started to get a headache, so I took some Tylenol and took a nap.  The nap and Tylenol helped, because the headache went away, after that. 

In the evening, both cousin P and friend R called.  I chatted with them, had a cup of tea, did the dishes (some in the dishwasher, the rest by hand), cleaned out the fridge a bit, and took the trash cans to the curb.  

For dinner, I had another of the curry puffs.  The remaining two curry puffs have been frozen for another day.  I had some yogurt for dessert.

Daughter and I video chatted in the night for a bit.  Her sore throat is turning into a full blown cold.  I had her drink more coriander tea before we said goodnight.  

Today, I am grateful for:
- Being able to sleep in
- Afternoon naps (and Tylenol)
- Phone calls from family and friends
- Emails from another friend
- A restful, relaxed day

Tuesday's To Do List:
- Call for eye doctor's appointment
- Call for dental appointment
- Do the laundry
- Dust
- Vacuum
- Pay the natural gas bill
- Empty the dishwasher/put away dishes
- Do some filing
- Start on my closet
- Attend the knitting group

How was your Monday?  Did you celebrate Labor Day?  What are your plans for Tuesday?


  1. I always let sleeping cats lie, especially when they're on my lap. I use that as my excuse to not get up and get busy. But I think it's important to have a little quiet kitty time, too. don't you? :)

    1. Dancer is not a lap cat, as such; only with my daughter. But he'll curl up right next to me and purr. Her bed seems to be his favorite place to sleep, right now - I took another picture of him sleeping in it, last night, and shared it with my daughter. But, him napping is often an excuse not to vacuum, etc. (he's afraid of the vacuum cleaner and will hide under the bed when he hears me pulling it out!)

  2. An afternoon nap sounds like a great way to spend the end of a long weekend...and the unofficial end to summer. I might have been tempted to do the same but I had company over and then we were all invited to dinner afterwards. It turned out to be a lovely day and I had no trouble falling asleep last night. I was up by 6:30 this morning, so I had an early start. Can't wait to hear about my grand children's first days of school. They were very excited.

    1. Having company and going out to dinner sounds like a good alternative to an afternoon nap! I'm glad you had a lovely day. First day of school is always something to look forward to, isn't it? I hope they had a good day. :) Maybe you can get in that nap, today!

  3. Looking at the photographs of the food is making me feel very hungry, especially the brownies.
    Dancer looks very sweet. I don't know why, but Mog has all of a sudden started sleeping on the sofa. She used to disappear upstairs out of the way, but for some reason she has some started to hang out with us more often. X

    1. Those brownies do look good, don't they?

      Cats are funny, aren't they? There's no explaining why they do what they do! I guess Mog has discovered that being with her humans is not too bad, after all! :)

  4. Hi Bless, I'm having problems commenting on your blog. I've been trying to catch up today but the comment box keeps disappearing. I've had this problem before on other blogs and eventually it seemed to resolve itself.

    Congratulations on your achievements with your monthly goals. It's good to see that you feel you have made progress in the aspects of your life that you are focusing on.

    All the meals looks very mouth watering. Your daughter has cooked loads so does she cook once a week and keep it in the fridge for her meals during the week?

    1. Hi Eileen, I'm sorry you are having trouble commenting. Someone else had a similar situation, earlier, too, and I've experienced it on one or two blogs. But I am glad you kept trying and this comment got through. :)

      Thank you; I remember you mentioning you might try the monthly goals, sometime, but, I suppose, right now, your focus is on renovating your house! That is a big project and a big goal!

      Yes, she generally cooks once on the weekends and keeps it in the fridge for her meals during the week. She says she spends about 2 1/2 to 3 hrs. a week, cooking and she prefers that to having to cook every day. I used to do the same when she was living at home. :)

  5. Mmmmm cassava with katta sambol! Mouthwatering.
    Now I'm craving for katta sambol. :)

    1. I am able to buy bottles of katta sambol and seeni sambol from the Sri Lankan store; my daughter finds them at one of the Indian stores near her apartment (they have an aisle of Sri Lankan food). MD brand - they are very good. I keep a jar of each in the fridge - much easier than making them from scratch! But, I make my lunu miris from scratch - I keep a small mortar and pestle on the counter for that! My daughter will sit down with a bowl of lunu miris and eat it straight, like a snack!

  6. Oh my goodness that food looks delicious! I am salivating.

  7. That food just looks so delicious. I love spicy foods.

    Our family had to leave around 2 pm on Labour Day so after a little tidying I walked up the road to visit a friend. In the evening DH and I watched a docudrama about Julius Caesar, and this was the episode featuring the Ides of March assassination!

    Today I had laundry plans and was also going to another town in the afternoon for an appointment, but the power went off so I cancelled the appointment and found other useful things to do with the reduced power available with our generator. Power came back just after lunchtime and later we went out for a couple of errands. I'm always thankful that we have power and water most of the time and can still have enough with the generator when there is an outage.

    1. Thanks, Bushlady. I'll pass on your comment to my daughter. :)

      I hope your son and family had a safe journey back and granddaughter enjoyed her first day back at school. I'm glad you have the generator! We are so dependent on electricity, these days, aren't we?


Thank you for visiting my blog and commenting. Your comments are much appreciated. Please comment in English. Thank you.