Saturday, September 2, 2017

On the First Day of September

The first day of September marked two years since I did my biopsy which confirmed I had breast cancer.  A LOT of water has flown under the bridge since then!

Today, marks the beginning of the "brr" months as my cousin calls them (Septembrr, Octobrr, etc.),  although we are having a heatwave and it was 113F!  We did have a very slight sprinkling of rain in the late afternoon/early evening.  Just enough to get the dust on my car wet; they dried up and now I have dirty brown spots on my car! 

Daughter and I had a good day, today.  We slept in a bit and took it easy in the morning.  Then, we went out to lunch.  We went to the same place where I went with my sister and her family, as daughter hasn't been there.  We both had the mixed grill I had earlier (grilled chicken breast, babyback ribs, and coconut shrimp); it comes with French fries and that's what daughter had, but I asked for a salad instead.  Afterwards, we shared a dessert that was a salted caramel white chocolate chips and pretzel cookie with ice cream, served in a little skillet.  We both had leftovers which we brought home and had for dinner.

After lunch, we went shopping for clothes for daughter as she said she needed new fall clothes.  We went to a discount store named Fallas (also known as Fallas Paredes; it's the same store where daughter bought several other items of clothing, earlier this year).  Today, she bought a whole new wardrobe of 34 items for $237!  Skirts (all of them long), pants, a dress, and several tops, including sweaters, sweatshirts, and two jackets.  I think the most expensive items were a blouse and a pair of pants for $9.99 each.  The least expensive item was a long skirt on sale for $2.  I bought 2 blouses for myself for $5.99 and $4.00.  My bill came to $10.85 with tax.  We spent two hours shopping at this one store!  Daughter  tried on all her items when we came home; she will exchange two of them because one is a little too tight and the other is a little too big!  I didn't try mine on, yet.  Will do that tomorrow.
Later in the afternoon, my gardener friend cut down the fallen eucalyptus branches that I couldn't cut and gave me the name and phone number of the arborist he uses for his trees.  I will call him next week and have him come out and take a look at the tree and see what he has to say.
Today, there was a brush fire in the mountains that are visible from the back of my house:
Brush Fire in the Mountains

I first noticed the smoke when we left the restaurant after lunch.  I could smell the smoke when I got home and bits of ash fell in my backyard!

By night, it had grown and spread:

Brush Fire by Night

I saw the red glow when I went out to throw the trash, then daughter and I walked to the end of the block to take pictures:

Another Look at the Fire
Today, I did two loads of laundry (sofa dust covers and the bed sheets) and did some vacuuming (my bedroom, the hallway, and kitchen).  Daughter helped me to pull the bed and the dressing table out from the wall so I could vacuum under and behind them.
The lunch out was fun and the shopping was fun, too, but that, the vacuuming, and the heat, tired me out.  I was also feeling a bit stressed about the fleas.  I'm angry with myself for not giving Dancer the flea medication last month, when I should have.  Had I done that, I might have saved myself a lot of work.  Now I have to launder everything, spray things with flea spray, and vacuum some more.  Sigh.  At least, he's allowing me to comb him with the flea comb. 

Today, I am grateful for:
- I've survived for two years since my cancer confirmation biopsy.
- I am feeling better and able to do more, every day.
- Going out to lunch with daughter.
- Going shopping with daughter.
- Daughter being home to help me with some of the house cleaning.

Today, I decluttered a hat that I had been given during my cancer treatments (sorry, didn't take a picture).  My hair has grown back and I don't need this hat, anymore.

Tomorrow, we will go to one of my friend's house to lunch.  I will go to the store in the morning to buy a potted plant to take to her as a housewarming gift (since I didn't make anything) and some fruit for the dessert.
How was your first day of September?


  1. You had a busy day with your daughter and did well shopping. Those brush fires are always a worry.

    We are at our daughters taking care of the cat and dog while they are gone for the long weekend. We had a very nice meal out (it was our 54th wedding anniversary) lots of good memories from that day.

    Enjoy your lunch at your friends. Oh and a potted plant and fruit is a lovely gift.

    1. Sandy, Happy Anniversary to you and your husband! Wow! 54 years! May you both be blessed with many more years together.

      Thank you, I thought a plant would be welcome; plants are not really clutter, are they?

      Hope you have a lovely weekend.

  2. That fire seems close, is that the fire that forced evacuations in Burbank? I hope you're safe.

    I'm battling fleas too so I feel your frustration. I can't spray the flea spray in the house because it says to keep pets and humans away for 2-3 hours while it dries and then to ventilate. I don't have a way, really, to treat only part of the house since we have vew few doors in our house. And with the heat outside, we can't really ventilate all that well. How are you managing that? I've ordered an "all natural" flea spray that you can spray directly on the cats, I'm skeptical but 55% of Amazon reviewers swear that it works so we'll see. I won't get it until Tuesday or Wednesday, though. Meanwhile, I had 2 teeth pulled yesterday and I'm under orders not to do ANYTHING for 4 days. So... I guess the fleas will proliferate because Youngest Son has tons of work to do for school and I don't see Greg chasing all 6 cats and flea combing them. I'm going the laundry and might ask him to vacuum. It's just so hard to figure out where the fleas are coming from and our house is quite large too. Arrgh. Good luck to you too!

    Your daughter did a great job with her clothes shopping! I hope you have a great rest of your weekend together. Take care, Bless.

    1. Nathalie, oh, how brave of you to have not just one, but TWO extractions done! I hope you are getting lots of TLC from your family as you recover from that! You deserve a treat! I'd suggest a big bowl of ice cream, but I know you don't like ice cream. Maybe a box of those macarons, when you go to drop off your daughter! :)

      I shall ask daughter to look into that natural flea spray. So far, Dancer has been letting me flea comb him without too much of a fuss. This is the 2nd time he's got fleas and it was much worse last time, so I am feeling hopeful that we caught it at the early stages.

      Yes, it is the Burbank fire. It is still blazing, this morning.

  3. Congratulations Bless. Two years post diagnosis is an amazing achievement and wonderful that you get to share this with your daughter.
    My amazing Mum would have been 93 yesterday: she died of breast cancer in 1973 . She has been much in my thoughts. I have like you, been having a visit from my daughter-there has been shopping and cake eating and tonight a Chinese restaurant awaits
    Enjoy your visit and congratulations again

    1. Siobhan, thank you. (((HUGS))) on the anniversary of your mother's birthday. She was quite young when she died and you would be been very young, too.

      I'm glad your daughter is visiting this weekend and it sounds like you are both having a lovely visit. I like the sound of that cake eating! :)

  4. What a wonderful 2 yr anniversary.. So happy that you are cancer free, and have made it through all the hard times of the last 2 yrs..
    Proud you and daughter got to have a lovely day shopping and a good meal out.. How fun. Time with our children are so special.
    Have a great day.

    1. Thank you, Judy. It is a very special anniversary for me. :) It was a fun day, although it would have been better had it been a bit cooler.

  5. Now THAT is an anniversary that you will never forget. Do you remember the anniversary of the day you learned you were cancer free? That is certainly worth celebrating. It sounds like you had a wonderful shopping day with your daughter.

    The "brr" months. LOL. I really enjoyed that. Funny! I had never heard that before. I am going to use that expression from now on. It certainly has been brr here since the end of the week. I would certainly share some of my cooler temps with you if I could.

    1. That would be August 1, when the radiation oncologist relayed the mammogram results, verbally, to me. The written confirmation was received a few days after that. Although, my oncologist nurse maintained that I should consider myself cancer free from the date of the lumpectomyg (October 2, 2015), since the margins and the lymph nodes were clear. According to her, the rest of the treatments, the chemo and the radiation, were preventative. But the follow-up mammogram was the confirmation I was waiting for.

      Yes, the "brr" months. Probably more appropriate for you, up there, than for us, down here. Our coldest months tend to be January and February.

  6. Oh my gosh, Bless! I wouldn't be able to sleep with the fire that close. Stay safe!

    1. I'm OK, Carolyn, thank you. They are getting the fire under control and the mandatory evacuation orders have been lifted. Hope all is well with you - have the flood waters in your neighborhood receded?


Thank you for visiting my blog and commenting. Your comments are much appreciated. Please comment in English. Thank you.