Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Post-Op Follow Up Visit with Surgeon

Met with the surgeon, this afternoon, for a post-op follow-up to see how the incision is healing (still a bit of oozing from it) and to discuss the insertion of the port for the catheter (minor surgery under local anesthesia required).

The visit went well; he looked for sutures, but couldn't find any!? We concluded he might have put self-dissolving ones. I requested and received a dressing over the incision.  I am to keep it in place for a week, unless it becomes saturated.

I've been OK'd to raise my arm above my head, to drive, and can return to work on Thursday.  I asked for a doctor's note to that effect (OK to return to work) to take to the office.

We discussed the port for the catheter - he explained how it will be inserted and said the only risk is puncturing the lungs, but assured us that he hasn't done that in years!  LOL. 

So, the next step is waiting for paperwork authorizing the insertion of the port and the echo cardiogram. 

Daughter drove me to the appointment and back.  We stopped for subway sandwiches on the way back.  Came home and called my supervisor to let her know that I'll be back on Thursday (not tomorrow, as I had originally thought); she was fine with that.

Today, I am grateful for:

- The incision seems to be healing well
- Recovery is going well
- Daughter being able to drive me places
- Safe drives to the clinic and back
- Jello and ice cream for dessert 


  1. Wow, no one told me of the lung puncture risk when I went to have my port inserted. It is good to have yours inserted now. I tried to go without, as I had always been told I have "good veins". Well, on my first or second chemo infusion ( I can't remember anymore), some of the chemo leaked out at the site on my arm, and that whole experience was most unpleasant, to say the least.
    I have a special numbing cream I applied about an hour before chemo, to make the needle insertion more comfortable. I still have my port and have to go in and get it "flushed" (with saline solution) every 6 weeks. They want me to keep it in for 5 years. (Sigh) One down, 4 to go.
    So glad to hear your healing and recovery is going well. I will keep you in my prayers.

    P.S. As to your reply in my previous comment, yes, my recovery is going well, and so far all my checkups (every 3 months) have been good : )

    1. Jo, glad to hear that your recovery is going well. I hope it will continue to be that way.

      I was told that the port was to avoid chemo leakage, collapsed veins due to repeated puncturing, etc. They didn't tell me how long I'd have to have it in; I read at least 1 year, but will assume 5 years based on your experience.

      Thank you, again, for sharing your experience and prayers. You are in my thoughts and prayers, too.

  2. I'm glad the visit went well and that you are recovering well.

  3. Checking in to see how your return to work day went today. Was thinking of you!

    1. Thank you, Carolyn. It went well, but my supervisor sent me home at noon! She said I could work from home in the afternoon and tomorrow, as well! :)


Thank you for visiting my blog and commenting. Your comments are much appreciated. Please comment in English. Thank you.