A "master list" is a list of items one wants to get done during the course of the year. It's a way to accomplish those New Year's goals. One takes a few items from the master list and incorporates them into the monthly goals and works on them throughout the year, until they are done or, occasionally, changed, if necessary.
I am putting together a "master list" of tasks I wish to accomplish for the new year. I was able to get quite a bit checked off my master list in 2014, but others are going to be carried over to next year. The list is not complete, and I am sure to be adding and subtracting as I go, but here's the list as it stands now:
- Landscape the front garden, with drought tolerant & edible plants
- Trim the eucalyptus tree
- Plant a replacement peach tree
- Beautify back garden
- Landscape side yard
- Replace window screens, throughout
- New drapery rods and/or drapes (living room, dining area)
- Replace fire place screen
- Kitchen floor refinishing
- Fix water damaged wall and ceiling
- Paint hallway, kitchen, family room, bathrooms
- Get clothes dryer repaired/replaced
- Electrical repairs (door bell, front porch light, ceiling fans, closet light, bathroom space heater)
- Get closet and laundry room doors repaired or replaced
- Get sliding glass door repaired or replaced
- Get bathroom cabinet door hinge fixed
- Clean out garage
- Clean out shed
Will start chipping away at the list in the new year. Some of it is stuff I can do, myself. But a lot of it is stuff that I need to get others to do for me. Just the thought of finding people to do the work, getting estimates, etc., tends to be overwhelming. But if I take just one or two items each month and work on them, then, perhaps the list will get whittled down as the year progresses.
How about you? Do you have a master list? Will you be making a new one for the new year? Is it as long as mine?
Yes, I have a yearly master list also and I agree that finding workers to do those jobs that I can't do is sometimes overwhelming. However, just taking it 1 or 2 at a time helps. In 2014 I was finally able to get a replacement window put in my garage (a job that had been on the list for 4 years!) and a new fireplace screen installed (had been on the list for 2 years). Still need to get something done to the garage floor and a tile backsplash installed in the kitchen. Those items are being carried on over into 2015. It's never easy or cheap when we have to find people to do work for us!ReplyDelete
That's great that you were able to get two items crossed off your master list! You are right, it's never cheap when we have to hire out the work! Have to take the budget into account, as well as everything else. Thank you for your comments.Delete