Saturday, January 14, 2023

Friday the Thirteenth!

Dancer Says "Hello"

It's Friday the thirteenth and it has been a dry, but, mostly cloudy day.

I slept in this morning.  I had been up till 5:00 a.m. so when I got up at 9:00 a.m. to feed Dancer and Mama Cat, I went back to bed and slept till noon!  Even after I woke up for the second time, I stayed in bed for a bit because it was one of those days when my bones were aching (one of the side effects of one of my medications).    

In the afternoon, I finished deep cleaning the living room by going around the edges of the ceiling with a long handled duster to remove any cobwebs.  

Later, I did a little more tidying up in the family room.  I had ordered three bags of charcoal briquets to have on hand as an alternate fuel source for cooking in case of an emergency; if the power goes off or if there is no natural gas, then, I can try to use the briquets to light a fire in my grill outside to cook (assuming it is safe to do so).  I already have two bags of briquets stored in the garage, but, they are smaller bags and I wanted to have a few extra bags on hand.  But, they arrived during one of the rainy days and so, I had stacked them in the family room, temporarily, as I didn't want them getting wet when being carried to the garage and there they sat for a couple of weeks!  Today, I finally took two of the bags to the garage.  The third bag is ripped and I need help carrying it to the garage without spilling the contents.  So, that bag is still in the family room!  Maybe I'll empty the briquets into one of the empty litter buckets and take it to the garage, tomorrow.

I also started the car and let the engine run for a bit while I checked on the garden.  I had three potatoes left in the old bag of potatoes and they were starting to sprout, so I planted them in the garden to see if they will grow.  I also set up a low tech rain water collection system to see if I can collect some of the rain water, using empty cat litter containers.  Pre-Covid, I bought two refillable buckets of kitty litter from the pet supplies store and I would refill the buckets as needed.  But, when Covid struck, I started ordering the kitty litter online and they come in new buckets.  I've been saving those buckets and today, I set them out in a row to collect any rainwater that might drip down from the patio roof, when it rains this weekend.  I forgot to take a picture; maybe I'll take one, tomorrow.

M brought me a six pack of mixed lettuce seedlings and a mint plant as thank you gifts for mending a couple of his garments.  We planted the lettuce with the snow pea seedlings within the wire mesh enclosure to try and protect them from Chicken Little, who seems to be spending the major part of its day in my yard!  I don't know if it will eat the mint plant, too - if so, I'll have to figure out a mesh enclosure for it, too!  Fort Watermelon/Bunny Fort is being replaced by Fort Chicken Little!  

Later in the evening, I mended a tear in one of daughter's cardigans.  

Brunch had been leftover coconut roti (daughter) and a cheese sandwich (me).  Dinner was gyoza/pot stickers as an appetizer followed by pizza.  

Today, I am grateful for:

- Another day to dry out before the next band of rain arrives
- The car started without any problems
- New plants for the garden
- Chats with family and friends
- What I was able to accomplish

Today's joyful activity was gardening.

Plans for tomorrow include a little more tidying in the family room and mending the triangles quilt.

How was your Friday?  What are your plans for Saturday and the weekend?



  1. Hello Dancer!
    Friday the thirteenth was dry here but very windy, the heavy rain is expected today. It's a good idea to collect rainwater and your cat litter buckets sound ideal for the job. I hope your mint plant thrives there's nothing nicer than fresh mint on new potatoes. Fort Chicken Little made me smile he's a cheeky chicken for sure.

    1. I had considered getting a rain barrel, last year, and having it connected so that water from the gutter would collect, but, the ones I saw seemed rather expensive and I wasn't sure if it would be worth the expense. But, now, with all our recent rains, I'm thinking it might have been a good thing if I had gone ahead and bought one! Oh, well, hindsight is 20-20 they say!
      I'm glad you had a dry, if very windy, day before the heavy rains arrive today. It's been raining here, all morning. Not a very heavy rain, but, still, it's rain! :D
      That chicken is too cheeky for its own good; it would be nice if it would lay an egg or two to say thank you for the use of my yard!

  2. Those kitty litter buckets are really handy. We get our litter in bags now, but still have the buckets in use in various places. I especially liked them because the kind we had stacked well.

    1. These stack up well, too, June. I got some litter in bags at one time and emptied them out into the two refillable buckets I had, and I bought some in boxes, too, but, recently, I've been ordering them in the buckets. I've had M make holes in the bottom of a couple of them and used them as planters in the garden.

  3. What an intelligent thing to do with the kitty litter buckets. I spent the morning gardening, despite the heavy rain. I emptied and sieved the spent compost from my potato buckets and mixed it with homemade fresh compost from my bin. Then I tidied up the raised bed pulled out weeds. Doing all that revealed a few more veg (3 potatoes, 2 small carrots, 2 small leeks and a handful of spinach leaves) I topped up the raised bed with the compost, then covered it with cardboard. In the spring it will be ready for sowing. And the veg made us two bowls of soup which we enjoyed for lunch. After neglecting my plot for a few weeks over Christmas, I'm beginning to get back into the Gardening Groove.

    1. Thank you, Angela. I expected to find perhaps a couple of inches of water in each bucket, but, when I looked, this morning, they are already almost half full! The buckets come with lids, so, once the water is collected, I can cover them and keep the water for at least a couple of weeks, I think, until the garden needs watering again, once the rains stop.
      Sounds like you had a busy day in the garden, yesterday! How wonderful that you were able to pick enough vegetables to make a soup for lunch! How soon will you be able to plant your spring vegetables?

  4. Hello Dancer!

    It sounds like you are continuing to have productive days and are getting things done. Well done on stocking up with the charcoal briquets so you have an alternative source of fuel in the event of power cuts. That's something I haven't done yet and really should get on and do it.

    I was supposed to be shopping for clothes today but had to cancel because of a problem with my left eye. So I've been ordering online instead while I wait in A&E ... they've done all their checks and seem happy with things so am now waiting to be discharged. I'll just have a quiet rest of the day at home but may go shopping in town tomorrow to make up for missing the trip today. xx

    1. Thank you, Eileen. At first, I considered getting a propane camping stove, but, then, I was worried about storing propane in the garage or shed, especially in the summer when temperatures soar to 100F and above. Wasn't quite sure how safe that might be.

      Oh, I'm sorry to hear that you experienced a problem with your eye, especially after having it checked so recently. Hope the A&E checks also turned out well and you were able to go home to rest. Maybe take it easy for a couple of days?

  5. That is a lovely photo of Dancer! I'm not surprised you went back to bed after being up most of the night! We got up just before 10 am but since DDIL was working till 3 pm and the family wouldn't be arriving until at least 6 pm, there was no hurry. The dinner is in the oven now. DH got inspired and touched up some paintwork on the edging on the stairs! It has been clear and sunny all day.

    1. Thank you, Bushlady. :) I hope your son and family have a safe drive and you have a lovely visit. Have a wonderful weekend. :)
      It's raining, here, but, I'm not complaining!

  6. You are extending your bedtime aren't you? lol
    It's good you were able to go back to sleep.

    Having the charcoal on hand for alternative cooking is a good idea.
    Your working on your weight bearing exercises moving the charcoal around. :)
    We have charcoal on hand for our rarely used grill and I have a back up bag in case there should be an extended outage. My husband bought a metal chimney of sorts years ago that lights the charcoal easily with a little newspaper and no lighter fluid which is nice.
    So Chicken Little has moved in I guess. Is Mamma cat still relaxed around him, still ignoring him?
    I hope he gives you some eggs! Should you set up a little laying station?
    Hey, it might be worth it with the price of eggs.
    Don't tell me you haven't thought about it. ;)

    1. I'm afraid that one of these days I'll just stay up all night and all day! Maybe that's what I need to do to reset my internal clock!
      I thought that the charcoal would be safer to store (and knowing me, easier to use) than butane canisters, etc. I have seen that metal chimney thing on some outdoor cooking shows - I might look into getting one. I do have an old container of lighter fluid - I must check it again to see if there's anything left in it!
      Chicken Little is a regular part-time resident in the garden! Not only that, it pecks at the sliding glass door if there is no kibble out for it! Mama Cat is ignoring it completely! I'd love it if it would leave me an egg (I'm assuming it is a hen?), but, I don't know anything about making an egg laying station! Might be something to look into, with egg prices being what they are!


Thank you for visiting my blog and commenting. Your comments are much appreciated. Please comment in English. Thank you.