Friday, January 18, 2019

Sunny Friday

Today, we had bright sunshine, all day!  Not a single rain drop!  I think we all appreciated the opportunity to dry out, a little!

But, first - last night's dinner:

Thursday Dinner
I had half of one of the steaks I cooked and some carrots and green beans with it.  I boiled the vegetables, first, then, sauteed them in a little butter with dried basil. I had a banana for dessert, since I hadn't eaten the banana, earlier.  Still later, before I went to bed, I had a spoonful of peanut butter as I felt I needed something more.

I had started taking down the Christmas tree decorations, last night, and I finished taken them all down, early this afternoon.  As I mentioned to one of my friends, yesterday, I felt pensive as I took down the decorations and packed them up carefully in the labelled bins.  I wondered who will unpack them, next Christmas.  Will I still be alive and well enough to do so? 

Later in the afternoon, I went to collect the mail and, since it was such a nice afternoon, took a little walk.  I didn't want to venture too far, today, so I just walked up and down my block, a few times.  Maybe I should say I strolled, rather than walked!  But, still, I was outside, in the sunshine and fresh air, moving around, and that was good enough for me.  A flock of ducks flew overhead while I was outside; their quacking alerted me to the fact that they were flying overhead, and I watched them as they flew.  I couldn't take a photo of them, though.

Friend M came by while I was still outside.  I asked him to change the battery on one of my smoke detector alarms as it was beeping.  After that, he took the bins of Christmas decorations to the garage, took down the tree, and boxed it up, again.  That, too, was stored in the garage.  Finally, he weeded the area around the newly planted peach tree.  I asked him to buy me another bag of soil amendment to put around the tree.

After he left, it was time to get Dancer to his vet's appointment.  He did not want to go in his carrier!  He managed to push the carrier door open (I guess it hadn't closed properly) and hid under the sofa!  When I pushed the sofa, he ran and hid under my bed!  When I pushed the bed, he ran into the bathroom!  My bathroom has two doors, one leading from my bedroom and the other leading from the family room, but, I was able to close both doors before he could escape and trap him in the bathroom.  He still put up quite a fight, refusing to go into the carrier, but I managed to wrestle him in there!  Then, he meowed loudly and protested all the way during the drive to the vet's office, and meowed in the waiting room, and meowed all the way back home!  Poor kitty does not like being in his carrier or car rides! 

Sign in the Examination Cubicle

The vet examined him and said the infection has cleared, the gums are healing, and although there is still one stitch left, it should dissolve shortly.  She didn't want to take it out.  She said the antibiotic he was given will be effective for another week.  She said she didn't need to see him again, anytime soon, but, if I was concerned about him, to go ahead and make an appointment to bring him in.  He can go back to his regular diet of kibbles and the tuna treats.  I had promised him tuna when we got back home and he meowed for and received two servings!  LOL.  He is getting to be a spoiled cat! 

I returned some phone calls when I came home and chatted with a couple of my cousins, one of whom is having a really bad cold/cough/fever.  She said she went to the doctor's, and she was told it would take a couple of weeks to clear.

Lunch, today, had been a bowl of my chicken and vegetables soup, followed by a banana.  I didn't have any tea in the evening.  Dinner was a salad with slices of steak:

Friday Dinner
I have finished the lettuce in the salad kit I bought the other day.  I will probably go to the grocery store, again, this weekend, to buy more salad and a few other items.

Today, I am grateful for:
- All the recent rain
- A sunny day
- Dancer is healing well
- M helping me with taking down the Christmas tree and weeding around the peach tree
- Chatting with family and friends

Friday's accomplishments:
- Took down and put away the Christmas tree and decorations
- Took Dancer for his check up
- Got the smoke detector battery changed
- Spoke with cousins and friends
- Took a little stroll, outside

Saturday's To Do List:
- Dust and vacuum the family room
- Put the furniture back the way they were
- Tidy the living room
- Grocery shop

How was your Friday?  What are your plans for the weekend?


  1. How nice that you were able to take advantage of the drier weather and go for a stroll. I strolled from the van to the grocery store in minus 4 degrees F this morning as we are under a snow advisory for the rest of today. It had to be done. I was running out of everything it seemed. I have spent my entire budget already, and then some. I had to use up $55 in gift cards as well. This may require increasing my household budget for next month. Almost all the budget went towards groceries.

    My weekend plans remain about the same....laundry and kitchen prep. Sounds exciting, I know.

    1. Oh, Susan, that is so cold! Brr! I'm glad you were able to get your grocery shopping done before the heavy snow, though. Now you are nicely stocked up for the next few days, at least. I'm sorry you had to go over budget, but, sometimes, that is necessary. I'm glad you had the gift cards to help with some of it, and I hope you are able to increase the household budget without too much hardship.

      I, too, went grocery shopping, this afternoon. I need to add up my totals, but I believe I am still within budget.

  2. Woo hoo! Christmas is down and packed away for another year!
    Glad Dancer is healing. MY theory is if they feel well enough to complain, they are on the mend!

    1. Yes, Christmas is down and packed away, finally! Especially, the tree! I was afraid I might have to rustle up some heart shaped ornaments and turn it into a St. Valentine's Day tree, if it stayed up, any longer! LOL!

  3. Your meals look delicious.
    It's good to hear that Dancer is healing well.
    Did he like the welcome sign at the doctor's office? :)

    1. Thank you, Nil. I think Dancer was too stressed out about being there to appreciate the welcome sign! Even the "feline calming pheromone" diffuser plugged into the wall didn't seem to have any calming effects on him! But, I thought the sign was cute! I guess it is their way of making sure that the right pet is in the right cubicle, or something.

  4. How kind of your friend to move the boxes of Christmas decorations, take down the tree and even deal with the beeping smoke detector.
    I can imagine Dancer's antics as he tried to avoid the dreaded vet visit, we've all been there with our cats. At least he meowed energetically, so no problem there anymore!
    I hope your cousin soon recovers from her cold. The nasty colds around this winter are no fun.
    We bundled up this afternoon in -4°F weather and drove down to town for a lovely concert. It was a day for warm underwear under thin pant legs!

    1. Yes, he is most helpful, that way, doing things around the house for me, as well as the garden. :)

      Yes, Dancer is very much back to his normal self now, I think.

      I hope you are fully recovered from your own cold, Bushlady.

      Brr! I'm glad you bundled up to go to the concert! Definitely, layer up and wrap up warmly!


Thank you for visiting my blog and commenting. Your comments are much appreciated. Please comment in English. Thank you.