Monday, January 7, 2019

Ending the Holidays

Sunday morning was sunny and bright, after Saturday night's rain.  But, I woke up feeling rather tired.  I've been going to bed earlier, but I keep waking up every hour, or so; as a result, it is not a very restful sleep.

It was my daughter's last full day at home and I asked her if she wanted to do anything, go out to lunch, etc., but she didn't.  So, we just had a relaxed day at home.  We gave Dancer his medicines and his wet food.  He likes the wet food, but, he wants his regular dry food!  He knows I keep the bags in the laundry room, out of his reach, and he keeps pawing at the laundry room door to try to get access to them!

In the afternoon, I did some paperwork and wrote out a check to pay my natural gas bill.  Then, I set up a new budget for 2019, based on my net retirement income, after taxes and other deductions, including savings, are taken.  I made some changes to the categories and amounts and hope it works out well.

Later in the evening, I gave daughter's hair another hot oil treatment and we did the day's abs workout (she did the full 100; I did 50).  Then, she packed her suitcase and cleaned the litter box for me.  It began to rain in the evening, so the garden got a good watering.

We went to bed around 1:30 a.m.; I woke up at 2:00 a.m., feeling queasy and threw up!  I don't think it was anything I ate, however.  But I had felt nauseated on Friday (I thought it was due to being worried about Dancer) and hadn't felt exactly energetic over Saturday and most of Sunday, either. 

I've felt better, today.  In the morning, daughter and I gave Dancer his last dose of pain medication.  We spent a relaxed morning, just enjoying our last morning together.  I picked some oranges from the tree for daughter to take back with her, and gave her the salmon steaks I had cooked and frozen for her, as well as the fish rolls and a packet of cashew curry.  A little after noon, I drove my daughter to the airport, in plenty of time for her to check in to her flight.  She said the TSA agent looked at all the food she was taking and asked, "Mom?"  and daughter said, "Yes".  LOL!

When I was about to drive daughter to the airport and reached for my distance glasses that I wear while driving, one of the lenses fell out of the frame!  So, I wore the old distance glasses that I keep as a spare.  After I dropped daughter off at the airport, I drove to the optician's and had them reset the lens.  They are the new glasses; I've never had a lens come out in any of my old glasses!

After I came home, I washed the quilt I had on my bed.  I had no problem washing it in the new washing machine.  I am afraid I used the dryer to dry it!  Then, I washed all the dishes that were piled up in the sink.  I also cleaned out the fridge, emptied all the waste baskets, etc., and took the big trash can and recycling bin to the curb for pick up, tomorrow morning. 

Daughter called to say she got back to her apartment, safely.  She got back early enough to go to the dollar store to buy some fresh produce for her meals this week and do a load of laundry.  Later, she texted that she did her abs workout for today (100 toe touches - you hold your legs up in the air and do cross body crunches, trying to touch your toes with your elbows!)  I decided to skip today's exercises, using the fact that I hadn't felt well, last night, as my excuse!  Daughter said it was more of a valid reason than an excuse, so I'll go with that! 

The car service people called to remind me of my appointment, scheduled for tomorrow afternoon.  Then, I played around a bit more with my new budget, until I felt happy with how I've set it up.

I will video chat with my daughter a little later; after that, I'll give Dancer a bit more food and try to have an "early" night.

Now that daughter has gone back, the holidays have come to an end.  She starts work, again, tomorrow.  I need to go back to a more regular schedule and figure out what my weekly routines will be.  There's a lot that I want to do around the house and in the garden.  Just have to make a start!

Today, I am grateful for:
- Daughter had a safe flight and subway ride home
- She was home to help give Dancer all his pain medications
- The optician's office fixed the eye glasses at no cost
- I am feeling better
- The rain we received the last couple of days

Monday's accomplishments:
- Took daughter to the airport
- Got my eye glasses fixed
- Confirmed my appointment for the car service
- Did a load of laundry
- Washed the dishes
- Cleaned the fridge
- Took the trash cans out

Tuesday's To Do List:
- Bring the trash cans in
- Take the car to be serviced
- Go to the fabric store
- Call the dentist's office
- Start putting away the holiday decorations
- Wash daughter's bedding/remake her bed

How was your Sunday and Monday? 



  1. Glad you're feeling better. I thought maybe you had caught what your daughter had, but it passed much quicker than hers did.

    1. Thank you, Live and Learn. I don't know what it was, but I didn't like it! I do have a doctor's appointment coming up, so I will mention it.

  2. It will take a bit of getting used to with daughter being gone and the holidays done. Like you say, a regular routine will help. The house might seem really quiet for a bit.

    I think there's something going around so take it easy. I felt funky on Sunday morning - achy and dizzy but luckily it only lasted the day and I felt fine waking up Monday morning.

    1. I'm sorry you, too, didn't feel well on Sunday, but glad you felt better on Monday. I think it might be something going around. We tend to overextend ourselves during the holidays, too, and are generally prone to catching whatever is going around.

  3. Well done for accomplishing so much after being poorly during the night. I hope you are feeling better now and that you don't miss your daughter too much.

    I too have to focus on establishing some sort of routine/rhythm to my day, and also finalize my budget.

    1. Thank you, Eileen; I'm feeling better, today. But, I'm going to take it easy and not push myself too much.

  4. I am so glad you had a protracted visit with your daughter and yes the holidays are officially over now!
    I hope you can find a new routine that fits the retirement life you hope to have. The nicest thing to me is that you can have a schedule that fits you vs you having to fit another's schedule.

    1. Thank you, Anne. It was nice that my daughter and I could spend a little over 2 weeks, together. Yes, I need to come up with a schedule that suits me and accommodates my sleep patterns, etc. I've already learned to make my appointments for the afternoon, rather than first thing in the morning! Ha, ha!

  5. I'm sorry you were feeling unwell and hope you are on the mend. This year I got finished with my preparations early and was able to take it easier in December. I agree with you that we wear ourselves out for the holidays and our immune systems are vulnerable. I did not get sick this past Christmas *knock on wood*

    I laughed when I read about the extremely short exchange between the airport agent and your daughter. So funny!

    Speaking of your lens falling out of your new glasses, the same thing happened to me over the Christmas week. I was able to fix it myself with a little eyeglass repair kit from the Dollar Store that I keep in my purse, but those screws are so tiny they are almost impossible to see. Next time I am in the area, I will drop in to the optometrist's office to have them properly fixed. I think I need to make another appointment anyways to have my eyes checked. Our insurance pays for anyone over 65 to have yearly exams. And yes, I got a new pair of glasses last year; but unlike you, I don't really have a spare set. Those glasses were rimless and were pretty much destroyed. I should get myself another pair "just in case".

    1. Susan, you are my role model when it comes to holiday prep! Every year, I say I'll be ready in good time and, every year, I procrastinate and run short of time!

      I suppose the TSA agents are used to seeing young people take all kinds of food items back when they return after spending the holidays at home. Most people will check in their baggage, but my daughter prefers to take hers as carry on, so they always check what she takes. So far, the only item they objected to was a jar of peanut butter, even if it was sealed. We now know that peanut butter is considered a "liquid" and we don't take it in our carry on luggage!

      Good idea to have one of those eyeglass repair kits on hand! But, when I got my glasses, I was told that I could bring them in anytime I wanted to have them adjusted or cleaned, so, I took advantage of that. The office isn't too far from my house, so, it was convenient. If you can get an extra pair, that would be a good thing, too, I think.

  6. I'm glad you are feeling better, Bless.
    Perhaps you felt sick because you were sad knowing that daughter was leaving after a long holiday with you.

    The story about the food and the TSA agent made me laugh. :)

    1. Thank you, Nil. I think I just got a little too tired over the holidays.

      Yes, the poor TSA agents are probably wondering what is going on when it comes to carrying food back and forth! When my daughter comes down for anything longer than the weekend, she brings the fruits and vegetables she has in her fridge that she thinks might not keep until she goes back. When she goes back, I give her food to take back with her - this time it was about 3 lbs. of cooked salmon, some pastry rolls with fish filling, a packet of cashew curry, and 5 oranges from the tree! They are care packages, I tell her. :)

  7. How nice to be able to wash and dry your quilt in the new washer and dryer! You did well to get on with things after you dropped your daughter off at the airport. I sometimes find it feels strange after family leave and I don't always know what to do at first!
    I have much of the Christmas stuff put away and the tree was taken outside just before supper. Needles will be vacuumed in the morning. I have been sorting out some decorations for tossing but it feels like the wrong end of the year to donate them. I might just hang onto them in a box until nearer to next Christmas when shoppers in charity shops will be looking for them. What would you do?

    1. I find it helps to do a couple of things when daughter leaves, so I don't sit and mope. :)

      I'd call the charity shop you are donating to to ask them if they have a preference as to when they receive the holiday decorations. Some people do like to shop all year to pick up what they can well in advance of the holidays. If the aim is to declutter, then, the sooner things leave the house, the less you have to store and remember to donate closer to next Christmas. But, if the shops ask you to hold on to them and you have the storage space and don't mind storing it, then, that should be fine, too.

  8. I enjoy reading all of your posts, but I especially love your posts when your daughter is home. I have said it before, but I am so glad you two have such a close relationship!

    1. Thank you, Joy. Yes, I'm blessed to have a close relationship with her. Wouldn't change it for anything!


Thank you for visiting my blog and commenting. Your comments are much appreciated. Please comment in English. Thank you.