Monday, June 25, 2018

Back to Work Monday and Doctor's Appointment

Today, I went to the office in the morning and had a rather productive morning, responding to emails and returning phone calls, mostly, but getting some work completed, as well.   

During my lunch break, I tried to call about the doctor's bill I had received (which I had called about, last month, as well), but, I think they were out to lunch when I called, as it was just before noon.  I left a message, but will call again, tomorrow.  

In the afternoon, I went to my pre-colonoscopy consultation.  My appointment was at 3:40 p.m. (and they wanted me to come in 15 minutes prior to that).  But I left the office early, at 2:00 p.m., because I wasn't sure how long it would be before a shuttle bus would come for me to return to where I park my car and I didn't want to feel rushed.  I remembered that the last time I had to go to a doctor's appointment from the office, I waited for almost half an hour for the shuttle bus to come.  Today, however, the shuttle bus came right away!  I was at  the parking garage by 2:15 p.m.  I also didn't know how bad the traffic would be (when I looked at the route map online, it showed two spots with traffic delays), so I was making allowances for that, as well.  However, traffic was fairly smooth and I was at the clinic almost an hour prior to my appointment time! 

I was fully prepared to wait, but they were nice and took me in as soon as I had filled out the new patient information forms.  The doctor was nice, too.  He was concerned when I mentioned my iron levels were low.  So, in addition to the colonoscopy, he wants to do an endoscopy, too!  I suppose it is best to get all the screening tests done.  Both procedures will be done on the same day.  They put in for the authorization and they will call me to schedule the procedure once authorization has been received. 

Because they took me in earlier than my appointment time, I was able to leave downtown early.  I drove straight to the pharmacy and picked up my refills (and the stuff I need to take before the colonoscopy).  I was home by 5:00 p.m., which was good.

I had eaten a banana and a yogurt with some cereal for a late breakfast and hadn't been hungry for the salad with chicken that I had taken for my lunch.  So, after I came home, I ate my salad and had a cup of tea.  Later, I ate a slice of toast with a scrambled egg for dinner.  I was tempted to have a slice of cake, too, but I am trying to lose a little weight before I see my primary care physician, next, and I won't lose any weight if I keep eating cake!  So, I sliced the rest of the cake and froze it!  

After I came home from the doctor's and the pharmacy, I took the trash cans to the curb, turned the sprinklers on to water the back garden, put away the laundry from yesterday and did another load.  I also called a friend's daughter to wish her for her birthday and called aunt C to check on her.  Aunt said I sounded tired, and, I suppose I am, but I accomplished all the tasks that were on my to do list for today!  

Monday's To Do List:
- Go to the office - DONE
- Make a photocopy of the list of medications - DONE
- Get driving directions to the clinic - DONE
- Go to the doctor's appointment - DONE
- Call the insurance/medical billing office re. the bill I received (which I thought was taken care of, earlier) - DONE/left message, but might have to call again
- Pharmacy to pick up refill - DONE
- Take the trash cans to the curb - DONE
- Water the back garden - DONE
- Put away the dried laundry from today - DONE
- Do another load of laundry - DONE
- Call aunt C - DONE
- Wish friend's daughter for her birthday - DONE

Today, I am grateful for:
- A good consultation with the doctor/Being seen early, without any problems
- Free parking at the clinic
- Safe driving to the office, to the clinic, to the pharmacy, and back home, again
- Drama-free prescription refills at the pharmacy!
- Being able to accomplish all what I set out to do, today

Tuesday's To Do List:
- Go to the office
- Bring the trash cans in
- Call the billing office, again/call insurance, again, if needed
- Put gas to the car (can be done on Wednesday, too)
- Put away laundry
- Clean the litter box

How was your Monday?  Were you able to accomplish all what you wanted to do?  What have you planned for Tuesday?


  1. Have you had a colonoscopy before? I've had two now, and hopefully the next one in two years time will be the last (providing the results are clear again). Each time you write about your medical procedures, billing and obtaining authorisation etc., it makes me grateful for our health service in the UK. The US system seems to add to the stress levels, and that's something I'm not very good at coping with.

    1. Eileen, yes, I've had a colonoscopy, about 10 years ago (and they lost the results, between that doctor's office and my primary care physician's clinic! One office claimed they sent it to the clinic, the clinic claimed they never received it, I called and asked it to be sent again, and, because I didn't follow up, nothing ever came of it!)

      I am just grateful to have my current medical insurance. I've spoken to others who have a different type of insurance and they've told me a few horror stories of what they've experienced!

      When I was undergoing chemo and received various bills for quite what I don't know, I just paid them, because that was the easier thing to do! I didn't have the energy to call and question and argue with them. :)

  2. Just a word of caution about the endoscopy. I had one and had a very sore throat for several days afterwards. A little of a sore throat was mentioned, but not to the degree I had it. Not everyone has a bad sore throat, but some do. That's not to scare you, but for you to get some supplies before hand like Popcycles, etc. in case you need them. You may not because it really is a "little" sore throat for many. No one had mentioned a bad one to me and I wondered if something was wrong--which it wasn't.

    1. Thank you, Live and Learn. I did wonder about any soreness, afterwards. I read that there will be some mild soreness, but I also read that the tube will be about the thickness of a finger, which wasn't very comfortable-sounding! I'll be sure to lay in a supply of popsicles!

  3. That was a busy day! You have been blessed with very thorough medical staff ... it’s good that they will explore the source of your low iron levels and chronic fatigue. Be kind to yourself and please don’t try to do too much. (((Hugs)))

    1. Thank you, Carolyn. Yes, I am grateful that the doctors seem to be so proactive. I am trying not to do too much, I promise. There's a lot that needs to be done, but I keep telling myself that I'll have time for it after next month! :D

  4. A very successful two days. You accomplished quite a bit after dropping off your daughter yesterday. What a great visit you had with her. Today's To-Do list was very long but you managed it all. So nice that the Dr.'s office took you in early.

    1. Thank you, Susan. It felt very satisfying to be able to cross those items off the list! A lot of them were small tasks - 5 to 10 minutes of active work - but they needed to be done. It really helped that the Dr.'s office took me in early. It meant I still had energy to do my other stuff. :)

  5. You always sound so organised, Bless. I hope all your tests give good results for you.

    1. Thank you, Eloise. I'm glad that I sound organized, because, I want to be organized, but, so often, feel that I am not! LOL.


Thank you for visiting my blog and commenting. Your comments are much appreciated. Please comment in English. Thank you.