Happy Friday the 13th! This is the only Friday the 13th, this year, so hope everyone made the best of it!
I went in for hydration and an immune booster injection, today. No chemo therapy as it was postponed until next week in order to prevent my immune system from being more compromised during my up-coming trip to Berkeley. I am so glad the doctors are willing to work with me to enable me to attend my daughter's graduation.
After we came home, I finished this week's work assignment, sent the completed work off, and sent a status update to my supervisor. I also sent her a reminder that I will be taking vacation time off Monday through Wednesday of next week.
In the evening, my daughter tried on the sari blouses; the one she wore for her Bachelor's degree graduation still fits her so she will wear that. The sari she will be wearing is one of mine. I offered to buy her a new sari to wear for the occasion but she declined saying she didn't see the need for that expense!
My daughter signed her work contract yesterday and we spent some time figuring out a budget for her. We know her gross pay; what we don't know is how much will be deducted for taxes, etc. So, we won't know her net or "take-home" pay until she gets her first pay check, towards the end of June. I prefer to make budgets based on net pay since I think it gives a more accurate picture of what is exactly available to spend and save. But, for now, we are going to assume that her taxes and other deductions will amount to 20% of her pay, leaving her with 80% as net income. The budget we made out is based on a presumed take home pay of 80% of her gross income. Obviously, there will be some adjusting done as we find out what her exact take home pay will be.
Her biggest expense will be rent. Rent in Berkeley is ridiculously high. Daughter has searched for lower rent apartments outside of Berkeley, but within a reasonable commute of her job, but only one of the places she sent inquiries to even bothered to respond to her inquiry. All the others were non-responsive. So, we decided she will continue to rent her present studio apartment and renewed her lease. She has the advantage of being familiar with the neighborhood after living there for the past two years, being on the direct bus line to her office, and even being able to walk to work and back when the weather is nice. Most importantly, we know the area is relatively safe and the apartment management has been very responsive to service requests, etc.
She is allocating herself $100 per month for utilities. So far, her utilities have not amounted to $100, but we are keeping a nice cushion, for just in case.
Her grocery budget will continue to be $100 per month and she's allowing herself another $100 for all her other expenses (household purchases, clothes, eating out, socializing with friends, etc.)
She is also hoping to be able to save a certain amount of her salary. I have given her my ideal guideline of living on 70% of her income and saving 30%. We don't know if she will be able to do it, but that's what we are aiming for.
Today, I am grateful for:
- My doctors have done what they can to enable me to attend daughter's graduation.
- I am able to take vacation time off from my work to attend daughter's graduation.
- Daughter being practical and willing to wear what's already in our combined closets.
- Daughter having a job waiting for her upon graduation.
- Budgeting skills!
How was your Friday the 13th?