Saturday, October 9, 2021

Wawa Melon and Other Happenings on Friday

Today, I had a blood test scheduled for the early afternoon.  I try to schedule my blood tests for the morning because they are usually fasting blood tests (although, today's one wasn't). But, I couldn't get a morning appointment for today or for next Monday, so, I selected the early afternoon appointment.  I tried to fast even though it was not required, but, by 12 noon, I was getting hungry!  So, I had a small serving of tomato soup and went for the blood test.  I didn't have a long wait to be called in and I was glad I had asked the clinic to email a copy of my lab order (this is the one that I had misplaced and couldn't find), because the lab claimed they didn't have the one that was supposed to have been faxed to them!  

After I came home, I felt a little light-headed!  I don't know if it was because I had been hungry, earlier, or if it was the four vials of blood that were drawn, or if it was a side effect of the anti-histamine I had taken, yesterday (they are effective for 24 hours and 24 hours hadn't passed since I took it).  Probably, it was a combination of all three.  Anyway, after I came home, I had more soup, a slice of toast, drank some lemon-lime soda, and rested on the sofa.

I had planned to take some of my tomato soup to friend R, after I came home from the lab, but, I thought it would not be wise to drive when I felt light-headed!  I will take her some soup, tomorrow, instead.

I had also planned to call the furnace people, this afternoon, to find out what was happening.  But, someone from the company had called while I was having my blood drawn and left a message!  I called back as soon as I got home and got the message.  He was calling to schedule the appointment with the inspector!  Yay!  However, the earliest date he had available was for the first week in November!  November?!  November 3rd!  I asked if they can't move it forward because I tend to feel cold and might want to turn on the furnace before that!  He asked if the new furnace was working and I said, yes, but, I don't want to use it until the inspector had been and signed off on it, especially since there are openings in the wall so that the inspector could see the installation!  He said he will check what he can do and promised to call me back within 40 minutes.  I had my lunch while I waited for him to call. 

He called back before the 40 minutes were up.  He had spoken to one of the technicians and he had said that it was safe to use the furnace, even with the openings in the wall, that they were there only to show that the vent has been placed correctly, etc.  Well, I still feel reluctant to use the heater before the inspector has inspected, but, it's good to know that I could technically use it if needed.  He said he could also bring the day of the inspection forward a bit, to October 28.  I accepted his offer to bring it forward by a few days.  He also said that a technician will be present when the inspector comes to inspect, which is good, because if the inspector sees something needs adjusting, the technician would, hopefully, be able to tend to that.   I don't know when the plasterer will be able to tend to the walls, but, first things first, I suppose.  At least, things are being scheduled!  

Later, the light-headedness went off and I felt OK.  I did three loads of laundry, including the bed sheets, did a little embroidery (still working on the basket of fruits!), and cooked a ground turkey curry, some broccoli, and a pot of rice for dinner.

In the evening, when M was here to tend to the garden, we decided to pick Wawa Melon because the vine had started to die.  It weighed in at almost 4lbs!

Wawa Weighs In!

Ready for Sampling

M, my daughter, and I each had a slice and we all agreed that it tasted good, although it could have been a little sweeter.  The rest is in the fridge to be enjoyed over the weekend.  We left Walter III on the vine to be picked next week.  Thank you, Wawa for treating us to a nice, refreshing slice of watermelon!    

Today, I am grateful for:

- Watermelon from the garden
- The blood tests were done without a fuss
- A safe drive to and from the lab
- M tending to the garden
- The furnace inspection has been scheduled!  

Today's joyful activity was harvesting Wawa Melon!

Plans for tomorrow include taking some soup to friend R and vacuuming (as I didn't finish vacuuming the rest of the house).

How was your Friday?  What are your plans for the weekend?


October Decluttering:
10/1 - 1 banana holder (to be donated)
10/2 - 3 decorative beaded buckles (to be donated)
10/3 - 1 craft book
10/4 - 3 anime books (daughter's; to be donated)
10/5 - 1 pack of HP playing cards (daughter's; to be donated)
        - 1 Rubik's cube-type 3D puzzle (a triangle, instead of a cube; daughter's to be donated)
        - 1 chemistry set for making models of molecules and ions (daughter's; to be donated)
10/6 - 6 bottles of old dried up craft paint
        - 3 items of clothing (to be donated; daughter took 2 of them!)
10/7 - 5 knitted scarves
10/8 - 1 basket


  1. It sounds like it may be time for the next couple of weeks to bundle up in all of the sweaters you have knit. I understand your hesitancy to run the furnace before it's inspected.

    1. Yes, and I do have two portable electric space heaters, if needed. There are plenty of quilts, too, for when it gets cold in the night. Today has been sunny and in the low 70s; the windows are open to let in the warm air. :)

  2. Wawa looks delicious!
    Glad you know the furnace is safe, but I would be like you and wait for the inspection.

    1. Wawa turned out better than expected! :)

      I think I will hold off on turning the furnace on until it has been inspected. I have two electric space heaters, if needed, plenty of quilts and blankets, not to mention all the sweaters. :)

  3. It looks great! Good thing you are a knitter and have warm sweaters and blankets until that furnace is inspected. It's getting colder. I have been using the new fireplace insert for heat. It makes the cabin so warm and cozy! I love it.

    1. Thank you, Stephenie. Yes, I have plenty of warm sweaters and blankets I've knitted, plus lots of quilts and two portable electric heaters, if needed. I don't think it will get all that cold until the furnace is checked - not like January or February. I imagine it is starting to get cold up where you are. Glad you have the new fireplace insert to keep you warm and cozy. :)

  4. Wawa melon looks lovely inside! I've actually never heard of having a furnace inspected by someone other than the company that installed it. I call the installer every fall to inspect and clean it, but there's no one else I can call. The gas company will only come out if there is a leak you can smell. California has very different regulations than here in the Midwest! We just have to trust the furnace company! Celie

    1. It turned out to be a very good melon, all things considered! Over here, at least in the City of Los Angeles, one needs a City building permit to install a new furnace and the City's building inspector needs to come out, inspect the installation, and approve it. According to the furnace company technician, the furnace is safe to operate, but, I am being overly cautious, I suppose and prefer to wait for the inspector to say it has been installed properly, according to code, etc. Just don't want to take a chance and have something blow up and then try to explain to my homeowners insurance people why I used a heater before it passed inspection! :D

  5. Wawa Melon looks as perfect as a bowling ball. How nice that it is perfectly ripe for eating.
    This is our Thanksgiving Weekend and for the first time we will be going to DS and family instead of them coming to us. I don't have to cook the turkey - yay! I have made a pumpkin pie to take, complete with gluten-free crust, and some gluten-free cookies. Today was fine but rain has set in for the night. That's okay, even the squirrels won't mind as they will be tucked away, too.

    1. It does look nice and ripe, doesn't it? Not very sweet, but, sweet enough.

      How lovely to be going to DS and family for Thanksgiving! Less work for you, even with making the pie and cookies. I hope you have good weather for the drive there and back. I imagine their garden would look lovely in the fall, just as it did in the spring. Happy Thanksgiving, Bushlady. :)

  6. The melon looks delicious. I could just eat a slice.
    I'm glad you've been able to bring the date of the inspection forward. It's not too long to wait at least. X

    1. It turned out better than I expected! Today, we picked Walter as his vine had died, too!

      Yes, I'm hoping the day of the inspection will be here, soon! :)

  7. How nice to be able to grow one's own watermelon! Compo and Creeper are still in the ground, but their vines are starting to look a bit tatty too. I may leave them another week or so, then bring them indoors to ripen. Creeper has quite a large amount of orange, whereas Compo only has a tiny bit so far...

    1. It is fun to be able to harvest watermelon from the garden! We picked Walter, yesterday, and dismantled the fort! M grows pumpkins, so, maybe, next year, I might try growing some, myself! Sounds like your pumpkins are coming along nicely! Just in time for Halloween! :D


Thank you for visiting my blog and commenting. Your comments are much appreciated. Please comment in English. Thank you.