Friday, November 4, 2016

The First Days of November

Autumn Berries

On Tuesday, the first of November, I took down and put away the Halloween decorations.   I debated whether to put up the Thanksgiving decorations, but decided to wait for a few more days.  I tidied the cabinet where I store the table linen, put away the laundry from the previous day, and, after speaking with the monks at the temple, set the date for the almsgiving.  It will be held on the first Sunday in December.

On Wednesday, I did a little bit of housework (dusted the living room) and spent some time on the phone with the pharmacy and the doctor's office, about the status of my medication.  Apparently, the medication I had been on is no longer available.  The pharmacy is supposed to have faxed the doctor's office and, after I called the doctor's office, they called the pharmacy and called me back to say that a new medication has been prescribed and I should have it the following day.

On Thursday, I finally picked up my medications!  That's right - the one medication, which had been a combination of two, has been replaced by two separate medications.  I am just grateful to finally receive the medications.   

After I picked up my medications, I stopped at the grocery store to pick up a few things:  

November 3 Groceries

2 Bread rolls ($.25@), 2 cans of condensed milk ($1.59@), roast beef cold cuts ($3.49), soda ($2.49 plus CRV and tax), and a yogurt ($.39).  The total came to $10.61.  I am planning to buy some fresh fruits and vegetables from a different store, this weekend, and will do my weekly grocery post after that.

The living room mantel looked a little bare after the Halloween decorations were taken down, so I picked a few sprigs of berries from the curry leaf tree and arranged them in a vase.  Not exactly a floral "arrangement", but it is OK.  It brings a little color and Dancer is not interested in eating them.

Later in the evening, I experienced some trouble with my laptop charging cord!  I plugged it in as usual, but the laptop was not charging!  The portion that gets inserted into the computer didn't seem to make a connection!  I managed to get the computer charged up by holding the cord in place, however.

Today, I used the computer for office work and it was only after I finished this week's work and sent it off, that I visited other blogs!  I have managed to get the cord to make a connection and I've duct taped it in place.  I guess I'll have to go to the computer store to see if I can get a replacement cord.  But, in the meantime, the duct taped cord is working!  :D

I also did a load of laundry and watered the front garden, today.  

Today, I am grateful for:

- I finally have my medications
- Lovely weather
- Fresh guavas from the tree
- A working computer
- Keeping in touch with family and friends

How have the first days of November been for you?  What have you planned for the weekend?



  1. Guavas don't grow around here and I don't buy them because they're too expensive. I've never learned how to eat them. How do you usually use them?

    1. Most guavas, just wash and cut into pieces as one would an apple and eat. Or, again, like an apple, one could just bite into the fruit, without cutting it. The whole fruit is edible, one doesn't need to peel them. There are small hard seeds inside, more or less distributed throughout the inside and they are simply swallowed, along with the rest of the fruit.

      The guavas I picked the other day are pineapple guavas, also known as feijoa. They are a type of guava, but not the variety that is usually available in a grocery store. The peel of these particular guavas isn't edible. One cuts the fruit in half and scoops out the flesh with a spoon. They don't have any hard seeds.

  2. Hi Bless! I love how the curry plant branches and berries look in the vase. I used to bring in branches of Fall colored leaves and use those in my home at this time of year. :) I'm glad you finally got the medicine situation figured out and now have what you need once more. I have had the same kind of trouble with the charging cord on my laptop and ended up just buying a new cord. I think I got mine through because it was so much cheaper going through them.

    Our plans for the weekend are to have the grandkids come and spend the night tonight. :) We will get them later this afternoon and I suspect hot tub with them first, then have dinner and maybe do s'mores in the firepit if the wind calms down. I got a new movie for them but we will wait to watch that on Sunday morning. I suspect with the time change we will be up very early with them so I need something for them to watch while Grammie had coffee and wakes up herself. ;)

    Have a great weekend my friend!

    1. Sounds like you have a fun weekend planned with the grandkids, Debbie. I'm sure a visit with Grammie is a favorite activity for them. :)

  3. Bless, I have the same problem with my laptop and I also have taped the cord to the laptop and only move it very gingerly. I'm afraid that if you have to hold the cord in place to it to charge your battery, the problem might not be with the cord itself but with the internal power supply connection inside of your laptop. It's a common problem, from my research. Myself, I found a place in town that will order the replacement part and replace it, but they would need to keep the laptop for at least a week (they have to open it in order to see exactly which part to order and then they just keep it, waiting for the part to come in). I have a lot of documents that are confidential (financials and other) that I keep on my laptop and that I would need to move and completely wipe out of my hard drive before I felt comfortable to entrust them with my laptop so for now I make do with the tape. It's annoying since the rest of the laptop works perfectly! Make sure that you back up your important documents and pictures to an external source on a regular basis, should you, one day, not be able to power up your laptop at all!

    I'm glad you were finally able to get your medications and I really like your "flower" arrangement! Ingenious and free, on top of being pretty and festive looking.

    Have a great weekend!

    1. Thanks, Nathalie. I haven't had any problems after I taped the cord in place! Even when the first piece of duct tape came off! I didn't want to test my luck too much, so put another piece of tape! So far, so good! I am going to wait until my daughter comes home next weekend and then see what she thinks (I really don't know anything about computers!) I can't be without a computer for a week (or even a few days) since I need it for office work. If necessary, I'll buy a new lap top and then, get this one repaired so I'll have an extra computer!

  4. I've had that happen with a computer or two. So annoying. Sometimes a new cord works, sometimes it's the connecting piece on the computer.

    Quiet day today. Tomorrow middle son will come down for the afternoon. Hubby and I are off to explore a new-to-us park recommended by a friend.

    1. I guess parts get worn out. I will keep the cord taped until my daughter has a chance to look at it and decide if I need to get a new computer or not.

      Sounds like you're having a pleasant weekend, with family visiting and exploring a new park. Thank you for stopping by and commenting. Hope to hear from you, again.

  5. I'm glad that you got the medication and I recommend Amazon for the cord if you don't want to go to the store but seriously - I love the vase! I really love blue & white china and that looks so elegant and fresh. Take care of yourself. You are still on the slopes of that mountain. hugs x

    1. Thank you, Lyssa. I love blue and white china, myself, and have collected quite a few pieces. Thank you, too, for the reminder that I am still on the slopes of the mountain. I am feeling much better and keep forgetting that I am still recovering. Then I wake up feeling tired of a morning or not feeling like doing much (like today) and wonder what's wrong with me! :D


Thank you for visiting my blog and commenting. Your comments are much appreciated. Please comment in English. Thank you.