Friday, December 11, 2015

Friday: Oncologist Visit, Hydration and Injections

Daughter arrived last night, which is a blessing.

Her friend who picked her up from the airport and drove her home, gave me a gift of homemade barley tea lollipops that he and another friend made for me!  Supposed to help with the nausea, I was told.  Daughter has been friends with one since 4th grade and the other since 6th grade.  I thought it was very thoughtful and kind of them.   Blessings on the parents who have raised such considerate young men (both in their early 20s).

Bucket of Homemade Barley Tea Lollipops!

Early this morning, daughter drove me to the oncologist appointment.  The visit went well enough.  I was weighed - I've lost 6 lbs. in one week.  It's mostly water weight, I'm sure, and I'll probably gain it all back once I am eating and drinking normally, more's the pity.  I really could afford to lose a lot more weight!  My pressure was a bit high, again.

Oncologist reviewed my blood test results and said it looked fine, but stated that my white blood cell counts will go down next week and so, I still needed to get the white blood cell count booster shots; side effects can be a rash, fever, bone ache, possible chest pain. I am to take Tylenol for the aches and pains (and fever; but if over 100.4F, then, to call the clinic) and Claritin to prevent allergic reactions.

One injection was given today; I need to go back for the rest on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, next week.  Plus do another blood test on Wednesday.

After I was seen by the oncologist, I received the hydration treatment - saline solution (I presume) given intravenously.  My next hydration treatment is scheduled for next Friday.

While I was receiving the treatment, the nurses came in and announced that it was the birthday of one of the other patients who was also receiving treatment.  They brought in a birthday cake and we all sang happy birthday and were served slices of cake.  I thought that it was lovely of the nursing staff to make the effort, but also felt that it was rather sad to be celebrating one's birthday while receiving treatment.

On the way home, I felt hungry in a very long time!  So, I asked daughter to stop by a Japanese take out restaurant and she bought me a teriyaki beef bowl.  Came home and ate some of that.  It was the first time I had felt like eating since my chemo treatment, last week!  Daughter was so happy to see me having an appetite, again!

After lunch, daughter went to the pharmacy to buy me the Claritin.

My friend who does my garden repotted my dracaena plant, today, while I looked on.  It now has a much bigger and heavier (terra cotta) pot to counter balance the top heavy branches.  I had everything we needed - terra cotta pot, potting soil, a plate to catch the drips - so, didn't need to buy anything.  It has to live in the rather messy 3rd bedroom to keep away from the cat who loves to eat plants, since it is toxic to cats.

Repotted Dracaena

It keeps the orchid plant (a gift from my gardener friend) company:

Orchid Plant

Later, daughter and I took a nap.

Now, she's working on her last finals project (due before midnight, tonight!  Thank goodness for on-line submission of projects!)

It rained a little bit, yesterday in the evening and today in the afternoon (we'll take whatever we can get!)    It has stopped raining now, but it is quite windy.

Today, I am grateful for:

- Daughter being home for the holidays!
- Daughter being available to drive me to multiple medical appointments and run errands for me
- Homemade lollipops from her friends
- Rain!
- A bigger pot for my plant

How was your Friday?


  1. You sound a lot better, Bless! Awesome that you were hungry and your appetite is returning. And, thanks so much for stopping by my blog and commenting! Always look forward to it!

    1. Thank you, Carolyn. And I love your Christmas decorations!

  2. Just dropping by with (((Hugs))). What a lot of treatments you are involved with, but it is good to see them balanced with a kind gift, a birthday celebration and having your daughter with you.

    1. Bushlady, thank you so much for the hugs! Much appreciated. There's certainly a lot of treatments, but it's good that they are so thorough.

  3. BLess, I am so happy to hear that you felt hungry and was able to eat some...
    Praying that the side effects of all treatment will go away. take care..
    I am also so happy that your daughter is home with you for the Christmas holidays..

    1. Judy, thank you. Looking forward to having this all behind me!

  4. So happy you felt like eating. That's great!

  5. So glad things are going well. I still pray for you. Does your cat try and get in the room all the time? I rescued some poinsettias which are also toxic to cats and I had a real job keeping them out of that room. Glad you ate. x

    1. Thanks, Sybil. He loves to go into that room and sleep on the guest bed. But I keep the door closed and he's kept out of the room.


Thank you for visiting my blog and commenting. Your comments are much appreciated. Please comment in English. Thank you.