Wednesday, September 30, 2026

Monthly Photo Challenge: September - Measuring/Measurements

The theme for September's monthly photo challenge, hosted by Eileen at A Bracelet of Days was Measuring/Measurements.

Here are my selections:


One Cup of Water


One Cup of Pancake Mix


Butter Measurements


Measuring the Length of a Zipper


Measuring the Temperature


Music Measures 


Two Cups of Calamondin Juice

Thank you Eileen for hosting the monthly photo challenge.  It's always a pleasure to join in it.  

10 comments:

  1. My favorite photo this month are the music measures. A clever interpretation of the assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are some lovely pics.

    Just a brief grumble - measuring butter in tablespoons is confusing for this poor Brit. A block of butter is much easier to slice - like your measurement pic - and weigh. And I worry about measuring flour, because sifted and non sifted take up different volume when I'm doing it. Using North American recipes needs quite a bit of translation sometimes.
    Though I think you have it much better with knitting patterns where you ask for yards or metres of yarn rather than weight, which is a better way of knowing how much you need for a project. There can be quite a difference in length with different balls of 100g yarn that may be called for in our patterns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lyssa.
      Definitely feel free to grumble! We get our butter in 1 lb. packages consisting of 4 sticks, each weighing 4 oz. (or half a cup) and each stick of butter is the equivalent of 8 tablespoons. The butter wrapper is marked with tablespoons, and 1/4 cup at the 4 tablespoons mark. If a recipe calls for 1/4 cup of butter, then, it is 4 tablespoons or half a stick of butter. If the recipe calls for 1/2 cup of butter, then, it is 8 tablespoons or a whole stick of butter. 1 cup of butter is the equivalent of two sticks of butter (or 16 tbsp). One can buy butter in 1 lb. blocks, too, but, most of our butter comes in 1/4 lb. (4 oz.) sticks. One can weigh it out or measure it out, too, of course, but, that's one extra step for us. :)
      As for flour, yes, the weight depends on whether one just dips the cup measure into the flour and scoops it up, or stirs the flour in the canister and then spoons it into the cup, or sifts it. I generally don't weigh my flour, unless I am baking a special cake or making a particular pastry and the recipe recommends weighing the flour. :)
      As for knitting, I rarely follow a printed pattern for a project, which is probably why all my finished items look a bit different, every time! LOL.

      Delete
  3. It's so interesting to compare your measuring jug with mine, (geared to Canadian measurements). I was trying to find the equivalent to a pint recently while using a UK recipe, and my jug only has metric and cups. I sometimes have a problem converting measuring spoons, because they read in metric but for fluids rather than for grams!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My measuring jug, too, has cups (and ounces) on one side and metric on the other side. I grew up using the old British imperial measurements and it took me a while to realize that the American pint is 16 fl. oz., whereas the old British pint was 20 fl. oz. I also have some old recipes that call for "half a bottle of vinegar" (my chutney recipe) or "one wine glass of honey" and " half a bottle of rose essence" (my Love Cake recipe). Vinegar used to come in a standard sized bottle back then, but, I've no idea exactly what its volume was. I figured out that the nearest equivalent would be a bottle of wine, which is usually 750 ml. and that's what I now use when I measure out the vinegar for my chutney. :)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda. I always enjoy these photo challenges. :)

      Delete
  5. I especially like the music measures! Clever!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and commenting. Your comments are much appreciated. Please comment in English. No Anonymous comments, please. And no links to other websites, especially advertising products. Thank you.