Monday, September 14, 2026

September Groceries - Part 2

September Groceries 9/14/26


I put in an order of groceries on Sunday night and they were delivered this Monday morning.  I wanted more half and half for my daughter as she mentioned that the previous container, bought last week, was starting to taste a bit off.  We also wanted more fruit and I wanted some meal replacement drinks and yogurt as I have another dental appointment coming up (next Monday).  The canned tuna was a stock up item and I can always do with another tray of chicken drumsticks and a loaf of bread!   I received everything I ordered with one substitution - the name brand yogurt because they didn't have the store brand (the shopper took some photos of the shelves and sent to me).

I didn't order any vegetables because the garden is still producing kale in abundance and lots of moringa pods.

Here's the receipt:


Order Summary

Original Item Total$49.48
Item Coupons/Sales-$6.02
Order Coupons-$1.00
Fulfillment Fee+$0.00
Other Fees+$0.20
Sales Tax$0.00
Order Total$42.66

Item Details

14 Items

Cantaloupe, 1 ct$3.00
1 x $3.00 $3.99 each
Ensure Original Dark Chocolate Nutrition Shake | Small Meal Replacement Shake | 8 fl oz - 6 Pack, 6 bottles / 8 fl oz$10.99
1 x $10.99 $11.99 each
Fresh Bunch of Bananas – 5-7 Bananas, 1 bunch$1.50
2.17 lbs x $0.69 each (approx.)
Kroger® Half and Half Half Gallon, 1/2 gal$5.49
1 x $5.49 each
Kroger® White Sandwich Bread, 20 oz$1.99
1 x $1.99 each
Mini Seedless Whole Watermelon, 1 ct$3.00
1 x $3.00 $4.99 each
Mountain High™ Plain Low Fat Yogurt Tub, 32 oz$4.99
1 x $4.99 each
Smart Way™ Fresh Uncooked Chicken Drumsticks, 4.5 lb$5.00
1 x $5.00 each
StarKist® Chunk Light Tuna in Water Can, 5 oz$7.50
6 x $1.25 $1.59 each

Order Coupons

-$1.00

Store Coupon-$1.00

Other Fees

$0.20

Bag Fee$0.20
2 x $0.10 each


I spent a total of $42.66 on this grocery order.  

My September grocery budget (for food items only) = $250

Spent to date = $56.50 + $42.66 = $99.16

Balance remaining in the September grocery budget = $250 - $99.16 = $150.84


Pondering the Grocery Budget:

When I first started this blog (July 2014), I budgeted $150/month for groceries (food, only) for my daughter and myself or $75 per person, per month.  When daughter went away to attend university, I budgeted $75/month for myself and set up a budget of $100 for my daughter as grocery prices in the Bay Area were a little higher.  My budget, at the time, included an additional $25/month for eating out/take out.

During the Covid pandemic, I chose to do curbside pick up of my groceries from a slightly more expensive supermarket which offered this service (free of charge with a minimum purchase), instead of shopping in person at the less expensive stores I used to shop at pre-Covid.  As a result, I found it difficult to keep to the $75 budget I had set for myself.  But, since I was not eating out or getting take out, I added the $25 from my eating out budget to my grocery budget and increased it to $100/mo. and that worked out quite nicely. 

Later, when my daughter came to stay with me for an extended period of time during the latter part of the Covid pandemic, I increased the budget to $200/mo. for the two of us and when she went back to the Bay Area, I decreased my budget to $100/mo., again.  It was still $100/mo. in October 2024.  Then, my daughter came home for another extended stay from November 2024 until end of March 2025 and I increased my grocery budget to $200/mo. for the two of us.  But, when she went back to the Bay Area after her trip to Japan in April, I went back to budgeting $100 /mo. for myself.  But, prices had gone up and I overspent in April (I used unspent money from my car fuel budget to cover what I overspent on groceries).  

Then, in May 2025, I increased the budget to $150/mo. because I was stocking up on coffee for my daughter.  Her favorite coffee was on sale for $7.99/12 oz. package and I bought a total of 10 packages during the month, using nearly $80 or over half of my grocery budget for the purpose!  I budgeted $150 again in June 2025, too, but, in July 2025, I set the grocery budget at $100, again.  

However, in August 2025, my daughter came to live at home, permanently and I increased the food budget to $250/month for the two of us.  I'm still keeping to that budget for the most part, adjusting what I buy as prices go up, in order to keep to that budget and carrying over any balance (positive or negative) into the next month.  I stayed under budget in January and February, went over by $3.70 in March, stayed under budget in April, went over the budget in May, stayed under budget in June, July, and August!  I had $1.30 left in the August grocery budget, but, I didn't carry it over to September and started September with a $250 budget.  

With grocery prices likely to increase in the upcoming months, sticking to this budget and still eating a fairly well balanced diet might be a challenge.  I am wondering if I will have to increase my grocery budget next year.  

In the meantime, I am grateful for:

- Being able to order groceries online
- Having the groceries delivered 
- The availability of groceries
- Garden produce
- Eggs from our own chickens 

Do you have a monthly (or annual) grocery budget?  If so, are you able to keep to your budget even with grocery prices increasing?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting my blog and commenting. Your comments are much appreciated. Please comment in English. No Anonymous comments, please. And no links to other websites, especially advertising products. Thank you.