I am joining blog friend Joy at Forty Three The Final Front Door with July's Ten on the Tenth, posting ten photos taken on the 10th of the month.
 |
| Traps Set Out for the Garden Cats |
We set out traps for the stray/feral garden cats the night before to try and catch a mama cat and her three kittens to get them spayed and neutered. We managed to trap the mama cat, but, the kittens were too wary to come close to the traps! We will try to trap them, later.
 |
| At the Vet's Clinic |
I accompanied my daughter to the vet's clinic where they performed the neutering. We had an appointment at 7:00 a.m. I stayed in the car while daughter took the mama cat in.
 |
| Daughter Standing in Line at the Car Park |
Although we got to the clinic before they opened at 7:00 a.m. to accept the day's spay and neuter cats, there was already a line of people with their trapped cats in the parking lot, behind the clinic.
Later, we went back to collect the mama cat after her surgery and brought her home. She will be released back into the garden once she's recovered from her surgery.
 |
| The Brass Bell Back on my Bedside Table |
I've written about this bell in a previous post, too. My mother obtained it when she was in Hong Kong and brought it with her. It is usually kept on the shelf where the altar is set up. But, when my daughter was little and home from school due to an illness, my mother would keep the bell near my daughter so she could ring it if she needed Grandmother for anything. When I was recovering from my lumpectomy, my daughter kept the bell by my bedside if I needed to call her for anything. This past week, as I lay on the bed recovering from my latest sciatica flare up, daughter fetched it from the altar shelf and kept it on my bedside table, to ring if I needed her. It is still on my bedside table.
 |
| Groceries |
We put in an order for groceries and they were delivered today.
 |
| Craft Supplies/Glue and Glue Sticks |
Along with some craft supplies (glue sticks and glue), since the store was having a "back to school" sale.
 |
| A Trio of Library Books |
I spent part of my afternoon reading one of my library books, with the fan on as the temperature reached 88F today.
 |
| Keeping Cool |
 |
| Deinner: Hot Pocket and Cucumber Salad |
We very rarely buy hot pockets, but, they were on sale and daughter suggested getting some with our grocery order for a quick, easy to prepare meal. She baked them in the air fryer and we had them with cucumber salad.
 |
| Dessert |
We had ice cream bars for dessert.
And there you go - ten photos taken on the 10th of July.
Thank you, Joy, for starting the Ten on the Tenth photo challenge.
Very nice assortment of photos for this challenge.
ReplyDeleteI like the simplicity of the single hot pocket on the white plate along with the separate bowl of a few cucumber slices.
I must've missed the story about you trying to trap the cat and her kittens. I don't recall there being any kittens! lol
For a second I thought maybe you were going to try and re-home (with you inside) the mama cat as your new cat. But I see that is not the plan.
You've done a good thing arranging for and having her spayed.
Thank you, Debra.
DeleteThe hot pocket, baked in the air fryer was, actually, quite good! Surprisingly so.
You didn't miss anything; I didn't write about the kittens! And the credit for arranging for the mama cat getting spayed goes to daughter who did all the work. I don't know how many emails she sent out to various cat rescue groups until she finally found one that was willing to help. Mama cat is feral, although she has become friendlier; she still hisses and won't let you touch her. The kittens are just as feral as she and we are not yet ready to have another indoor cat.
I'm assuming your daughter brought the air fryer with her because I don't believe you had one. How are you liking it?
DeleteI always find myself thinking about getting one. But then I think do I really need another appliance. Still, they seem to offer a good way of cooking food that is unique to it. Have you done potatoes in it?
Yes, you assume correctly. My daughter brought her air fryer with her and I do like it. It is a rather basic one with dials to set the temperature and time, but, it works well enough for us. So far, I've only used it to cook frozen foods (breaded shrimp and the hot pockets, for example) and crisp up leftover fish cutlets, French fries, etc., but, I like it. My daughter says you can make potatoes in it, but, we haven't tried, yet.
DeleteThanks for joining in, you certainly had a busy day!
ReplyDeleteMy pleasure, Joy. I am really enjoying this. :)
DeleteYou are doing a great service to the community by getting the garden cats fixed. Hopefully, you can catch the kittens without too much more trouble.
ReplyDeleteThank you, June. We are planning to try trapping the kittens a bit later. The lady who brought us the traps are going to leave two of them with us and hopefully, we'll have more success, the next time.
DeleteA good selection of photos for the 10th, Bless.
ReplyDeleteIs that a free service to spay and neuter the cats, or is it something you have to pay for?
Snap! We reached the same temperature yesterday and today ... it's unbearable and I'm sitting in front of the fan, with a cooler fan around my neck, and not doing very much at all. We're supposed to have another week of these high temperatures, which I'm not looking forward to at all.
Have you given up the plan to keep chickens or have I missed a post about that? xx
Thank you, Eileen.
DeleteDaughter was able to find a free service for the spaying and neutering through a cat rescue group. They apparently receive funding from the City or the County (I'm not quite sure which) in terms of vouchers which various participating vet clinics will accept. Daughter and I have decided that we will make a donation to the cat rescue group for their help.
You are having some unusually hot weather over there, aren't you? Hope you are able to keep cool during the heat wave.
We are still planning to keep chickens! Daughter had a little delay in putting up the coop and enclosure due to a sprained thumb, and she has decided to get "hen pecked" chickens whose feathers have been damaged by other, more dominant chickens, but, the order has been placed! We are anticipating delivery in the next week or two. I was waiting to post about it until we actually get them. :)
I like the idea of summing up the 10th of the month with 10 photos covering the day's activities. Bringing out the bell is a good idea while you have been resting in bed. I wonder if the kittens will come to inspect mama cat while she recovers in her cage?
ReplyDeleteThank you, Bushlady. I'm enjoying the 10 on the 10th. :) I can see that little bell becoming a family heirloom of sorts, can't you?
DeleteOne of the kittens was brave enough to sit on top of one of the other traps, but, wouldn't go inside! Mama cat was released from the trap late last night and they've all been keeping away from the back steps, but, daughter said they came to eat in the evening, today.
Dessert looks delicious! It's incredibly warm here, just now, so I have my own fan on, this evening. X
ReplyDeleteDessert was wonderful. :) I hope you are able to keep cool with your fan, Jules, and the heat wave breaks, soon..
DeleteIce cream bars are great, especially in the heat! Keeping cool is essential! I like the best friends vet sign!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Linda. I always say that ice cream becomes a necessity once the temperatures climb up (I don't have central air in my house and I haven't put up the window a/c unit, yet).
DeleteWell done for catching Mama cat! That ice-cream bar looks very cooling! I like the look of that Foraging book! Is that Sumac on the front cover?
ReplyDeleteThank you, Kezzie. Yes, that is sumac on the front cover of the foraging book. :)
DeleteI too was thinking what a great service to try and solve the problem of strays... I thought perhaps the council had an agreement with a vet one day per month (or something) to neuter them. Well, pity I was wrong but good your daughter found somewhere to help. It's a shame the kittens were too timid/clever(!) to be trapped but there is still time - and you've found a friend in the charity lady!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Lady Ella. We've kept the traps (open and unbaited) out on the steps for the kittens to get used to them. The next step will be to keep them open, but, with food inside, so they get used to going inside to eat. Then, once they are used to that, we need to make an appointment with the vet clinic and trap them. The hard part will be to catch only the kittens and not the mama cat!
Delete