![]() |
| Bridal Shower Card |
The second week of August has been a rather busy one for me.
When I posted my August Week 1 review, I mentioned that I was posting it on Sunday afternoon and my plan for the rest of the day included accompanying my daughter when she went to her gymnastics session. I did accompany her and it was a very good thing that I did because, apparently, she landed awkwardly on her final flip, rolling her right foot under her and hurting her small toe. It's the same foot that she sprained, earlier. As a result, she was unable to drive her car home so, since I had accompanied her, I drove us home. She thinks she might have sprained her toe. That was Sunday, August 9.
On Monday, August 10, I had a dental appointment to fix a broken tooth and get it ready for a crown. I was fitted with a temporary crown and was given an appointment for the end of the month, to return for the permanent crown and more work on the adjoining tooth. My daughter went with me for moral support more than anything else. The dental procedure took a little over two hours and I was told that the next appointment would also take about as long.
It was my aunt C's birthday on Monday. I sent her a message through her daughter, my cousin N, as Aunt C is no longer able to speak on the phone or do anything much due to her advanced stage of Alzheimer's.
Daughter made a card to send to Aunt C:
![]() |
| Birthday Card |
![]() |
| It opens up to reveal... |
On Tuesday, August 11, I rested and recovered from my dental work. My daughter was kind enough to water the garden for me, but, afterwards, she needed to ice her foot.
On Wednesday, August 12, I continued to recover from the dental work and tried to figure out what I wanted to do about a border from my hexagon quilt. Thank you to everyone who commented on it and offered suggestions.
On Thursday, August 13, I had a follow-up appointment with the dermatologist. My skin irritations have cleared up and we decided that I don't need any further follow-up visits. Earlier in the day, I spent about 30 minutes tidying up in the garden. Then, I picked some kale and cooked it, stir-frying it with spices.
Around 5:30 p.m., my daughter received a phone call from her friend A (my late friend A's younger daughter) who is engaged to get married in approximately six weeks. A wanted to know if we would like to taste test wedding cake samples to help her choose the cake. Of course we said we'd love to help! She said she'd bring the samples and come around 7:45 p.m. About 10 minutes before she arrived, she asked if it would be okay if her fiance came over, too, and we said yes. My daughter quickly tidied the house a bit and, although not a word was said about dinner, I cooked a pot of rice and warmed up some curries. I was very happy that I had packages of chicken curry and moringa curry in the freezer and that I had picked and cooked the kale earlier in the day! We had rice, chicken curry, sauteed kale, moringa curry, and peach chutney for dinner, and samples of five different types of cakes (there were two mini cupcakes of each different flavor) to taste test for dessert! All the cakes tasted good to me, but, we all agreed that one particular cake (lemon and raspberry) was better than the others.
Later in the evening, daughter managed to stub the same toe she hurt during gymnastics, so she was back to square one where that toe was concerned!
On Friday, August 14, I had an appointment with the oncology nurse practitioner. My appointment was at 1:00 p.m., but, I left the house 10 minutes before 12 noon to allow time for traffic congestions on the freeway. I arrived at the clinic by 12:45 p.m. I was called in and weighed, my pressure checked, etc. around 1:30 p.m. Then, I had to wait until an examination room was available, which didn't happen until 3:00 p.m.! Then, there was another 15 minutes or so until the nurse practitioner actually came in to exam me (with a trainee accompanying her; with my consent, I was examined twice!) It was 3:30 p.m. by the time I left the clinic and 4:30 p.m. when I got home!
I hadn't eaten all day (although I had a granola bar with me), so, as soon as I got home, I had half a bottle of a protein drink and then, I drove my daughter to the post office so she could mail a work-related package.
On our way back from the post office, daughter suggested stopping by our favorite Chinese restaurant; I reminded her that we had food at home, but, she said she wanted to treat me, so, we picked up some Chinese food for a late lunch/dinner.
Later in the evening, gardener friend M returned from his week of vacation and tended to the garden. He brought us a pomegranate from his garden, which was very nice of him.
On Saturday, August 15, friend R came over in the afternoon to pick up some packages that had arrived for her. She brought us some stringhoppers and snacks and had tea with us. We gave her some eggs and curry leaves to take back with her.
Also on Saturday, I made the card shown above.
On Sunday, August 16, we attended A's bridal shower. It was at 11:00 a.m. and went on till just after 2:30 p.m. After we got home, I took a long nap as I was tired.
August Decluttering - Week 2: In the second week of August, I decluttered 3 glass bottles/jars and 2 plastic containers that I had been reusing to store items in the kitchen, 2 blouses (daughter took one of them), 2 stems of silk flowers, and some dried up glue sticks and other crafts supplies (counting those as 1 item), for a total of 10 items, which brings my monthly total up to 36 items..
In the first week of August, I was grateful for:
- Access to dental care
- Access to medical care
- Having medical insurance
- My daughter treating us to Chinese food
- M's help with the garden
- Garden fresh eggs (the chickens are making sure we are not lacking for eggs!)
The week ahead is a slower one. I have no medical appointments, although I need to schedule a bone density test. We have one visit scheduled for Monday evening to visit one of daughter's friends, but, other than that, it should be a relaxed week and I should be able to catch up on my blog reading.
How was your week? What are your plans for August Week 3?




You've had some busy days! The cards are both lovely and I'm sure appreciated. I need friends who come by with cake for me to try :) I do hate being made to wait long at the doctor, although I'm grateful also for access to medical care. Today I went to an exercise class I'd not taken before. I am so out of shape! Now I'm resting on my bed! I'm sorry your daughter hurt her toe. That can be very painful.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Celie. I am not accustomed to so much activity in one week! I'm glad you are resting after your exercise class. Take it easy and build up your stamina. :)
Delete