Saturday, August 29, 2026

August Groceries - Part 4

Groceries - August 29, 2026

I ordered groceries on Friday to be delivered today (Saturday).  Once again, I chose to order from the second chain of stores (store F) owned by the same parent company which owns store R. since the paid store membership seems to work for both stores.  The deciding factor was the price of the items I wanted to buy.  Store F had the same or lower prices, with the price differences ranging from $0.30 for the bottle of oil to $1.20 for the can of corned beef, and I'm all for saving a dollar or two when I can!  Especially when I am either replenishing my pantry stock or building up my stock. 

We had finished the bananas and the watermelon (and cantaloupe, too) that I had bought earlier, and was coming to the end of the loaf of bread.  Daughter asked for another watermelon if it was still on sale (it was) and I decided to get more bananas and another loaf of bread.

Boxed cake and brownie mixes were on sale with digital coupons at my stocking up price of $0.99@ at both stores.  Since I had just one boxed brownie mix left in my pantry cupboard, I decided to buy the maximum of five.  I know all the arguments against boxed cake mixes, but, they come in handy when I need a quick and easy dessert.

Ice cream was also on sale for $1.99@ with digital coupons and we had finished the last pint of ice cream earlier in the week.  With the temperatures being over 100F and another dental procedure scheduled for next Monday, I decided that ice cream was a necessary item!  LOL.  

The other items were all regular priced.  I had just opened the last bottle of oil I had in the cupboard (purched in April 2026) and I decided to replenish my stock with another bottle of oil sooner (at today's price) rather than later (when the price might be higher).  The same with the coconut milk - I had used two cans earlier in the week when I cooked some curries, and I will be using another one next Tuesday when I make milkrice on the 1st of the month; so I'm replenishing my stock.  Ditto the condensed milk.  As for the can of corned beef, it doubles my stock of corned beef!  I would like to get two more cans of corned beef so I could eat one (corned beef sandwiches or sauteed with onions and tomato and served with rice) and still have three cans in stock.  

Here's the receipt (with price comparisons, when there was a price difference, with store R in blue):

Order Summary

Original Item Total$60.03
Item Coupons/Sales-$9.20
Order Coupons-$4.00
Fulfillment Fee+$0.00
Other Fees+$0.60
Sales Tax$0.00
Order Total$47.43

Item Details

22 Items

Betty Crocker™ Favorites Fudge Brownie Mix, 16.3 oz$1.98
2 x $0.99 $2.19 each
Betty Crocker™ Favorites Super Moist Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix, 13.25 oz$0.99
1 x $0.99 $2.19 each
Betty Crocker™ Favorites Super Moist Yellow Cake Mix, 13.25 oz$1.98
2 x $0.99 $2.19 each
Fresh Bunch of Bananas – 5-7 Bananas, 1 bunch$1.83
2.65 lbs x $0.69 each (approx.)
Kroger® 100% Pure Vegetable Oil, 48 fl oz$4.19
1 x $4.19 each  ($4.49 at Store R)
Kroger® Half and Half Half Gallon, 1/2 gal$4.99
1 x $4.99 each ($5.49)
Kroger® Premium Coconut Milk, 13.5 fl oz$4.17
3 x $1.39 each ($1.99@)
Kroger® Sweetened Condensed Milk, 14 oz$14.94
6 x $2.49 each ($3.29@)
Kroger® White Sandwich Bread, 20 oz$1.99
1 x $1.99 each
Libby's Corned Beef Canned Meat, 12 oz$7.29
1 x $7.29 each ($8.49)
Mini Seedless Whole Watermelon, 1 ct$2.50
1 x $2.50 each ($4.99)
Private Selection® Double Vanilla Ice Cream Pint, 16 oz$3.98
2 x $1.99 $3.59 each

Order Coupons

-$4.00

Store Coupon-$4.00

Other Fees

$0.60

Bag Fee$0.60
6 x $0.10 each


My total came to $47.43 

August grocery budget (for food, only) is $250 plus $8.95 carried over from July = $258.95

My August Grocery spending to date:
$0.52 + $45.51 + $75.33 + $40.18 + $47.43 = $208.97

Balance left in the August Grocery budget = $258.95 - $208.97 = $49.98

Which meant that I had almost $50 left in the budget to stock up a bit more!  I gave some serious consideration and decided to spend it all on daughter's favorite coffee, which is still on sale this week, too, for $9.99@ with the purchase of three or more in one transaction at store R (not on sale at store F)!  I had enough points to apply $1 towards the purchase price, which brought down my total to $48.95.  I placed the order this afternoon and the coffee should be delivered tomorrow (Sunday).  I am going to consider that purchase as part of this grocery shopping order, although I haven't received the coffee, yet.  Once the coffee does arrive, then, daughter will be stocked up with enough coffee for a good long time and, any future purchases will be to replenish what has been used.

Spent to date: $208.97 + $48.95 = $257.92

Balance left in the August Grocery Budger = $1.03

I am very pleased with how this month's grocery spending worked out!  

September's grocery budget will be $250 (plus $1.03 carried over!)

I am grateful for:

- Being able to order groceries from both stores to take full advantage of offers and membership benefits
- Having groceries delivered free of charge (with minimum qualifying purchase amounts)
- The availability of groceries
- Being able to stock up while still keeping to my budget
- The blessing of a pantry

How are you coming along with your August grocery shopping?  Do you have a monthly budget?  Are you able to keep to your budget?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting my blog and commenting. Your comments are much appreciated. Please comment in English. No Anonymous comments, please. And no links to other websites, especially advertising products. Thank you.