The second phone call I received this morning was from a friend, informing me that a mutual friend was in the hospital (ICU), after a stroke! I would have liked to have gone to see her, today, but, I was unable to do so. I plan to visit her tomorrow morning.
I went grocery shopping at the Armenian store, later in the morning. I bought almost all the fresh produce I needed for the almsgiving - scallions and snowpea pods for the ricesticks dish; cucumber, tomatoes, and red onions for the salad; kale for the mallung; yogurt; papaya, apples, and fuyu persimmons for fruit; and two cans of condensed milk. My total came to $15.60. I wanted to buy a packet of shredded carrots, but, they didn't have them, and I still need to buy some regular milk, as well.
I came home and ate a sandwich for brunch (I had eaten a banana, earlier, before I went shopping). Then, it was time to go to my appointment with the podiatrist. I had to go downtown and it rained all the way there! The freeway was practically at a standstill and it took me longer to drive to the appointment than I had anticipated. I was so afraid I would be late, but, I got there right on time at 2:30 p.m. It was a new podiatrist and he said everything was fine, but, my feet were very dry and recommended I applied lots of lotion. I am to see him, again, in February.
The drive home was bumper to bumper, but, at least, the rain had ceased.
M was already here, tending to the garden, when I got home, a little after 4:30 p.m. I made us some tea and we chatted for a bit. Then, he helped me rearrange the furniture and take down the almsgiving dishes. After he left, I washed the dishes and vacuumed. Then, did a load of laundry (kitchen and bathroom rugs, Dancer's towels, etc.)
Remember the almsgiving preparations list I posted earlier? Here's an update:
- Set the date/invite the monks/invite the participants - DONE
- Confirm the date with the monks - DONE
- Call and remind the invitees - DONE
- Make a tentative menu - DONE
- Shop for non-perishable groceries - DONE
- Cook and freeze the cashew curry - DONE
- Cook and freeze the garbanzo beans - DONE
- Cook and freeze the dhal - DONE
- Check supplies (non-grocery)/shop for items needed - DONE
- Go to the bank/Get donations ready - DONE
- Make the grocery shopping list - DONE
- Grocery shop for perishables - DONE
- Clean the house - dust, vacuum, bathrooms - MOSTLY DONE (need to mop my bathroom)
- Rearrange furniture to set up the seating area in the living room (M will help on Friday) - DONE
- Take down dishes used only for almsgiving and wash them - DONE
- Set out candles/incense sticks & holder; lighter/matches - DONE
- Set out items needed for the transfer of merit: teapot, cup, and water basin; fill teapot with water - DONE
- Set out new bottle of water for blessing; bowl to catch drips when blessed water is poured out - DONE
Saturday, Dec. 7 To Do List:
- Visit friend T in ICU
- Pharmacy for medication refill
- Any last minute grocery shopping (shredded carrots and milk)
- Clean out fridge
- Put out frozen items to thaw
- Pick up friend R
- Mop my bathroom
Today, I am grateful for:
- Dancer's blood tests, etc. were mostly normal
- Safe drive to downtown and back
- Podiatrist visit went well
- M's help
- All what I was able to accomplish
How was your Friday? What are your plans for Saturday?