Saturday, February 11, 2017

Casual Friday

I didn't take a picture of my outfit, this morning, but it being Friday, I dressed rather casually - the pair of black pants paired with a grey-green sweater.  A black cardigan over that and a black jacket, as well.  And since it looked a bit drab, I wore a necklace of multi-colored beads. 

When I called my supervisor to let her know I was coming in (but a little later than my regular starting time), she asked me if I was sure I wanted to come in, saying it fine with her if I wanted to work from home.  But I insisted I was well enough to come to the office.  I took sandwiches for my brunch, grapes and crackers for snacks.  Dinner was leftovers.

It rained a bit on the drive to the office, but traffic was fairly light, since it was Friday and since the morning rush hour was over.  I had a good day at the office, but after working at home, where it is relatively quiet, I am finding the background noise in the office to be fairly distracting - phones ringing, people talking, people playing back their voice mail messages on speaker phone, etc.  I know I'll get used to it, again, given time.

It was raining when I left the office in the evening and the commute home took over 1 1/2 hours!  Bumper to bumper traffic, but at least, no accidents.  Came home, returned my cousin's phone call, called a friend, had a cup of hot cocoa, and took a nap!  Later, video chatted with my daughter.

I didn't finish my To Do List, so I'll carry it forward to Saturday. 

On Friday, I was grateful for:
- More rain for the garden
- Safe drives to the office and back
- Feeling well enough to go to the office
- Naps on the sofa
- Family and friends

How was your Friday?  What have you planned for the weekend?


  1. Ugh, an hour and a half commute in the rain and in back to back traffic, at the end of the day, must have been exhausting! I'm glad you made it home OK. There were lots of accidents yesterday here too, although it didn't rain, I don't know what the deal was, but every time I went out, I had to go around one. So I was relieved when my daughter texted me that she had gotten to her dad's, who lives on the other side of Orlando, safely.

    Could you perhaps use headphones at work and maybe listen to music on your phone or a small CD player? All that noise would distract me too. How annoying that the co-workers play their voicemails on speaker phone? There are no manners anymore, everyone does whatever pleases them without any regard for the people around them. While walking on the trails this past week, I can't tell you how many people had radios on their bikes or just holding their phones while they were walking and playing music outloud without any earphones! I find this SO annoying. I'm out there, trying to enjoy nature and listening for birds and relaxing, and then I'm subjected to someone's blaring music. Sometimes I dream of becoming one of those superhero vigilantes, you know? Make myself a costume and mask and go trip all the people who are inconsiderate :)

    We don't have plans for the weekend, although I'd like to go visit a new-to-us state park and get some walking done. Greg slightly hurt his back playing squash for the first time yesterday so I'm waiting for him to get up and see how badly he feels. The weather is going to be in the low 80s through the weekend so we really should be out and enjoying it before the Florida heat and humidity comes back! I also have a library book that's due in 4 or 5 days that I haven't even cracked open yet so I ought to be reading.

    Have a great weekend, Bless!

    1. Oh, I hope Greg didn't hurt his back too badly and that he's feeling better, today. Hope he'll be well enough to go walking with you.

      Yes, I am considering a pair of headphones for the office. My only concern is, I sit at an angle from the entrance to my cubicle and, as it is, it is hard for me to know when someone comes to talk to me; if I have headphones on, I might not hear anyone, at all!

      I used to be able to block off noise without any trouble, earlier, but I've got too used to the quiet of my home, I suppose. Also, the person playing back her voicemail on speaker phone is a new office mate. I know her from before, when I used to sit in the cubicle next to her, but then, I moved to a new area and now, she's moved to my area of the office. She's a nice person, and I suppose she listens on the speaker phone because she's busy doing something else. I'm sure I'll eventually get used to the noise.

      The long drive home was tiring. I've been listening to the news on the national public radio on my drive home, as I tend to be a bit of a news junkie and these days, there's a lot of news to keep up with, but maybe it's time to go back to listening to a CD of music! I tend to sing along to the songs and then, the drive becomes a time to relax. :)

      Enjoy your weekend, Nathalie, and once again, congrats. to your daughter!

  2. I have just began reading your blog. It is interesting and I am glad your health has improved. You are blessed with a good supervisor who allows you to work from home.

    Are you in Northern CA?


    1. Hi Sandy, welcome to my blog! It's an account of my days, at this point. I am in Southern CA, where we've received more rain so far, this winter, than we normally get in a whole year! My daughter, however, is in Northern CA (and they are getting plenty of rain, too!)

      Thank you for commenting and I hope to hear from you, again. Hope you have a lovely weekend.

  3. Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne. I feel I need to make the effort, if you know what I mean. The mornings are a little hard, still - I want to sleep in, I am slow (and don't want to rush around as I used to), etc. But, once I am up and I have got dressed, etc., I am fine. And once I am in the office, I feel OK until about 5:00 p.m. I've got used to having my cup of tea at 5:00 p.m. I might have to take some tea bags, sugar, and milk and keep at the office!

  4. I LOVE how supportive your boss is!!! We need more like that! I have been on medical leave for not quite a week and emailed my bozz the doc note to see if I needed to do anything reply....NOT a word from anyone except a friend whom I work with. karma <3

    1. Joy, I am sorry to hear that you have had to take medical leave; I hope it isn't anything serious and that you'll feel better, soon. Glad you went to see the doctor. I'm sure your boss appreciates you sending in the doctor's note. At least you did your bit.

      I am very blessed when it comes to my immediate supervisor and others in the chain of command. Everyone has been very kind and accommodating.


Thank you for visiting my blog and commenting. Your comments are much appreciated. Please comment in English. Thank you.