Saturday, May 6, 2017

Back On-line on Friday

Today was a cooler day (77F) than yesterday (93F).  I made sure to unlock the gate to my backyard by 9:00 a.m., so the telephone repair crew could have access to the backyard, but they didn't arrive till almost noon.  But they restored my internet and TV connection and I remembered to check that everything worked before they actually left! 

Then, I went to the pharmacy, thinking they had one of my prescriptions ready, because I received a text saying I had a medication ready for pick up.  Except, I didn't realize it was a delayed text from yesterday and I had already picked up the prescription (my antibiotics).  Oops!  I, then, inquired about the status of a medication I have been waiting on, and the pharmacy claimed they haven't received authorization from the clinic. 

I stopped at the grocery store to pick up a few groceries (I'll do a separate post on that), then, came home and spent a good part of the afternoon going back and forth with the clinic about this one blood pressure medication, I've been trying to get refilled!  The pharmacy has an automatic refill system, where medications are refilled automatically, without you needing to call them in.   I used to keep track of the dates and call in, as needed, but signed up for the automatic refill when I fell ill as it was supposed to be easier.  Except, sometimes, the pharmacy didn't refill some of them, automatically!  I don't know why and the pharmacy personnel don't know why, either.  This medication was one of them.

There was supposed to be one refill left before the authorization expired in April.  When it wasn't refilled automatically, I called it in on the weekend and was told the authorization had expired.  Then, the helpful, computer-generated program/voice asked if I wanted the pharmacy to contact the medical provider to request a new authorization and I said yes and was assured that they will contact the provider and it should be ready for pick up on Wednesday.  When it wasn't ready on Wednesday, I called the clinic and the person who answered the phone asked me to hold while she checked and then, said they received the fax from the pharmacy on Tuesday and it usually takes them a couple of days to fill it.

Well, a couple of days from Wednesday is Friday, right?  So, when the pharmacy claimed they hadn't received anything from the clinic, I called the clinic, only to be told they haven't received anything from the pharmacy!  There followed several phone calls, back and forth!  I was told I'd have to get an appointment to see the health care provider.  I said, fine, when is the earliest I can see her?  Then, they hemmed and hawed, and asked for the pharmacy phone number and said they'll call the pharmacy and call me back.  I waited, but didn't get a call back.  When I called at 5:25 p.m., no body answered; I guess they had closed for the day.

I am hoping that they called in the authorization and the pharmacy will fill it over the weekend.  If not, I will call again, on Monday!  I really could do without all this aggravation while I am dealing with a toothache!  Sigh.  

Later, in the evening, my gardener friend came over to do the garden and I had him trim all the guava tree branches that were going over the wall into the neighbor's property.  Many of them were singed from the fire, but the trees are OK and will recover from the pruning.

I called my neighbor T to check on her and she has her phone service restored and seems to have recovered from yesterday's events.

Today, I am grateful for:
- Internet service was restored!
- I am able to go on-line again!
- A cooler day
- The newly transplanted zucchini plants seem to be doing OK
- Cloves, which seem to be working even better than the Tylenol!

During these past couple of days without internet, I spent a lot of time reading and finished reading two of my library books:

Breaking Bread: Recipes and Stories from Immigrant Kitchens

One titled, "Breaking Bread: Recipes and Stories from Immigrant Kitchens" by Lynne Christy Anderson. 

The other:

The Zookeeper's Wife
Titled, "The Zookeeper's Wife: A War Story" by Diane Ackerman.

I have two other library books that are partially read.

How was your Friday?  What would you do if you didn't have access to the internet for a couple of days? 


  1. I know exactly what you meant about the prescription refills. I've had the same problems, but thankfully not very often. It's very aggrevating. You're not going without blood pressure meds are you? Sometimes the doctor has samples they can give you to fill in.

    1. I am going without this particular medication for now, Live and Learn, and monitoring my blood pressure. Fortunately, my pressure had dropped to low enough levels, earlier, that a rise in 10 points or so doesn't make that much of a difference. If I am still without medication on Monday, I will call the clinic again and complain.

      I am also going to transfer my pharmacy back to the one near my office, again. The pharmacist at that pharmacy is very diligent and pro-active and has become a friend over the years, as well. I transferred my files to this pharmacy near my house only when I was undergoing treatments and it was more convenient to pick up the medications without having to go to downtown for them. I know they try their best, but they have messed up my medications a little too often.

  2. Glad to hear you're back on-line again Bless. If I had no internet for a couple of days I'd be quite happy reading or knitting and I'm sure I'd get a lot more housework done! I love coming on to catch up with everybody but my problem is I then stay on mooching around and basically wasting time. Then I wonder where the day has gone! xx

    1. Yes, it can be a drain on ones time, but it's lovely to be connected to the world, again! :D

  3. Sorry to hear about the mix up at the pharmacy. It seems that it was their error with not renewing the Rx before it expired. I think I would make a bit of a fuss if it is not ready on Monday.

    Friday was a warm sunny windy day which was so welcome after all the rain. I picked up all the small branches that had come down in the garden, got a load of laundry out on the line and did some ironing!

    No internet, like you read, perhaps play solitaire, other board games.

    Hope you are feeling better.


    1. Yes, this particular branch of the pharmacy is not doing its job too well, in my opinion. I know the staff is trying their best, but they are probably understaffed. Probably my fault, too, for not keeping better track of when medications are coming due and double checking with them! I'm planning to move my files back to the pharmacy near my office - I have more confidence in the pharmacist at that location!

      Sounds like you have a very productive day, Friday. Glad to hear that the rain has stopped. Hope you have a lovely weekend.

  4. I have been without television or internet before (for instance, when I have been away out of the country), but it seems to take weeks to get back to "being all caught up" once I've come back. It zaps the energy right out of me. I feel obliged to get caught up and back to normal. When I am away from home is the only time I get some book reading done. I guess that on-line reading is the only reading I do in the course of a day.

    Anyways, it is a very interesting question. I think I have a love/hate relationship with the internet. Glad you are plugged in again. LOL.

    1. I grew up without TV; even now, I don't watch a lot of TV. Days can go by without me turning it on. Before internet, however, I used to watch news on TV on a daily basis, but now, I catch up on the news on-line. I didn't have internet at home until my daughter was in middle school. She needed it for homework assignments and going to the library on a daily basis to use the internet there wasn't convenient because my mother needed me at home in the evenings. But now, I've got so used to having internet access, it feels weird when I am without it!

  5. Hi Bless. How frustrating about the back and forth between the pharmacy and the clinic. I have had to deal with that before too and it irritates me to no end. I hope it is all straightened out for you by Monday.

    Yesterday Jeff and I went "treasure hunting" at the apartment complexes where college students are moving out. There are some areas that we always find good things at. We found a few things but will try again Sunday when more of the students have left even more goodies for us curbside shoppers. ;)

    1. Yes, it's frustrating that the clinic and pharmacy can't get their act together! Surely, in this day and age of phones and computers, they can make sure that the patients receive the medications they need?

      Ooh, curbside shoppping! My favorite way to shop! LOL. That's how we furnished our first apartment when we moved to So. Cal.! I still have a small wooden side table that I picked up back then!

      It's sad that it costs more to move and/or store things, but that is the reality. Daughter and I have discussed what to do with her furniture and such if/when she moves back down here. She will probably donate most of it, if possible.

  6. OH Bless, I am so sorry that you are having so much trouble getting your med filled. I have a mail order pharmacy and the regular pharmacy I use.. I run into these problems all the time.It is so frustrating. No one will take responsibility and get it done..eeeh..
    I am waiting on a doctors appointment with gastro doctor [have been sick for awhile]. My doctor said they would make appointment this past Monday.. But, still know one has got it done. I have stayed on the phone for days..
    Your garden sounds like it is doing good. Happy. Hubby has been working in ours all week [ I havent been much help/sick]
    NO internet is rough.. However, when it happens to me, I seem to get a lot more

    1. Judy, so sorry to hear you've been sick. Hope you get your appointment soon and get the treatments you need for a quick recovery. Take it easy in the meantime. (((HUGS)))

  7. Oh my goodness, what stress you've had these past few days! I'm so glad you're OK and your neighbors are safe and sound (despite the destroyed garage, was there damage to the rest of their house? Can they still stay in the house?). I figured your toothache was bothering you too much to blog.

    Good for you to change pharmacies, that continued mess is unacceptable!

    I hope your weekend is going better, Bless!

    1. Nathalie, the fire appears to have scorched the back of the main house, mainly because they had built structures that had connected their detached garage to the house itself (when I built my family room addition at the back of my house, I was required to keep a 10-foot clearance between the nearest corner of the garage and the house, just for such fire safety precautions). I don't think anyone is living there right now, although I see people coming and going during the day. I think they don't have electricity - I heard a generator being used that first evening, and since then, the house has been in darkness in the evenings.

      Yes, the weekend is going better, thank you. :) Hope all is well with you, too.

  8. When we lose the internet, DH goes into withdrawal and I'm only marginally better. But the last two times we have gone away for one overnight, I have left my laptop at home and had a break from the internet.
    We use the internet every evening for Netflix, and last night we watched an episode in the series "Departures", in which two young men travel to many places in the world that the average tourist doesn't get to. In the episode we watched on Friday they were in Siberia in the coldest place on earth. Yesterday we saw them in Sri Lanka. What a beautiful island! I thought of you, especially when they were sampling some curry. They visited the Sigiriya rock fortress, and hiked up Adam's Peak to see the sunrise. There were some lovely scenes with wild elephants, and also scenes of a very colourful festival in which elephants were beautifully adorned in brilliant cloth outfits. It all looked much more appealing than frozen Siberia!

    1. Bushlady, I didn't realize just how much time I spend on the computer, until the internet went down! LOL. I am glad I had my library books to read! Although, I suppose, I would have done some sewing or other crafts, if I didn't read.

      That sounds like a very interesting program you are watching! Yes, I think I, too, would prefer Sri Lanka to Siberia! I have been to the Sigiriya rock fortress and climbed to the top with my mother (my stepfather chose to wait by the lion's paws entrance as he didn't like heights!) The frescos painted on the walls there are cultural icons. Adam's Peak is the sacred mountain I referred to when you mentioned my cancer treatment is like climbing a mountain. It is the one place I haven't visited that I have wanted to visit. The festival with the dressed up elephants would have been the Kandy "perahara", which is a cultural and religious pageant. When I was a child, that was a highlight of the year.

  9. I'm seeing a definite pattern emerging, regarding the communication between the doctor and the chemist. You would think these things would be better streamlined, but even here it is often a similar tale!

    I wonder what you thought of The Zookeeper's Wife (I know it is a while since you read it, now!)

    1. I've had a lot of issues with this particular pharmacy getting my medications filled on time! Earlier, when I used the pharmacy near my office (where I made friends with the pharmacist), service was much better. It, too, belonged to the same pharmacy group, but, it was a smaller pharmacy and the pharmacist kept on top of things. The current pharmacy is bigger, with more people working there, but, busier! They do try their best, however, and I am grateful.

      I recall enjoying reading the book and marveling, again, at what people went through and did during that time period. I haven't watched the movie, though.


Thank you for visiting my blog and commenting. Your comments are much appreciated. Please comment in English. Thank you.