Friday, October 9, 2026

October Grocery Shopping Part 2

October 9 Groceries
(only 1 of 10 gals. of water shown)

I ordered groceries on Thursday evening and they were delivered on Friday morning, by a nice young man who asked me to verify that all the items I ordered were there in the right quantities, which I was happy to do.

I wanted half and half for my daughter's coffee, bottled water for emergency preparedness, another dozen bottles of sparkling water, just a couple of items of fresh produce (bananas and a cucumber), another tray of chicken drumsticks (plan to cook the tray I have in the freezer for next week's meals and I like to have at least one tray of chicken in the freezer as a back up), and a couple of boxes of snack crackers.  Plus sugar and canned condensed milk since they were on a good stock up sale price and they are things I use all the time.

Here's the receipt (I've removed the UPC codes and added comments in blue):

Order Summary

Original Item Total$89.38
Item Coupons/Sales-$22.50
Fulfillment Fee+$0.00
Other Fees+$0.40
Sales Tax+$1.43
Order Total$68.71

Item Details

38 Items

CA Redem Val
$0.60
1 x $0.60 each (for the sparkling water)
CA Redem Val
$1.00
10 x $0.10 each (for the bottled water)
Cheez-It® Crackers Original, 12.4 oz
$2.49
1 x $2.49 $4.79 each (on sale with digital coupons)
Cheez-It® White Cheddar Cheese Crackers, 12.4 oz
$2.49
1 x $2.49 $4.79 each (on sale with digital coupons)
Cucumber, 1 ct
$0.59
1 x $0.59 $0.99 each ($0.40 "best customer" coupon)
Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk, 14 oz
$9.95
5 x $1.99 $4.49 each (approx.) (with digital coupon; stock up price!)
Fresh Bunch of Bananas – 5-7 Bananas, 1 bunch
$1.43
2.07 lbs x $0.69 each (approx.) (reg price; cheaper than at the Armenian store)
Kroger® Half and Half Half Gallon, 1/2 gal
$5.49
1 x $5.49 each
Kroger® Purified Drinking Gallon Water, 1 gallon
$13.90
10 x $1.39 each (approx.)
Smart Way™ Fresh Uncooked Chicken Drumsticks, 4.5 lb
$5.00
1 x $5.00 each
Smart Way™ Granulated Sugar, 4 lb
$9.95
5 x $1.99 $2.99 each (approx.) (with digital coupon, good stock up rice at $0.50/lb)
Sparkling Ice® Summer LTO Lemonade Variety Pack (Pack of 12), 12 ct / 17 fl oz
$13.99
1 x $13.99 each

Other Fees

$0.40

Bag Fee$0.40
4 x $0.10 each

Total:  $68.71

My October grocery budget is $250.

Spent to date:  $43.94 + $68.71 = $112.65

Balance left: $137.35

It's not a good idea to spend almost half your monthly grocery budget in the first week or so, but, I did some stocking up and emergency preparedness and I feel good about that.  I do recognize the fact that being able to stock up and prepare for emergencies is a blessing.  

As always, I am grateful for:

- The availability of groceries
- Being able to order online and have groceries delivered 
- Good sale prices and digital coupons
- Being able to stock up
- Receiving all the items I wanted at the right prices  and in the quantities I wanted

My joyful activity is putting away the emergency supply of water, knowing that I now have the minimum recommended stock of emergency water, if only for drinking, cooking, and brushing our teeth.  

4 comments:

  1. Wow, dear friend! You are great at keeping on budget!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda. I try to stay on budget for the most part. Every so often, I go over, but, then, I make up for it by deducting that amount from the following month's budget.

      Delete
  2. Are you also starting to stock up for when you host the monks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't started shopping specifically for the almsgiving, yet, June, but, I will be using some of the items I already have in the pantry for it. Rice, for example, and red lentils and cashews. .

      Delete

Thank you for visiting my blog and commenting. Your comments are much appreciated. Please comment in English. No Anonymous comments, please. And no links to other websites, especially advertising products. Thank you.