 |
| Grandmother's Flower Garden Quilt Top |
This is the quilt top that I have been sewing for several years, now.
I first posted about it over 11 years ago, here.
Then, an update the following year.
Plus, this post about a certain kitty "helping" me with the quilt - he was such a helpful kitty and we miss him so much!
I have finally finished sewing all the flowers, with three left over! I might use those leftover flowers to make cushions or, perhaps, on the back of the quilt.
Now I am wondering how to do the border. The pattern leaves scalloped edges, especially on the two long sides.
 |
| Top/Bottom Edges of Quilt Top |
 |
| One of the Side Edges |
Originally, I had planned to put half flowers in the bigger spaces to make it a straighter edge. Then, I thought I'll add a second row of solid green hexagons all around and consider that as the border and leave it scalloped. It would still be difficult to bind. But, I might need fewer hexagons to sew together. So, I started to cut out more green hexagons. I cut out 35 yesterday; I am going to need around 120 hexagons, give or take a few! At this rate, I will take at least the rest of the year to piece the top!
I also considered the option of sewing rectangles in different hues/shades of red and brown fabric to make "bricks" to edge the quilt, like a brick path around the flower garden. I do have a long enough piece of a solid red fabric to make a border, but, I don't have enough different hues/shades of red or brown fabric in the stash. There are fabrics with brick patterns for sale, but, that's cheating and they are not exactly inexpensive! I will not pay full price for any fabric I buy for a quilt.
I did consider a quicker alternative, where I'd sew the top down to a wide piece of fabric to make a straight edge and border, and tried out the idea with three different pieces of fabric from my stash:
 |
| Red and White Stripes |
I like this, I think it brightens the quilt top, but my daughter thinks it looks Christmas-y.
 |
| Bright Green |
My daughter likes this, but it is too much of green for me. I could, however, see it as a narrow border or binding for the quilt.
 |
| Lilac with Yellow-Centered White Flowers |
Daughter said the green and purple/lilac combination is very me! LOL. She also pointed out how the yellow centers of the flowers on the fabric match the yellow centers of the flowers of the quilt top.
I also looked at leaf patterned fabric, but, again, I am balking at paying full price, especially when I have all the fabric I bought when the fabric store was going out of business, at the end of 2024 and spring 2025.
 |
| Fabric Bought in December 2024 |
 |
Fabric Bought in March 2025 (Spot the red & white striped and the bright green fabric!) |
Which option would you choose for the border? Another row of green hexagons and leave it scalloped? Half flowers to fill in the scallops to make a straight edge and bind? Sew down the top to a wide piece of fabric from the stash to end with a stright edge? Splurge a bit and buy newleaf patterned or brick patterned fabric?
I absolutely love this quilt, it is beautiful! I also like the fabrics in your photos.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Linda. This quilt has taken longer than I had thought, but, I haven't worked on it consistently. I would, however, like to finish it this year!
DeleteMost of the time when I have seen quilts in this pattern, they leave the edges scalloped. However, if it were me, I would sew the top onto another fabric and finish with straight edges because it's a lot less complicated. I'm with you. I like the purple best.
ReplyDeleteThank you, June. I'm going to put a second row of solid olive green hexagons and see about making straight edges for easier binding. :)
DeleteThe quilt will be beautiful whatever you decide to do.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Anne. I would like to have it done and on my bed for this winter. :)
DeleteThe quilt is lovely. I agree about the Christmassy comment, also that green IS too bright. Do frustrating when you have all that fabric and none seems appropriate for the purpose!!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Angela. That is the one down side to buying fabric when it is on clearance, without a specific purpose other than "quilt backings and borders". Sometimes, the colors and patterns I have aren't exactly what I want for a particular project. But, I think it will work out, eventually. :)
DeleteIf I was making this I'd go for the half flowers to make a rectangle and then bind the quilt. I do like the red striped option though, so that would be my second choice. The quilt is lovely and shows off all your hard work xx
ReplyDeleteThank you, Eileen. I'm going to put a second row of the solid olive green hexagons and see how it turns out. I've a couple of other border ideas, including a picket fence. I just need to figure out just how much more work I want to put into it!
DeleteNot sure I'm much help on the border selection, but the colours in your quilt are lovely. It's so bright and cheery, a work of love and skill. Beautiful
ReplyDeleteThank you, Sharon. All the fabric used to make the flowers are leftovers from various other projects. :)
DeleteI'm glad I don't have this dilemma! For a narrow border you might echo some of the printed white hexagons in the flowers by using one of your white or off white prints, or you could go with yellow, as I see a fair amount of yellow popping up in the flowers.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Bushlady. A white or yellow border will brighten up the quilt nicely, wouldn't it?
DeleteYou have a gorgeous quilt! I think all of the choices for edging/filling the gaps would be very pretty. I would use the easiest! But I don't quilt!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Celie. I think the easiest would be to attach the top to a strip of fabric, but, I am going to sew another border of green hexagons and see how that will look. :)
DeleteSuch a beautiful quilt! I'm afraid I won't be much help with any advice for it. Maybe try the orange fabric next to it? I sure do miss Dancer, too. What an amazing kitty he was! I hope you have been doing well. I'm trying to pop in on my favorite blogs and get caught up. Hope you have a great weekend!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Mandy. Lovely to hear from you. I've been checking your blog every so often, but, haven't seen a new post. I hope you and your family are keeping well. Have a lovely weekend.
DeleteMy mother made one of those and she left the border 'scalloped' like yours is shown here. It was backed with an off white muslin and was very pretty when finished. I think it was probably hard to finish though. xo Diana
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing that, Diana. Yes, a scalloped border will be harder to finish than a straight edged border.
DeleteWow, this is a striking quilt and has a nice retro/trad vibe to it. After so long, you will be thrilled to get it finished. Sounds as if you have already made up your mind but if it were me I would fill the scallops with the green or partial flowers and green sides to make a straightish edge before finishing. I just think it will be stronger/less floppy, and a better fit for the bed. Either way, you will sleep well beneath it the first night!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Lady Ella. I think I was looking for a quick finish, but, I am now recognizing that a quick finish won't do it justice. I am planning to add a second row of solid green hexagons all around and then, I have a couple of other ideas to fill in any gaps to make a straight edge. :)
DeleteWhat a labor of love. It would brighten up a room.
ReplyDeleteAmalia
xo
Thank you, Amalia. I've been sewing it on and off for several years, but, would like to finish it, soon. This year, if possible!
DeleteIf it was me, and let's be honest that I don't have the skill, patience or persistence to do the amazing things that you do, I would follow the traditional route of having half flowers to square the edges and then a narrow binding. The purple would absolutely work as a binding or edging, and I've always loved purple and green together, if they're the right shades.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Lyssa. I have started cutting out green hexagons to put a second row of green as an edging. Then, I plan to do whatever I can to straighten out the edges. I have a couple of ideas...we'll have to wait and see if they work out. :)
DeleteI'm a big fan of the bright green because I like the two green shades together.
ReplyDeleteOne thing I would do (and this is just me and I understand it would be a little unbalanced for some people) is piece those 3 leftover flowers you have into 3 of the openings and just cut them off to fit and handstitch them closed. The binding would cover the rough edge.
I would continue on and make half flowers (or close enough to fit) for the rest of the scallops and get it all squared off.
I know - easy for me to say lol
Thank you, Debra. I haven't ruled out making some half flowers to fill in the gaps but, I am considering some other options, too. I was hoping to not have to make anymore hexagons, but, it looks like I will have to, so that's what I'm doing. :)
DeleteP.S. Forgot to say how pretty the quilt is and you must feel good after all these years as the finish line has appeared.
ReplyDeleteI also enjoyed seeing a young Dancer being such a good assistant,
Thank you, Debra. Yes, I'm looking forward to finishing this quilt! Aw, I miss my Dancer lending his helping paws with my projects. :)
Delete