Tuesday, September 22, 2026

The Front Garden in September

 

The Front Garden on September 21, 2026

This was how the front garden looked on Monday, September 21, 2026.  Not too different from how it had looked at the end of summer for several years, now, with the eucalyptus tree looming large, needing to be trimmed at least every other year.  Eucalyptus trees have shallow roots, they say and, as a result, they are more likely to topple over during storms.  In between the trimmings, every time there was a rain storm or we had strong Santa Ana winds, I'd peer anxiously at the tree, wondering if it would survive the storm and the winds intact.

Another Look

We have been warned that we will experience a very strong El Nino weather pattern this winter and I knew that I wanted to get the eucalyptus tree trimmed before that.  So, last week, I called the tree trimmers I've been using for the past several years and they sent out someone to look at the tree and give me an estimate.  Actually, I asked for two estimates - one for trimming and one for cutting it all the way down and removing it.

They came out this morning, just before 7:00 a.m.

Tree Trimming Equipment

But first, we had to figure out whose truck was blocking my drive way and ask them to move it!  Turned out, it was my next door neighbor's truck!

Work Begins

There was a crew of five workers plus the supervisor and lots of equipment:

Work in Progress

These guys were fast!  
Almost Done

Yes, I chose to have the tree cut down completely and removed.  Partly because the recurrent expense was getting to be a bit too much and partly because I was worried that the tree roots, which were quite big, might damage the foundation of the house.  

Removing the Stump

There was a machine to grind down the stump.  They had to remove some of the euryop bushes to maneuver the machine into place, but, I had been warned about that, before hand and I didn't mind it.  I had already had M remove the succulents we had planted under the eucalyptus tree.

The Stump Removed

What I didn't expect was for the guys to replant the euryop bushes and water them in, afterwards!  I thought that was very nice of them to do so.  Whether they will survive is a different matter!  

The Front Garden on September 22, 2026


It looks a bit different, doesn't it?  It's yet another change that I am making this year!  The whole thing was done in under three hours!

In the meantime, while the tree trimmers were cutting down my tree, one of my neighbors from across the street spoke to them and asked them to take down her tree, too!  Apparently, her neighbor had been complaining about the tree and she was, I guess, tired of the neighbor's complaints!  So, the tree trimmers took down her tree, too!  

The eucalyptus tree being gone is going to take a little getting used to.  But, the front garden make over has begun!

Today, I am grateful for:
- Being able to get the eucalyptus tree removed safely
- Having the budget to get that done
- All the specialized machinery and equipment which made the whole task seem to easy
- The guys replanting the plants they had to dig up to make room
- They were given an opportunity to do a second job while they were working on my tree

Later, in the afternoon, I went to the pharmacy to pick up my prescription refill and I decided to go ahead and put more gas to my car, as I was at half-tank, before the gas prices went up even higher.  The cheapest gas in my neighborhood was $6.05 per gallon and I put another $50 worth of gas.  That was my October gas budget.  I am thankful that I am able to dip into the October budget in September and I am grateful that gas is still available.  And that's all I'm going to say about that!

20 comments:

  1. It is truly a blessing to be able to forestall potential problems. The El Nino warnings seem extra strong this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary. The governor of our state has already preemptively declared a state of emergency in anticipation of the impacts of El Nino, especially along coastal areas, based on the damage we've already experienced due to recent storms. I'm not in a coastal area, but, still, better to get my place as storm ready as I can. :)

      Delete
  2. It definitely does look different. Thank you for sharing. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda. A year or so ago, I used to post monthly pictures of the garden to show how it changed (or not!) from month to month. I might have to start doing that, again.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you; I'll try to! There are a couple of other things I need to do to "batten down the hatches" before the storms arrive. Just need to find someone reliable to do them for me!

      Delete
  4. I have been reading about the expected winds this year. Smart move on your part!
    We have a giant oak tree near the corner of our house. I am afraid if the soil is sodden the tree will uproot and fall on the house. Right now TheHub and I are in a stalemate over having it removed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne. I am hoping that things won't be quite as severe as some people are forecasting, but, I believe in the saying, "Hope for the best, prepare for the worst".
      I hope you and your husband can come to an agreement over the oak tree. Perhaps compromise and have it trimmed way down?

      Delete
  5. Replanting the bushes is what I call good customer service! I hate to see trees come down, but I think you made the right decision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, June. I've been debating with myself for a few years now, whether to take the tree down or not, but, I think it needed to come down. It's one that I planted when I first moved into this house and I didn't quite expect it to get so big!

      Delete
  6. Those workemn did seem to go above and beyond, what with replanting and watering and then doing your neighbours tree. Brilliant service

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Angela. I've used them before, just for this very reason. They do good work. M refers them to his other clients, too.

      Delete
  7. Tree removal always includes the entertainment value of watching professionals make it look like a piece of cake! It certainly makes a change to your front yard, but I can see why you were concerned about the possibility of storm damage. That stump was massive! Perhaps you can plant a different kind of tree one day, something drought tolerant that doesn't grow like crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That it does, Bushlady. I did watch most of it from the living room window. I might relocate the bay leaf tree to that spot, later on, or something else. My daughter would like to get a fence put around the front garden and if we do that, then, I might be able to plant a couple of dwarf fruit trees.

      Delete
  8. Back when we were first married, the roots of a nearby tree affected where we were living so badly that the outer wall tilted away from the rest of the house and the bedroom floor wasn't attached to the back wall. Root damage is no joke and while I hate seeing trees go, it sounds like you made the correct decision. And the guys who did the work sound amazing. I hope all the rest of the plants survive.
    Two questions, do you have plans for the space and how did the chickens take it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, Lyssa, root damage is no joke. I didn't realize this tree would get so big when I first planted it!
      I don't really have any plans for the space, although I'd like to get it landscaped with some pathways or stepping stones and a bit of a cohesive design.
      As for the chickens, they are in the backyard and they are blissfully unaware of the front garden! LOL.

      Delete
  9. I agree it's always a pity to see a tree come down, but it was definitely the right decision in this case. It will be exciting to see how the garden makeover progresses. I hope the replanted shrubs survive but either way, now you have lots more space to play with. Have you noticed more light in the house too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lady Ella. Yes, I, too, hated to cut down the tree, but, I think it was the right decision in this case. There is definitely more light in the house, too. I would dearly like to see a more cohesive garden design, but, I don't quite know what I want. I'm going to look at some landscape designs over the next several weeks.

      Delete
  10. Your contractors did quick work of removing the eucalyptus tree, but it looks like they had some hefty equipment for the task. It always seems a shame to cut down trees, but it was a sensible decision given the close proximity to your house, and the possibility of it toppling over in a storm. The garden looks lovely. Do you get more light in the house now? X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they did have the equipment needed to get the job done, didn't they? I will plant a different tree somewhere else in the garden to replace the eucalyptus; probably a fruit tree so we could enjoy the fruit as well. I do get more light in the house without the tree. :)

      Delete

Thank you for visiting my blog and commenting. Your comments are much appreciated. Please comment in English. No Anonymous comments, please. And no links to other websites, especially advertising products. Thank you.