![]() |
| Garden Harvest |
I am definitely not a farmer! M pulled up the other two potato plants on Friday and pictured above are the twelve potatoes he dug up! Three of them are about the size of a small egg, three are smaller than that, and the other six are probably the size of quail eggs!
Of the eight corn plants we planted, three plants tasseled and formed one ear of corn each, two plants didn't do anything, and three plants got trampled by garden critters (I am assuming) and died. Of the three ears of corn, something ate one and you can see the other two, rather stunted ears of corn. Each is about three inches long, if that!
The plum like fruit is not a plum. It is a "blue" tomato, according to M, who grew it in his garden and brought it for us to try. We haven't tried it, yet, but, I believe the inside of the tomato is red.
Well, obviously, nothing much of a garden harvest,when it comes to potatoes and corn, this year. However, the kale plants are still growing like crazy and it looks like we'll have a nice moringa pods harvest, later this year.
On Saturday, daughter spent some time sorting through, packaging, and labeling all the seeds I've saved so far, to grow next year.. Yes, we are still planning to grow some vegetables next year, too. In fact, we've already bought four more metal raised beds as we've decided that raised beds, with wire mesh to keep the garden critters out, will be the best way to proceed.
I am grateful for:
- Even the tiniest of potatoes from the garden
- Daughter's enthusiasm to continue trying to grow vegetables
- M's help with the garden and willingness to help
- Water for the garden
- Optimism which enables us to keep trying to grow things in our dry and hot climate
Are you growing any vegetables in your garden? If so, are you getting a good harvest?

Even the tiniest potatoes can be a blessing
ReplyDeleteDefinitely, Angela. These were grown from potatoes that would have otherwise been composted, so, I'm very pleased to get anything. :)
DeleteI haven't had much luck growing potatoes or corn, either, so I haven't planted them in a while. I'm thinking about getting some raised metal beds. Do you have any recommendations?
ReplyDeleteI suppose our climate isn't really good for either of those crops, although, the first year I grew corn, I did harvest quite a few ears.
DeleteI really don't have a recommendation for the raised beds. My daughter ordered them online and they were chosen because they were on sale and relatively inexpensive. This is the first year we've used them (we have three now) and so far, they are holding up well.
There do seem to be a lot of options.
DeleteIf you like, I can ask my daughter which one she ordered and send you that information.
DeleteThe potatoes will be great. It's a pity about the corn but there is always next year... I am intrigued about the tomato but I suppose you will be cooking it so that will change the flavour anyway.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Lady Ella. These potatoes were grown from ones that were at the very bottom of a bag of potatoes that had started to grow and had gone soft. I decided to plant them instead of composting them. Two of them didn't grow, but two grew and provided us with the potatoes shown above.
DeleteBoth my daughter and I will have a tiny taste of the blue tomato before we cook it. Sometimes, my daughter will eat a piece of tomato with salt if she likes the taste. But, for the most part, we use it when we are cooking fish or chicken.
I am not good at farming or gardening, you are not alone.
ReplyDeleteI love ❤️ the list of things that you are grateful for. 🙏
Thank you, Linda. My gardening skills leave much to be desired, but I'm lucky to have my friend M tending to the garden for me. Gardening is his passion. :)
DeleteThey may not be prize winners but they are oh so fresh!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Bushlady. Yes, they are as fresh as they can be. :)
DeleteI agree with Bushlady!
ReplyDeleteNice to have some fresh produce and it sounds as though other things are growing quite nicely
Thank you, Sharon. Yes, other things are growing quite nicely and we picked some Asian pears, too, the other day. :)
Delete