Monday, August 3, 2026

Homegrown

 

Asian Pears

The garden is producing a few things for us to harvest.  The Asian Pear tree produced several fruits that we've shared with M and my friend R.  There are four different varieties grafted onto the one tree and they ripen at different times.  

I'm also beginning to pick pods from the moringa tree:

Moringa Pods

We peel the outer layer, cut the pods into smaller pieces, and cook them in a curry.  I shared some of the pods with friend R.

This year, we are also having homegrown eggs!

Fresh Eggs

Niwatori and Henny Penny have given us 17 eggs, between them, so far!  They are not quite free range, yet, but, I am starting to fancy that the yolks are turning a little yellower.  

We still have more calamondine to pick and process.  We will ask M to help because we can't reach the ones at the top of the tree.

I am grateful for:

- Garden produce
- Homegrown eggs
- Water for the garden
- M's help with the garden
- Daughter's help with the garden

Are you growing any fruits and vegetables in your garden, this year?  

10 comments:

  1. I have apples and pears ripening of the trees. And the rhubarb continues. And I have ONE red tomato!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for apples, pears, rhubarb and the one tomato! I can't grow rhubarb; I've tried several times because I love rhubarb and they are expensive to buy (and not every grocery store carries it) but, haven't had any success. It's too hot here, I suppose. I have a little apple tree I grew from a seed, but so far, it hasn't produced even a single flower, let alone any fruit! And my tomato plants have been burnt to a crisp from the summer heat!

      Delete
  2. What a great crop of pears! They look so delicious.
    Just strawberries and blueberries from my garden, this year. The blackcurrant bush barely produced any fruit at all. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jules. Strawberries and blueberries are lovely. Too bad the blackcurrent bush didn't produce well this year. Hopefully, it'll do well next year. :)

      Delete
  3. Nice harvest, including the eggs!
    My Asian pear has never produced any fruit. This winter I am going to give both pear trees an aggressive pruning and see if it helps a little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne. Yes, hopefully, a good pruning will encourage your pear trees to produce more fruit. My nectarine tree didn't produce any fruit this year and my plum tree produced one solitary plum!

      Delete
  4. Those eggs look amazing! It looks like you won't be running short of them for a while. Your hens are obviously happy and well looked after to produce so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lyssa. We are very pleased with the chickens and the eggs. I hope they'll keep laying even with all this heat we are having.

      Delete
  5. All those items look very tasty! Homegrown is the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda. We've been enjoying the Asian pears and the eggs; I've just finished cleaning and cutting the moringa pods and will cook them tonight (way too hot to cook, right now!)

      Delete

Thank you for visiting my blog and commenting. Your comments are much appreciated. Please comment in English. No Anonymous comments, please. And no links to other websites, especially advertising products. Thank you.