Friday, August 7, 2026

August Grocery Shopping - Week 1

August Week 1 Groceries
(milk and half & half not pictured)

I ordered groceries, yesterday (Thursday, August 6) and they were delivered this morning (Friday, August 7).  By selecting the next day delivery option (and by ordering the minimum of $36 worth of items), I get free delivery.  Since I very rarely need anything delivered right away, the next day delivery works quite well for me.

I needed half & half for my daughter's coffee and regular milk (I used up the last of the old half gallon of milk before it went bad to make yogurt and a flan, yesterday).

I checked my pantry cabinets and decided to stock up on condensed milk (we use it in our tea, instead of regular milk; I usually drink one or two cups of tea a day and daughter usually drinks one; we put one teaspoon of condensed milk per cup and a can will last us 10 days to two weeks, depending on if I drink a second cup of tea each day), sugar, baking powder, and a box of pancake mix (I now have two boxes of pancake mix, including the one I am currently using).  All of these items were at their regular prices.  I usually try to stock up when things go on sale, but, these items haven't gone on sale recently and I decided to go ahead and stock up on them now, while they are still available at today's regular prices, instead of waiting because future regular prices are likely to be higher!  

The bananas were at their regular price, but, the strawberries were on sale and I had an additional digital coupon to save $0.80 on two containers of strawberries.  I had a $0.40 off digital coupon for the cucumber, as well.  I love cucumber and I've tried to grow them in my garden, but, I've never been successful.  The poor plants die before they produce a second set of true leaves due to the heat!

Boneless pork chops were on sale for $3.99/lb. and I ordered a pack (about 4-6 pork chops per pack, according to the store website), but, the shopper texted me to let me know that there were no pork chops available at the store!  I almost didn't order the tray of chicken drumsticks because I still had a tray of them in the freezer and I was ordering the pork chops as well.  But, I thought I might as well buy another tray of chicken drumsticks while they were still priced at $5 for a 4.5 lb. tray.  I'm glad I ordered them, because I didn't get any pork chops, after all.

Here's the receipt:

Order Summary

Original Item Total$51.21
Item Coupons/Sales-$4.20
Order Coupons-$2.00
Fulfillment Fee+$0.00
Other Fees+$0.50
Sales Tax$0.00
Order Total$45.51

Item Details

14 Items

Cucumber, 1 ct$0.09
1 x $0.09 $0.49 each
Item Coupon/Sale: -$0.40
Fresh Bunch of Bananas – 5-7 Bananas, 1 bunch$1.63
2.36 lbs x $0.69 each (approx.)
Fresh Strawberries – 1 LB Clamshell, 1 lb$4.18
2 x $2.09 $3.99 each
Item Coupon/Sale: -$1.50
Item Coupon/Sale: -$0.80
Item Coupon/Sale: -$1.50
Kroger® Baking Powder, 8.1 oz$2.99
1 x $2.99 each
Kroger® Complete Buttermilk Pancake & Waffle Mix, 32 oz$3.49
1 x $3.49 each
Kroger® Fresh Uncooked Chicken Drumsticks, 4.5 lb$5.00
1 x $5.00 each
Kroger® Half and Half Half Gallon, 1/2 gal$5.49
1 x $5.49 each
Kroger® Sweetened Condensed Milk, 14 oz$13.16
4 x $3.29 each
Ralphs® Vitamin D Whole Milk Half Gallon, 1/2 gal$3.19
1 x $3.19 each
Smart Way™ Granulated Sugar, 10 lbs$7.79
1 x $7.79 each

Order Coupons

-$2.00

Store Coupon-$1.00
Store Coupon-$1.00

Other Fees

$0.50

Bag Fee$0.50
5 x $0.10 each

My grocery total came to $45.51.

In addition to what I bought today, I also spent $0.52 at the pharmacy on a box of granola bars on Monday when I went to pick up my prescription refills.  I had a $4.00 off coupon and another 25% off on any regular priced item coupon.  The granola bars were regular priced at $4.69, but, with my $4 off coupon and the additional 25% off coupon, I got the box of granola bars for $0.52.  I was quite happy with that.  



My August grocery budget (for food, only) is $250 plus $8.95 carried over from July = $258.95

Spent to date = $0.52 + $45.51 = $46.03

Balance left = $212.92

I'm pleased with my grocery spending so far this week.  

As always, I am grateful for:

- Being able to order groceries online
- Being able to have the groceries delivered
- Being able to stock up as needed
- Digital coupons and other offers
- The availability of groceries

Have you done any grocery shopping yet this month?  Are you finding some good prices?  Do you have a budget?  If so, are you able to keep to your budget?

14 comments:

  1. Hi dear friend, I have never thought of or used condensed milk for tea or coffee. I have used Carnation evaporated milk, in a can as well, and it is delicious 😋
    I purchased my groceries last Saturday and had the grocery store deliver them to my apartment.
    I didn't find any great deals, but I did get what I needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tea with condensed milk was considered a special treat when I was growing up. I switched to using condensed milk on a regular basis when I was living alone and I couldn't use up even half a gallon of milk before it went off. Evaporated milk is good, too and I keep a few cans of it on hand for emergencies, etc.
      I'm glad you were able to get the groceries you needed, even if you didn't find any great deals. Those deals are becoming harder and harder to find, aren't they?

      Delete
  2. I have regular milk in tea and coffee. I use condensed and evap for baking. When my girls were children, I would keep evap in the fridge and whip it up till it was thick,to pour over desserts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never tried whipping evaporated milk! I should try it. :)

      Delete
  3. For the first time this year, I am getting more than a couple cucumbers out of the garden. They usually grow well in our climate, but we get really hot, too. Not sure how all of that works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that you are getting more cucumbers this year, June. I think I need to plant my cucumbers earlier in the spring. Our heat and arid conditions make it difficult to grow many vegetables. All my zucchini and squash plants shrivelled up this year and most of the tomato plants are scorched, too. The kale, however, is going crazy! :D

      Delete
  4. What a pity about the pork chops, but at least you got the deal on the chicken drumsticks and they will be used, even if you do already have some in the freezer. I didn't buy much in the store today because DH is away, but I now have a 3 pack of romaine lettuce and I shall turn into a rabbit eating them by myself! 🐇

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Bushlady, I was sorry I couldn't get the pork chops, but, I'm glad I was able to get the chicken. Maybe I can get some pork another time. Enjoy your romaine lettuce! In addition to eating it fresh in salads, you can stir fry it, too. :)

      Delete
  5. What a shame about the pork chops! I suppose with such a good deal you weren't the only one hoping to buy some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was looking forward to the pork chops, but, it's okay. The chicken was cheaper, anyway. And I have some hamburgers for a change if I want some.

      Delete
  6. The deal on the granola bars was epic!
    I'm seeing a lot fewer deals in the supermarkets, especially for the basics. Getting things while they are still at a decent price makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lyssa. I like to take advantage of deals when I can. I am also well aware that the prices on a lot of items keep trending up due to various factors, so, I'm trying to stock up now.

      Delete
  7. You didn't spend too much for all you got. It's good you stocked up on some much used items and now you are set for a while. That's too bad your pork wasn't available. But at least you have the chicken.
    And .52 granola bars! Like you did, I like combining those CVS coupons to use on food items or sometimes toilet paper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Debra. Yes, I was able to keep the spending to a reasonable amount, wasn't I? My total would have been more if I had received the pork chops. Actually, I was able to get pork chops at an even better price this past week, so, I think it worked out well.
      I love being able to redeem those CVS coupons for something like cereal, granola bars, or a treat. :)

      Delete

Thank you for visiting my blog and commenting. Your comments are much appreciated. Please comment in English. No Anonymous comments, please. And no links to other websites, especially advertising products. Thank you.