![]() |
| Vegetables: Cabbage, Onions, Persian Cucumbers, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Green Beans, and Beets; |
I did my first grocery shopping for the month on Thursday, July 2, going in person to one of my favorite ethnic grocery stores. My main reason for going there was to buy salmon steaks on sale for $6.99/lb. and large, headless shrimp for $5.99/lb. Neither of which are included in my photos as they were put in the fridge as soon as I got home and I didn't want to take them out again to take photos. But, I bought six salmon steaks (came to $26.06) and just over one pound of shrimp (came to $6.32).
In addition to the salmon and shrimp, I bought a variety of vegetables and fruit.
![]() |
| Fruit: Bananas, Papaya, Cherries, Red Plums, White Peaches, Apples, and Nectarines |
Some of the items I bought were on sale or offer; others were regular price, but, this store's regular prices tend to be lower than the supermarket's regular prices on produce, so, I didn't mind paying their regular prices.
![]() |
| Treats: Rose Syrup, Chestnuts, Dates, Coconut Water |
My total came to $78.71. Here's the receipt:
![]() |
| Receipt |
![]() |
| Shrimp Curry |
I am grateful for:
- Being able to shop at the ethnic grocery store
- Weekly deals
- Treats
- A safe drive to the store and back





Some beautiful fruit and veg there!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Angela. This is the season for fresh fruit and vegetables, isn't it? :)
DeleteYou shouldn't have any problem eating all of the fruit and vegetables you need this week. Looks like you got plenty. :)
ReplyDeleteThank you, June. Yes, that's the intention, to eat a variety of fruit and vegetables. I haven't been meeting my 5 a day!
DeleteYour shrimp dish looks really good. I don't know how you manage to spend so little. I don't shop often, maybe once a month except for things like Milk, and occasionally have to pick up fresh veggies. But, I spent just over $800.00 on my last grocery run. Now, I have to qualify that and say it included a case of wine and some other adult beverages. The actual food was probably the cheaper part of that 800.00.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Sandy. The shrimp curry turned out really well and we had some for dinner and there's enough leftover for another meal, as well.
DeleteI used to budget $100 for myself for groceries. I increased it to $125 per person last August, when my daughter moved back home, partly because, contrary to campaign promises to lower grocery prices on Day 1, prices have increased! I don't include household items like paper goods, detergents, etc., in my grocery budget. I do include beverages like tea, coffee, juice, soda, etc. (we don't drink alcohol).
I try to shop the sales and refuse to buy certain things at full price.
That shrimp curry looks wonderful. I haven't bought any shrimp for a few weeks, I must look out for some. I have a favourite pasta dish with shrimp.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Bushlady. Daughter was suggesting we used some of the shrimp as a wonton filling, but, I opted for the curry! :) Shrimp and pasta sounds delicious, too. Maybe I'll buy more shrimp before the sale ends! :)
DeleteHello dear friend, I love the photos of your delicious looking fresh fruits and vegetables! You do so well!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Linda. This particular store gives good deals on fruit and veg and I stocked up! :)
DeleteYou did indeed buy a lot. But you bought a lot of really healthy foods, so that is great!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Anne. I wanted to get more produce than I have been buying recently and this store has good prices on produce and quite a variety.
DeleteLooks like a good shop, and now you have lots of rose syrup for the next love cake! (I take it you didn't buy the other bargains after all that.)
ReplyDeleteThank you, Lady Ella. The rose syrup is for faluda, mostly. I still have half of the bottle I bought, earlier, but, I wanted to get another one while the store still had them and the price was the same (imported items and tariffs, etc.) The love cake needs rose essence and I have a couple of bottles of that, already. :)
DeleteYou are right, I didn't buy the other bargains after all. My daughter had some concerns about me shopping at those particular stores and I figured her peace of mind was worth more than saving a few dollars.
I'm envious of the cherries. They are so expensive here, so I've put off buying any. Perhaps I'll treat myself to some at the weekend.
ReplyDeleteI've been using store vouchers to stock up on Salmon this month. Xx
Cherries are double the price at the regular supermarket and I haven't been buying any from them. However, it seems like I am paying a physical price for shopping in person as I've been having a sciatica flare up since then!
DeleteI do hope that you are able to treat yourself to some cherries at the weekend.
Well done using the store vouchers to stock up on salmon. :)
The fruit and veg all look so wonderful. It's good to have a few treats now and then!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Sharon. This is the time of year for fresh fruits and veggies, isn't it?
Deletehaha - when I got to the bottom where you say what you're thankful for, my eyes played a trick on me and for a second I thought it said that you were thankful for an avalanche of groceries. lol
ReplyDeleteWell - it sort of fits, right?
Lots of good fruits and vegetables with this shop.
I am glad you were able to visit this store and stock up (especially on that $6.99 salmon).
LOL, I'm not sure if I would want an avalanche of groceries, although, I did purchase a lot of items on this shopping trip. I'm happy with the fruits and vegetables I was able to buy on this trip and they will last us for another week. The salmon was a good deal, wasn't it?
Delete