![]() |
| Tiny Hole at Neckline |
I was sad to discover a tiny hole in one of my blouses, the other day, right near the corner of a square neckline, on the front of the blouse. The blouse is part of a twin set and quite old, but, it is a favorite piece that I wear quite often. The fabric is a knit weave, but, it is not something I had knitted.
![]() |
| Magnified |
Such little tears pose a bit of a dilemma for me. Do I mend it and get a little more wear out of something I have had and worn for years? Or, do I take it as a sign to dispose of it and consider that as decluttering a rather full closet of clothing? I couldn't donate it as it is, with a hole in it, but, if I mend it, then, would anyone want to wear a mended garment? I don't mind wearing mended garments, so, I decided to go ahead and mend it:
I didn't have the exact color of thread, but, I found a short length of embroidery thread (the last bit of that particular skein of thread) that was a close enough color. Hm, visible mending can be a statement, I suppose, but, my mending is not the neatest.
Enbroidery to the rescue! A little flower with lazy daisy stitch petals and a French knot center to disguise the mending!
![]() |
| Now You Don't! |
Enbroidery to the rescue! A little flower with lazy daisy stitch petals and a French knot center to disguise the mending!
The embroidered flower means that I will continue to wear this particular blouse for a little longer. That little flower has extended the useful life of this blouse.
I'm curious to know what you might have done. Would you have mended this blouse? Or, would you have disposed of it?




Fantastic job 👏 on the mending.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Linda. :)
DeleteThat is so pretty. I agree, I'm happy to wear a mended garment myself, but not to donate it.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Angela. I thought you'd approve of the mending. :)
DeleteThe little flower makes all the difference. Nice job. I don't mend as often as I could, so I probably would have continued to wear the blouse around the house until the hole got too big and then dispose of the blouse in a clothes recycling place.
ReplyDeleteThank you, June. My daughter has a couple of tops with small holes in them and I offered to mend them for her, but, she told me not to bother - she will wear them as pyjama tops and toss them when they get too holey! I must locate a clothes recycling place in my area.
DeleteI thought of embroidery first thing!! Well done!
ReplyDeletebobbie
Thank you, bobbie. I've several garments in my closet, now, with little flowers embroidered in random places! LOL.
DeleteThat is a great repair, and I would have wanted to do something like that on such an attractive blouse. I have a favourite twin set, too, and I stitched embroidered ribbon over a frayed edge!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Bushlady. I washed the blouse today and it is hanging in the closet waiting to be worn. Sewing the embroidered ribbon over a frayed edge was a brilliant idea!
DeleteWhat a great idea to add the little flower! I also would have mended it, but I didn't think of covering it with embroidery. That looks like a lovely top and I like the soft color .
ReplyDeleteThank you, Celie. I think the little flower covered up the mending quite nicely. :)
DeleteThat is a wonderful way to extend the wear of a favorite item. I probably would not have mended, but would have done like live and learn and worn it around the house until it was no longer wearable.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Anne. I will wear faded, baggy clothes around the house, but, try not to wear anything torn or with holes if I can help it. I mended another garment, today - a poncho that had a tear in the back. No embroidered flowers, this time, though. :)
DeleteI wouldn't have mended the blouse, as I haven't the skill, but that looks amazing, and the embroidery has improved the blouse. I hope that you get lots of wear out of it.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Lyssa. Knowing to sew is a useful skill, I think. Today, I have to sew on a button that came off a cardigan and mend the fraying edges of the cardigan sleeves. :)
DeleteSuch a great way of mending your blouse. You are very creative. Xx
ReplyDeleteThank you, Jules. I dida little more mending, today, on a cardigan. :)
DeleteI would certainly have tried to mend it but my finished result wouldn't have been as pretty as yours. The little flower is a stroke of genius!
ReplyDeleteAngie
Thank you, Angie. A little bit of embroidery or a decorative embellishment such as a ribbon bow or something, can go a long way towards disguising mending. :)
DeleteYep- I would have mended it if I loved it. I have one top I have mended a few times at the neckline. But it is one of my favorite tops and goes with several things I own/wear. Lovely job with the sweet little flower. xo Diana
ReplyDeleteThank you, Diana. Favorite garments are well worth a bit of repair to extend their useful life, aren't they? :)
DeleteI would definitely have stitched it. I doubt I would have thought of the flower but I would have tried my best with a matching thread, and then if it looked too tatty, just worn it around the house.
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear that you, too, would have mended it, Lady Ella. Most of my clothes are worn around the house, since I don't go out that much. But, I always like to add a touch of embroidery to various garments I sew or mend. :)
DeletePerfect! It looks great. The daisy covers up the area you weren't so happy with and now you've got your blouse back in action.
ReplyDeleteI would've absolutely mended it. I mend everything I can.
First of all, I really enjoy hand sewing and secondly, I feel a bit virtuous that I've extended the life of something. That sounds a bit braggy but there you have it.
Thank you, Debra. I love the fact that you mend everything you can. Mending adefinitely extends the life of the item and a little embroidery makes everything a little prettier, I think. I don't think it sounds braggy at all - we are being good stewards of what we've got, we are conserving limited resources (the material that went into making the item, our money, and the environment, too, by keeping items from going to the landfill) :)
Delete